Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
blemons
blemons began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Question How to manage large library on NST?

How do you manage the library on your NST?

I currently have over 1000 books (ok, yeah some I may never read... but still, I gotta do something with them...)

I do understand that only a few of my most recent books will initially download when I register - and I can pick and choose which others to download to the device at any time.

But I also understand that ALL new purchases will download... so I need to find some way to deal with that...

Both for physical space (if it comes to that) as well as not really wanting to scroll through EVERY book to find what I want to read.
I've also read that shelving isn't that great - and that you have to scroll through the full book list to add books to shelves... so adding a "to be read" shelf or even a shelf for books that have already been read... might not be as convenient as it seems.

I had thought about "archiving" books after they've been read.... that way I know what I have read... but that also means, I can't archive "other" books to get them off the device (unless it's a book I don't care about the "read" status of - and so long as I don't mind them "out of sight" (at least out of sight without making a point to go through the archive list - and plus that list could get quite long if I do that, too). But from what I've read so far, archiving "read" books seems the easiest way to track that - which is definitely something I want to do... track which books I've already read.

I will probably use calibre to manage my library somewhat - just not sure if I want to sideload everything - or still download direct from BN. So not exactly sure HOW or to what extent I'll use Calibre. Plus I'm not entirely sure what all is possible with it - as far as organizing and managing an e-book library.

And I will definitely backup through Nook PC at least. And then as part of my normal PC backup.

Any suggestions on specifically how to use calibre to manage a library (mostly just BN books at this time, but I do have some others) or any other suggestions as to what you do to manage your e-book library that might be helpful with the limited space on NST?

Yes, I do plan to get an SD card -that gives me more space but not sure about the e-book management side - what you can/can't do with books on the card (whether its the same or different from internal memory or what that even is - for either type of storage).

I don't have my device yet - but it is being shipped so expecting it soon.
Just trying to get a head start and get a plan in place (even if I update/change it) so i can try to get a handle on it before it gets too out of control.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Berit
blemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Welcome to the forum.

I strongly recommend you use Calibre to manage your library. I added a custom column to mark the books I have read. Or, if you don't rate your books, you can use the existing star rating column to indicate whether the book is read, soon to be read, etc.

I don't like to sort through a lot of books on my NST to decide what to read next, so I seldom have more than 30 books on it at any given time. I delete each book from the reader when I'm finished - using Calibre - and then side load a new book. It works for me.

Enjoy your Nook,
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
blemons
blemons began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thanks!

I appreciate the input.

Berit
blemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I strongly recommend you use Calibre to manage your library. I added a custom column to mark the books I have read. Or, if you don't rate your books, you can use the existing star rating column to indicate whether the book is read, soon to be read, etc.

I don't like to sort through a lot of books on my NST to decide what to read next, so I seldom have more than 30 books on it at any given time. I delete each book from the reader when I'm finished - using Calibre - and then side load a new book. It works for me.

Enjoy your Nook,
Yes use calibre, get to know Apprentice Alf, and sideload everything. Get a micro sd card and load all your books on it. shelves

I use calibre to make a catalog of the books on my Nook, load the catalog on the nook, then I look through the catalog to find a book to read, then use the search fuction on the nook to find the book. With over 1000 ebooks on the nook that is the only way to find books easily. Shelving is not a good option if your keep a lot of books on the nook.

The lack of being able to organize your libary is the one weakness of the nook.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 12-02-2012 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spellling
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote