Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
rocep
rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ipad 2
Replacement for a paper and pen

I need a way to replace the paper and pen. The M92 is good for writing in an blank page with the wacon stylus? After writing, I can export the image as jpeg or pdf?
rocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx M92
Hi rocep,

I would not use the M92 as a real replacement for pen and paper. Here's why:
- The stylus stops working sometimes. You need to move it away from the screen for ~2 seconds in order to make it work again. This happens very frequently, making writing a bit of a hassle.
- No "coulours". You can choose between black and white as colours. Although the M92 would - in theory - allow several shades of grey, those are not available for writing.

You need to ask yourself if you need to write quickly (e.g. in class, in a business meeting...). If that is the case, you will probably not be happy with the M92. Otherwise, it might be a viable option.

What you can do with the M92:
- Scribbling on an unlimited amount of pages (with different backgrounds - lines, squares, blank...)
- Scribble rather precisely (very good recognition of the stylus' position)
- Export your notes to pdf

My personal experience is that the M92 is not a suitable replacement for pen and paper. If that is the only reason you consider buying an M92, you might want to invest into a tablet pc instead. It is a great device wrt the functionalities concerning displaying electronic documents (the best available device on the market, actually), but its focus is not on writing.

I hope this helps.
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocep View Post
I need a way to replace the paper and pen. The M92 is good for writing in an blank page with the wacon stylus?
It really depends on what you exactly need. There is a issue with pen stopping writing if it is for 1-2 seconds close to screen and not moving. The problem is known for 8-9 months and Booxtor never replied that Onyx works on that or it will be fixed, so I guess we cannot expect it will be fixed soon. (Maybe it is not possible.)

I like M92 and I use it sometimes for making notes, but I would not probably recomend it to buy for just this purpose.

You could use LiveScribe pen. It is a digital pen with a dictaphone. The result is digitized handwriting and the voice. I do not have personal experience, but it seems to be cool. You need a special paper with microdots.
http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

There are also note-digitizers like G-Note 7100 by Genius and others using other technologies.

If I were student or a person that heavily interacts with people and makes notes, I would probably go for LiveScribe or something similar. Synchronisation of notes and sound seems to me very cool.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
I've bought the M92 as a replacement for pen and paper myself.

I've been using high-end tablets and convertibles for years, in an effort to use them to replace pen and paper, but after all these years I can say that, at least for me, TFT devices are no viable option replacement for two reasons:

The eye strain which comes with a TFT and prevents you from reading books and your own notes comfortably

and, more importantly,

The battery life is unbearably short

On the other hand, the M92 appears to be a technically less fancy device but, imho much better suited to serve as a pen-and-paper replacement. It's only black and white and the rendering quality is mediocre, indeed, but if my main intention is to make notes and recall them at any time, that's good enough for me.

With regard to the "stylus stops working frequently" issue, for which I've also created a thread, Booxtor told me that this is in fact not supposed to happen and I consquently sent in the device for him to have a look.

I agree that if this issue was persistent, writing could become more than an annoyence by itsself - but if this is indeed a bug which can be fixed, I find the M92 very handy for a pen-and-paper replacement.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
With regard to the "stylus stops working frequently" issue, for which I've also created a thread, Booxtor told me that this is in fact not supposed to happen and I consquently sent in the device for him to have a look.
It happens to me, but since I know how to avoid it and how to handle it if it happens I can live with it. I did not buy from Booxstor and anyway it is not so big issue for me as to send M92 somewhere abbroad for a fixup or replacement....

If someone wants M92 for reading and annotating and taking notes, than M92 is probably the best in the world. Not perfect, but still the best.
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I've been using high-end tablets and convertibles for years, in an effort to use them to replace pen and paper, but after all these years I can say that, at least for me, TFT devices are no viable option replacement for two reasons:

The eye strain which comes with a TFT and prevents you from reading books and your own notes comfortably

and, more importantly,

The battery life is unbearably short
I read on laptops and on my iPad all day long, every day. I suspect that you're probably reading this on an LCD screen right now, aren't you?

High-end tablet, such as the iPad, will give you 12h+ usage time. That's more than enough for me. I recharge my iPad every evening, and it more than lasts me through the following day.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
rocep
rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rocep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ipad 2
After research, I believe the best solution for replace pen and paper is the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. The performance seems to be similar to Wacon bamboo capure for PC, with 1024 level of pressure.
rocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Mono
Mono

Well, I have LCD screen, highquality screen tablet and e-ink M92. Each of them has advantages and disadvantages. I use all 3 heavilly. Each one for what it was designed for. Up to date there is not an ideal all-purpose gadget available. It will be when e-ink will be capable of at least 65k color shades, and the speed of refreshment will rise a bit and it will be posslible to roll the screen (the device). It is only a question of time.

For reading & scribling in text M92 wins. Highend tablet might be good solution if scribling is not needed or just from time to time... 12+ hour usage might be enought if you can charge every day, but it is not always possible. And it is also more comfortable to charge only time from time.

EDIT:
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. - might be option if one needs scribling and does not mind LCD screen. To be honest, I am not sure if e-ink has advantage (eystrain - wise) over good LCD tablet for indoor use. Outside, if there is lot of sun, e-ink wins by its nature.

Last edited by Mono; 11-22-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I have an M92, but I prefer writing on my Asus Eee Note (EA-800), which I use every day at work. The screen lacks the high contrast of eink, but the writing is much better. Available on Ebay for USD 200, brand new, incl. international shipping. Please note that the Evernote upload function has been broken for some months now, not sure if it will be fixed. But you can still get your notes off the device using the included free sync software (Windows only). There are many reviews and videos online, see if you like it.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I read on laptops and on my iPad all day long, every day. I suspect that you're probably reading this on an LCD screen right now, aren't you?

High-end tablet, such as the iPad, will give you 12h+ usage time. That's more than enough for me. I recharge my iPad every evening, and it more than lasts me through the following day.
Apple's over-prices gadgets are not an option for me, by mere principle. Besides, they're not at all high-end. If you happen to be happy with reading on an LCD, that's a great advantage for you. I'm not - especially not on a train-ride where the strain to the eyes becomes unbearable.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your choice, of course, but personally I think the iPad 3 is simply unbeatable as a PDF reader (an activity I spend a lot of my time doing).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
por
Groupie
por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.por is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:

I agree that if this issue was persistent, writing could become more than an annoyence by itsself - but if this is indeed a bug which can be fixed, I find the M92 very handy for a pen-and-paper replacement.
Please ManDay share with us if Booxtor was eble to resolve this issue for you, when you get more information.
por is offline   Reply With Quote