Old 04-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
urbie
Enthusiast
urbie began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
PRS-T1, Calibre and Collections

Hi

I'm using Windows 7, Calibre 0.8.46, Prs-T1 firmware 1.0.04.12210
I can't get transfering the Metadata "Tag" in Calibre to become Collections on the Reader
Calibre Settings:
Under "Sending Books to devices": Metadatamanagement set to automatic and template to {authors} - {title}
Preferences, Advanced,Sony PRS-T1 device interface plugin: Save Template: {authors} - {title} and metadatafields: tags

The file ".metadata.calibre",that calibre puts on the sony, shows that the Tag is transfered in some way.

"tags": ["Roman"],

However my Reader refuses to make on Calibre Tags based Collections. I'm trying now for days, hard resetted, formatted and so on.
Slowly get desperated

Can someone please give a clue or diagnostic method to solve this problem

Thanks, Ben
urbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
I'm no calibre expert but I can suggest posting your question in the calibre forum for more help.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
You need to look at the Device Interface Plugin for the PRS-T1. It's Under Advanced then Plugins, then Device Interface Plugins. Click on the PRS-T1 And you will see a field where you can list the Calibre Metadata fields that are turned into collections on the device. By default mine was set to create a collection for each series and tag, but you can add or delete as needed

****EDIT****

Sorry, on re-reading your post I see you have that setting already. I can confirm that it works, in fact I turned the Tag option off as it created way to many collections. Maybe try setting the filed to Author and see if the collections are then created by author? That woudl tell you if Calibre and the Sony were interfacing correctly and if so maybe it is a problem with your tags?

Last edited by geoffwood; 04-08-2012 at 06:38 PM.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'll move this to the calibre forum. Hopefully someone there can answer urbie's question.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Tags and Collection are not exactly the same thing

There are steps to create a Collection FROM tags (while the books are being sent) http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id25
be sure the name is 'tags'

BTW did I see square brackets as part of the tag? Square brackets are the default ignore tag when creating a 'Catalog'. I don't know the effect on collections
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	85029  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
theducks is correct. Any Calibre tag with a name in square brackets will not create a Sony Collection. So if you have 2 tags [Fiction] and Thriller, you will get a Thriller Collection but not a Fiction Collection.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
urbie
Enthusiast

Calibre, Tags & Square Brackets

Hi
Tnx for the suggestions. Many eastern eggs later there is a glimps of a solution. Of course my next question is; What causes Calibre to place square brackets around the Tag ? Beneath is the content of the file .metadata.calibre as placed on my reader. Don’t know the relevance but in addition the “tagline” is spread over more lines.
When I edit the file on the reader (remove brackets), the next time Calibre connects the brackets are back !

Content of the file .metadata.calibre placed on the sony reader

[
{
"rating": 10,
"author_sort": "Bakker, Bram & Jong, Koen de",
"application_id": 638,
"pubdate": "2011-01-01T00:00:00+00:00",
"series": null,
"author_sort_map": {
"Jong, Koen de": "Jong, Koen de",
"Bakker, Bram": "Bakker, Bram"
},
"publication_type": null,
"size": 1679408,
"author_link_map": {
"Jong, Koen de": "",
"Bakker, Bram": ""
},
"uuid": "2c67950d-c771-4623-9d4a-a2854cf1a4f0",
"title": "Bewegen voor beginners",
"user_categories": {
"Reeksen": []
},
"comments": "<p class=\"description\">Bewegen is goed <br></p>",
"languages": [
"nld"
],
"user_metadata": {},
"thumbnail": [
"/"
],
"db_id": null,
"tags": [
"Gezondheid"
],
"timestamp": "2012-04-03T21:00:31+00:00",
"mime": null,
"authors": [
"Bakker, Bram",
"Jong, Koen de"
],
"publisher": "Carrera",
"series_index": null,
"lpath": "Bakker, Bram & Jong, Koen de/Bewegen voor beginners - Bakker, Bram & Jong, Koen de.epub",
"rights": null,
"title_sort": "Bewegen voor beginners",
"cover": null,
"book_producer": null,
"identifiers": {
"isbn": "9048809959"
}
},]
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You need to make the correction to remove he brackets in Calibre - not on the Reader. Calibre assumes it's copy is the master.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
urbie
Enthusiast

I know, but where ? Removing brackets on the reader was just a test. In the metadatafield "Tags" on Calibre i just filled in the plain Tag name.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
You only need to concern yourself with square brackets around tags if they appear in the Tags column of the Calibre window. Square brackets in the metadata.calibre file are Calibre internal data structure related. Make your life easy - don't open metadata.calibre
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbie View Post
I know, but where ? Removing brackets on the reader was just a test. In the metadatafield "Tags" on Calibre i just filled in the plain Tag name.
"Tag" or "tags"? If you have the Collection creation field correctly set to just "tags" I would have expected Calibre to have created a collection on the device called "Gezondheid" as that appears to be the entry in the tags field.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
urbie
Enthusiast

Thats what i want....making life easy Rather than poking around in .metadata.calibre i would like to read a good book. But i also want to have my book collection neat organized in that [made unreadable] collections.
So i falsely assumed the brackets in the file where the cause.
Hope someone can point me the right direction
To avoid more misunderstandings here my most relevant settings in calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calib1.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	85079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calib2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	85080   Click image for larger version

Name:	calib-3.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	85081  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-09-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Change oversized images to attachments.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
geoffwood
Addict

It all looks correct to me. Have you tried using series or authors instead of tags to see if that works?

Any collections created are deleted when you change that field, so it wouldn't clutter your machine with unwanted collections after testing. If I set Tags in that field I get 1200+ collections, but as soon as I change it back to series it drops back down to 58.

This would at least tell you if collection creation is working properly. If it is then it wodl narrow the issue down to something in your tags
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
urbie
Enthusiast

no change

Nope…changing from “Tags” to “Authors” or “Series” makes no difference.
Does that mean the Sony software doesn’t form collections from the Calibre metadata ? I did a Factory Reset to be sure.
Another “strange” behavior which can point to software problems (Geoff also owns a PRS-T1 so he can tell). When I push the (hided) reset button the Reader freezes, doesn’t react anymore on any touch. Need to switch off and on by the Power button to continue.
(sorry for the oversized pictures earlier in this thread)
Old 04-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbie View Post
...(sorry for the oversized pictures earlier in this thread)
No problem. BTW, if you click on the thumbnails, you'll see a larger picture, and if you double-click, a larger picture will open in a separate tab of your browser.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, collections, prs-t1