Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
billywhizz666
billywhizz666 began at the beginning.

Device: amazonkindle wi fi
Angry just got one for xmas ,,,help please

so so sorry to all you guys who are gonna hate my type,the he got one for xmas brigade,,but what can i do??

im so new to this its a joke but maybe one of you kind and goodlookin folk will take pity an help me,,here i go

i have a new dell laptop which has wifi on it but not bein used,,,an i do not have any other wi fi hotspot nearby,,can i use the laptop to let me connect to wi fi on kindle?

it says you can use your usb lead to order books off amazon,,i do have an account but when i connect to my laptop i get the message,,if you want to read or shop on kindle while continuin to chargeover usb,, keep usb attached buteject your kindle from your pc,,,

eject eject what the hell does that mean,,,theres nothin in my laptop to eject

my mate let me use his wifi to play with my kindle at his house,,now its sayin ,,peters kinole,, an his name is not even peter an i cannot de-register it as i cannot get a wi fi signal

aww come on don,t be like that i told you i was a dummy,,any help guys please
billywhizz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billywhizz666 View Post
so so sorry to all you guys who are gonna hate my type,the he got one for xmas brigade,,but what can i do??
Don't worry, we don't hate people just because they are new to ereading.

Quote:
i have a new dell laptop which has wifi on it but not bein used,,,an i do not have any other wi fi hotspot nearby,,can i use the laptop to let me connect to wi fi on kindle?
Probably not. You need a wifi router/hotspot to create a wifi network. Most laptop can't do that.

Quote:
it says you can use your usb lead to order books off amazon,,i do have an account but when i connect to my laptop i get the message,,if you want to read or shop on kindle while continuin to chargeover usb,, keep usb attached buteject your kindle from your pc,,,
If your Kindle is registered with your Amazon account, you can buy Kindle books just like other things through your browser. After you bought a book you have two ways to get your book onto your Kindle:

1) Sent the book to your Kindle and connect the Kindle through wifi to the internet.

2) Download the book to your laptop/pc, connect the Kindle through USB to the laptop/pc, and copy the book to the Kindle.

Quote:
eject eject what the hell does that mean,,,theres nothin in my laptop to eject
If you have connected your Kindle to your laptop through USB, the Kindle will show up as an USB device. If you use Windows, you can see it by opening the Explorer. If you right click on the Kindle in the Explorer the context menu will contain an element "eject". That is meant by the message.

If you eject the Kindle, the computer does not recognize it as an USB device anymore until you reconnect it.

Quote:
my mate let me use his wifi to play with my kindle at his house,,now its sayin ,,peters kinole,, an his name is not even peter an i cannot de-register it as i cannot get a wi fi signal

Someone else will probably be able to help you with that.

On a side note: Could you, please, try to use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation? Around here are many people who's native language is not English. They are more likely to help you, if they understand your problem.

Cheers.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
stevo9er
stevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enoughstevo9er will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
You can use your laptop as a hotspot using ICS - Internet Connection Sharing. (Windows 7 Starter might not have this).

Read this.. How to enable ICS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Then this how to create a ad-hoc connection on the wifi adapter..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/adhoc.mspx#2

Super basic instructions:

basically go into your adapter settings.. right click the LAN one, properties, advanced, internet sharing, share it with your wifi

I would then disable it renable it let it reconnect

Now right click your wireless connection (wifi adapter) , properties, wireless networks, click "add", make a new ad hoc connection.
stevo9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:

When you've your own router, connected to the laptop, and set up a wifi-network, your Kindle will see it and ask for the password-----home-menu-seting-wifi settings-----and connect.
Then you'll be able to connect your Kindle to Amazon.com and be able to register/deregister, buy books and make collections on your Kindle (see manual). You can have different WiFi networks on your Kindle. If you go to your friends house again, the Kindle will make a connection with that network.

Or you can have a mobile hotspot with which your Kindle and computer can connect. I have a MIFI 2352 that connects to the Kindle as well.

But ' Peters Kindle" ? The Kindle has to be registred to your name and account. I would seriously look into that and in doubt phone or email Amazon.

