Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
gojira
gojira began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
general questions about programming the Sony Reader

I am able to program in various programming languages, usually I program in C++ but I am also familiar with Assembler, Prolog...

I have experience programming "normal" computers as well as programming in environments where the vendor tries to prevent the user and owner of the device from programming (i.e. I have programmed for the PSP using custom firmware and a cross-compiler. I also programmed for mobile phones.), so I have some grasp of the complications that might be involved in programming devices like ebook-reader. I am new to ebook-readers, just ordered a Sony 505 and when I receive it I would like to program it.

I have read a few threads in this forum and do not understand what's the current state of the art regarding programming the Sony Reader 505.

I would be thankful if someone could tell me what is possible and what not, especially: *can* the Sony Reader 505 be programmed in the first place, without restrictions, in C or C++?

If yes, does it require a custom firmware, similar to development on the PSP?

If not, can it be programmed in JavaScript?

Is it possible to make software that runs on unmodified hardware, and looks like official soft?
gojira is offline   Reply With Quote