Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #1
Valdhor
Valdhor began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Hey from Rocky Mount, NC

Well, I have had my reader for 4 days now - My wife was flipping channels one day last week and stopped on ShopNBC. Lo and behold they were selling it for $149.99 She remembered that I had been wishing for a reader for a while and ordered it as an early birthday present. I love her so much

Anyway, I am an ex-pat Kiwi now living in Rocky Mount, NC.

This forum has already helped me a great deal and is bound to help lots more. Thanks very much.

Steve
Valdhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks for the nice words about MobileRead, and welcome!

You got a great deal on the Reader, and I hadn't realized they were offered on ShopNBC. You said your wife had been wanting one for a while - how did she first hear about it and get interested?

In fact, that's an interesting question for people in general. I'll have to post something...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 AM   #3
robyn
robyn began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader / htc wizard / tablet pc
Hmm, I could have used a price like that.
robyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Valdhor

Actually, I have been interested in one for a while and she remembered that when she saw them on ShopNBC so she bought it for me.

I had (Died awhile back) a Hiebook for a long time (I purchased 92 ebooks for it). After it died I had been looking for a replacement and then the Sony Reader came out. I had been wanting a reader ever since they were announced.

So, after I got it, I redownloaded all 92 of my books in .lit format (All purchased from fictionwise) and converted them to LRF. Now they are looking real pretty on the reader ;-)

Last edited by Valdhor; 08-10-2007 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
digicatz
digicatz began at the beginning.

Device: considering the Sony model for the $299, with $150 worth of ebooks +
Cool How was the conversion process? Lit --> LRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdhor View Post
Actually, I have been interested in one for a while and she remembered that when she saw them on ShopNBC so she bought it for me.

I had (Died awhile back) a Hiebook for a long time (I purchased 92 ebooks for it). After it died I had been looking for a replacement and then the Sony Reader came out. I had been wanting a reader ever since they were announced.

So, after I got it, I redownloaded all 92 of my books in .lit format (All purchased from fictionwise) and converted them to LRF. Now they are looking real pretty on the reader ;-)
Was the conversion automatic? ie require much cleaning up? What program did you use? I've been waiting for this tech since I first heard about E-ink seams like ages ago, back when it was just out of MIT. Glad to see Sony got a reader out in a more polished model and better starting price. If I were working now or if the Sony did newspapers and mags as well, I think I would have one. Its still tempting.
digicatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by digicatz View Post
Was the conversion automatic? ie require much cleaning up? What program did you use? I've been waiting for this tech since I first heard about E-ink seams like ages ago, back when it was just out of MIT. Glad to see Sony got a reader out in a more polished model and better starting price. If I were working now or if the Sony did newspapers and mags as well, I think I would have one. Its still tempting.
You can use lit2lrf to do a quick and easy conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #7
Valdhor

Just as JSWolf said, I used lit2lrf and it worked perfectly. All of the books I bought for the Hiebook now show up on the reader and, I must admit, look even better than they ever did on the Hiebook.

I may try to revive the Hiebook one of these days but it is definitely on the back burner - with the reader I have everything I have ever wanted .
Old 08-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Valdhor

One thing that I do a lot of (And I'm probably pretty lucky here as my workplace has a copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro) is saving PDF's as HTML 4.01 with CSS. I then use html2lrf to convert for the reader and the result is very good. There have been a few times that I need to clean up the Adobe rendered HTML (Adobe really likes to use SPAN's - sometimes to the point of rediculousness).