Good luck.

Last edited by desertblues; 12-28-2010 at 08:48 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #5
Jedi Beavis
Jedi Beavis is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
The Kindle has to be registred to your name and account. I would seriously look into that and in doubt phone or email Amazon.

Good luck.
I had a similar weird thing happen. My parents bought me a Kindle for Christmas, and when it arrived, my mother took it out and charged it. She never registered it or entered any info, yet when I got it it had her name and account linked to it. Maybe Amazon does this when you buy it through your Amazon account? It was a simple matter to de-register and re-register, but it was still odd.
Jedi Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Beavis View Post
I had a similar weird thing happen. My parents bought me a Kindle for Christmas, and when it arrived, my mother took it out and charged it. She never registered it or entered any info, yet when I got it it had her name and account linked to it. Maybe Amazon does this when you buy it through your Amazon account? It was a simple matter to de-register and re-register, but it was still odd.
If you buy a Kindle at Amazon; it gets registred to the name on your creditcard; before it is shipped. You can buy it ' as a gift' though.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Using your Computer -
1. Go to Amazon.com
2. Click On "Your Account" (right side top of the page)
3. In the Digital Content Section Click On Manage Your Kindle
See if the Kindle is Registered to Your Account. If so, You Can Change the Name of it there.

---this section ONLY if your Kindle is registered to somebody else's Amazon Account!!! If it is registered to your Account - skip this.

(note you are going to have to get a WiFi connection here if you only have the WiFi Kindle. If you don't have one at home you'll need to head to a McDonald's or Starbucks or somewhere with Free WiFi). Or you can find out who Peter is and get him to DeRegister the Kindle from his Amazon Account.

4. If Not. Using the KINDLE (not plugged into the computer). Turn it On
5. Push Home Button
6. Push Menu Button
7. Choose Settings
8. On the Registration Section - Choose DeRegister
9. Then Choose Register and put in Your Account/Password for Amazon.com

10. Then go back to Computer and Refresh Kindle Account Info. Kindle should appear then.
------
I'll do shopping for books via webpage in a bit if nobody helps you out in the meantime. You will probably find it easier to shop for books via your computer and then transfer (sideload) over to the Kindle.

How does your Dell Computer connect to the internet?

Eject = unplug from the computer

And Welcome to MobileRead.com
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard

What that message means is that, when you first connect your Kindle to your computer, your computer treats it as a removable device, like a thumb drive or a flash drive. While it is treating your Kindle this way, you can use the computer to move files onto and off of the Kindle, which we refer to as "sideloading."

So to purchase books, just set the Kindle down at that point, purchase the books you want from Amazon (or elsewhere--the Kindle can read any .mobi file that doesn't have DRM so you can purchase books in this format from Baen or Smashwords or download free out-of-copyright books in this format from manybooks.net or Mobileread) and download them to your computer.

Then open the Kindle on the computer as though it were a flash drive or a removable hard drive. Find the "documents" folder on the Kindle. Drag your files over and drop them in the documents folder. When the computer is done copying them over, then eject your Kindle from the computer (right-clicking the Kindle's icon and picking "eject" from the context menu.)

"Ejecting" the Kindle in this way tells the computer to stop treating it like a removable drive and just ignore it. That means it won't alter the data on the Kindle (add any files or remove any files) until you physically unplug the Kindle and plug it back in again. This is a good thing because if you physically unplug the Kindle while the computer is altering a file on it, that file becomes "corrupted"--in other words it's broken--and corrupted files sometimes cause trouble with the Kindle.

In the meantime, the computer is ignoring the Kindle, but the Kindle can still get power via the USB connection, so you can charge it from your computer if that is more convenient than charging it from the wall plug. Plus while your computer is ignoring the Kindle, the Kindle is ignoring the computer, so you can use the Kindle to read.

I don't think you will be able to use the Kindle itself to shop unless there is a wifi router the Kindle can connect to.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Two important questions:

1. Do you have internet access to your home computer? I am not asking about wifi, just internet.

2. Is your Kindle a 3G model or wifi only model?
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote