Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 01-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Daft Willie
Daft Willie began at the beginning.

Pepper Users: odd question: while prone?

Silly question of the day.

My main interest in this Pepper thing is as a microlaptop replacement (going to go for the 1GB mem upgrade) and carrying handy well-used pdf reference manuals and such around. But seriously, is there anyone who can deny themselves the joy of reading themselves to sleep?

So, embarassingly silly question, but...with the wings and all, it looks like it'd be pretty comfy to read while lying down? Book-style, on your chest? My current guilty pleasure is a favorite author or two on fictionpress on my Palm TX, with Plucker doing autoscroll, and it's wonderful. Anybody tried it with the PP?
Daft Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I normally use the Pepper Pad sitting in an armchair, but I just tried it lying down on my chest. This does work well if you are willing to hold the PP3 upright - the screen isn't at the right angle when resting with its stand on your chest.

I don't know if there is a dedicated Plucker reader for Linux. FBReader works well on plucker files, but it does not have autoscroll. I find scrolling pages with the large scroll wheel works for me.

The PP3 is great for PDFs, since it runs the i386 Linux version of Adobe's Acrobat Reader. This can take a while to initially process the document (slow Geode processor), but then rescales and page flips quickly.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Daft Willie
Daft Willie began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
I don't know if there is a dedicated Plucker reader for Linux. FBReader works well on plucker files, but it does not have autoscroll. I find scrolling pages with the large scroll wheel works for me.
Good point...the only ways to scroll on the TX are the clickbuttons (annoying, since you jump by n lines and it's not smooth on your eyes) or with the pen (annoying.)

Thanks wallcraft! This thing looks neat.
Daft Willie is offline   Reply With Quote