Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Akrite
Akrite began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Converting AZW4 print replica into PDF format.

Does anyone know what settings to mess with to get this to work? As it sits right now it reorganizes the pages. Sorry I'm a bit of a novice but I have the latest möbius pack plugin and there is no DRM on the files I wish to convert. Help!
Akrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Earthlark
Earthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
In case you haven't yet found the answer you were seeking, have a look in this KindleUnpack - The Plugin thread.

After you install the plugin, highlight the file in Calibre that you want to unpack and click on the plugin button.
Earthlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes, by all means... don't convert an AZW4 to PDF. It's already a PDF inside the MOBI/Palmdoc wrapper. It just needs to shed its skin. KindleUnpack (standalone or plugin) is your best bet for that (as was already mentioned).

With the KindleUnpack plugin installed, highlight a DRM-free AZW4, and select "Extract PDF" from the AZW4 submenu of the KindleUnpack menu (either on the toolbar or the context menu... depending on the options you chose when first installing the plugin).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-03-2013 at 02:43 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
nethead72
nethead72 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Error unpacking e-textbook

calibre, version 1.20.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>MemoryError</b>:

calibre 1.20 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.extractio n", line 225, in print_replica
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.utilities ", line 265, in getPDFFile
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack. kindleunpack", line 1441, in unpackBook
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack. kindleunpack", line 279, in __init__
MemoryError

This file is Hole's Anatomy and Physiology, 13th edition, purchased from kindle for android, downloaded to kindle for pc, hacked with DeDRM stand alone with working python, confirmed there is NO DRM on the book, it opens and runs fin in calibre 1.2, but the file is 414Mb. This same procedure worked fine for my other textbook, which was 68Mb, so I assume its a file size issue causing memory errors. Any thoughts? I have C++ compiler, I can make modifications to the program if it is simple, i do not know python, but I'm pretty good with C and variants of C.
nethead72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nethead72 View Post
calibre, version 1.20.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>MemoryError</b>:

calibre 1.20 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.extractio n", line 225, in print_replica
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.utilities ", line 265, in getPDFFile
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack. kindleunpack", line 1441, in unpackBook
File "calibre_plugins.kindleunpack_plugin.kindleunpack. kindleunpack", line 279, in __init__
MemoryError

This file is Hole's Anatomy and Physiology, 13th edition, purchased from kindle for android, downloaded to kindle for pc, hacked with DeDRM stand alone with working python, confirmed there is NO DRM on the book, it opens and runs fin in calibre 1.2, but the file is 414Mb. This same procedure worked fine for my other textbook, which was 68Mb, so I assume its a file size issue causing memory errors. Any thoughts? I have C++ compiler, I can make modifications to the program if it is simple, i do not know python, but I'm pretty good with C and variants of C.
Kindleunpack is a python script. You could try running as a stand-alone script instead of as a calibre plugin. But for a 414MB book I expect you'll need at least 1GB free memory, possibly more.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
nethead72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Kindleunpack is a python script. You could try running as a stand-alone script instead of as a calibre plugin. But for a 414MB book I expect you'll need at least 1GB free memory, possibly more.
Your advice was flawless. I used the KindleUnpack stand alone, only took seconds to extract it as a .pdf

Take that greedy amazon and greedy publishers.

Cheers.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
nethead72

What is this?

When I used the script to unpack the book, it produced several files and a folder with several files inside it. It worked fine with the smaller book, producing a finished .pdf which i can open in acrobat and reader. I am curious what I can do with the unusual file type .rawpr

FCIS52933.dat
FLIS52932.dat
header_PR.dat
Hole's Human Anatomy & Physiology, 13th edition_nodrm.001.pdf (0kb)
Hole's Human Anatomy & Physiology, 13th edition_nodrm.rawpr (423,426kb)

Folder named "mobi7"
Hole's Human Anatomy & Physiology, 13th edition_nodrm.opf
Folder named "Images"
image files of cover

Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not without checking the source, which I can't do until this evening.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
nethead72

Files to Play With

Below is a link to my drop-box with a 7zip containing all pertinent files and some logs for my attempts to extract the e-text to pdf. It is 688Mb in size. Also a copy of the original .azw4 after i removed the drm. When you get the time, i would be very grateful if you would take a look and offer some suggestions. I don't want to hit my clipping limit on this text before my class is over.

Thank you in Advance,

Levi

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jiebpoj3tcv28f6/Files.7z
Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
nethead72

[SOLVED] Memory error issue

After several long hours, i found my answer in an obscure post deep inside the kindleunpack forum discussion. I upgraded to 64 bit calibre, and behold, plugin worked perfectly, flawless .pdf file in seconds for the big books as well as the smaller ones.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
awmiller
awmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Zero size PDF returned

Hello, thank you for your plugin and for being an excellent community resource.

I have just tried setting up the plugin with both the Zip and the standard interface offered through Calibri's plugin manager (creates a toolbar icon, use icon etc...). Both result in a zero kb pdf.

Any thoughts? is there any debug info I can collect for you?

Thank you much!

-Andrew
awmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmiller View Post
Hello, thank you for your plugin and for being an excellent community resource.

I have just tried setting up the plugin with both the Zip and the standard interface offered through Calibri's plugin manager (creates a toolbar icon, use icon etc...). Both result in a zero kb pdf.

Any thoughts? is there any debug info I can collect for you?

Thank you much!

-Andrew
For most azw4s you'll also need to remove the DRM. See Apprentice Alf's blog.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
awmiller
awmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
For most azw4s you'll also need to remove the DRM. See Apprentice Alf's blog.
I was able to remove DRM.
Thanks -A
awmiller is offline   Reply With Quote