Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The Safari Reader Arms Race Begins

Interesting take on Apple's new Safari 5, which has a "Reader" option that basically removes ads and other distractions, and presents just the text of a webpage (a bit similar to what some RSS feeds, or Instapaper does)

http://jimlynch.com/index.php/2010/0...s-race-begins/

Quote:
Apple, by adding Reader to Safari 5, is essentially trying to force an ebook style interface onto the web reading experience. It will never work out over the long haul because web publishers will resist and the end result will be an arms race, with publishers on one side and Apple on the other.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
yeah. i tried it. was not at all impressed.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Reader option is an implementation of Readability, see Apple lifted 'make web go away' button from open source. Apple will most likely make this much more popular than the original, which seems to give you more control of its output.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
I like the reader function, as I hate reading long web articles in a web browser. I have been using Instapaper to read long web pages, but I like the Safari Reader function as well as the Readability bookmarklet that works on Firefox and Chrome and possibly other browsers.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
I hope apple puts the Safari reader functionality on the ipad browser.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert