Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #31
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Device: PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Laugh it up, fuzz ball.
deadgloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #32
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadgloves View Post
doh. I meant Maupassant. I get my dead frenchmen mixed up in the middle of the night. My bad.
Oh yes, Maupassant is a master!
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Laugh it up, fuzz ball.
wait'll you see the faux-paux I make.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #34
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
doh. I meant Maupassant. I get my dead frenchmen mixed up in the middle of the night. My bad.
Well, thanks to you I just downloaded all of his short stories I could find. I have read a few of them, but not that many. His novels are not as good, from what I have seen.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #35
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
SciFi/Fantasy - all available from Fictionwise:

Robert Silverberg
-Homefaring
-Sailing to Byzantium
-Schwartz Between the Galaxies
-The Secret Sharer

Kristine Kathryn Rusch
-Echea
-Scars

Mike Resnick
-Hothouse Flowers

George Zebrowski
-In the Distance, and Ahead in Time
-This Life and Later Ones
-Transfigured Night

Kate Wilhelm
-The Look Alike

George R.R. Martin
-The Pear-Shaped Man

Horror originally discovered at Horrormasters.com, but some available for free at Amazon and probably here at MR:

Fitz-James O'Brien
-The Diamond Lens
-Seeing The World
-The Wondersmith

Oliver Onions
-The Beckoning Fair One

William Hope Hodgson
-The Derelict
-The Voice in the Night

Charlotte Perkins Gilman
-The Yellow Wallpaper

Clemence Housman
-The Were-Wolf

Hans Heinz Ewers
-The Spider

Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu
-Green Tea

M.R. James
-The Mezzotint

P. H. Villiers de L’isle Adam
-Torture By Hope

Harriet Prescott Spofford
-Circumstance
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #36
deadgloves
Enthusiast
deadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with othersdeadgloves plays well with others

Quote:
wait'll you see the faux-paux I make.
I'm as a jungle cat, ready to pounce... and point and laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Well, thanks to you I just downloaded all of his short stories I could find. I have read a few of them, but not that many. His novels are not as good, from what I have seen.
Growing up I would read his works from a copy we inherited from a great aunt. Bound in soft, sued-like leather, bible thin pages edged in gold leaf... gorgeous, but not a copy you can take on the plane or in the bathtub.

I think I'll follow your example and also go on a downloading spree.

Last edited by deadgloves; 10-24-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #37
deadgloves
Enthusiast

This is going to sound totally random, overly long, and a bit off topic but downloading Maupassant reminded me of something. Consider this a recommend short story if you must.

In High School we were assigned Maupassant's 'The Necklace' to teach to the class. Our group consisted of myself, two friends, and unfortunate guy that got stuck with us by the teacher- This guy, I shall now call 'Tom.'

My one friend, said we should recreate the story using her Barbies. I actually thought that was a horrible idea. Heck, admitting you still had Barbies in HS was sounded like a horrible idea, but my two friends were set on it and Tom was apathetic about the whole assignment. So Barbies it was. We worked out that instead of diamonds for a beaded necklace she would trade in Barbie's pink convertible for a Barbie scooter. I promised I'd write up a script in time for class tomorrow.

This, of course, meant I wrote it all in study-hall right before class, giving us no time to practice or review what I wrote.

So there we stood in front of a class of our peers; three losers and one reluctant guy playing with Barbies. My script was silly and over the top. I'd removed all Maupassant's subtle story telling and masterful command of human motivation and replaced it with a freight train of telegraphed dialogue designed to get the idea across as quickly and as obviously as possible. Titters could be heard from the students as Barbie tottered across the stage through flashbacks of her youth, getting bamboozled by the slimy used car salesman, and eventually 'vrooming' away in her new/used scooter.

Then the moment came when she confronts Ken, her husband, with her ridiculous purchase, exclaiming something like, "Honey, you know that new Mercedes you just bought me? I got an amazing deal! I swapped it for a scooter like I had in college. The salesman only charged me $15,000 for it with the trade in, isn't that great!"

There in my script Ken's reaction read,

Ken: "What! I... need to sit down."

I realized at that moment, that this was a very poor choice of words for a character lacking knees. I actually panicked a bit, but Tom just read his lines with a shocked voice. Then with a surprising show of initiative, Tom, forced Ken bodily into a sitting position. Feet out, arms akimbo, Ken plopped down before his wife in a complete failure of grace and emotional expression. Our audience exploded with laugher.

Muffled giggles continued even after the play was finished and as the teacher tried to ask us about the themes of the story.
It was epic example of 4 slackers slacking. One reviewer declared it, 'The best thing I've ever seen!'

The End. I'm sure Maupassant would have been proud.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #38
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
One that always stuck with me was...oh, the links are to Google Books readable scans of a good portion of each book, except, of course for Stephen King because he needs his money after all.

The Raft (aka. "The Float", apparently anyway) by Stephen King

Also from my younger years was actually a collection of short stories by Issac Asimov. They are all sort of "locked room" mysteries. As I recall the collection was "The Black Widowers Society".

A couple other short story anthologies are The Callahan Chronicals by Spider Robinson as well as The Sam Gunn Omnibus by Ben Bova. I found both collections by accident and could put neither down until I was done. Ironically the forward to The Callahan Chronicles was written by Ben Bova, the author of the second set. Something I just now noticed...weird!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #39
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Sometimes Google Books has an extensive preview of books with pages removed at random. If it's a collection of short stories you can read several individual stories.
The Treasury of Avram Davidson is like that:
http://books.google.com/books?id=rnb...page&q&f=false

Before you start reading, scroll down and make sure the entire story is there. There's a notice whenever pages are missing.

Also, I mentioned this in the what are you reading thread, but Connie Willis' novelette, Fire Watch, is available at the Infinity Plus website:
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/firewatch.htm
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #40
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sort of on topic.

I just ran across this website that has links to a ton of classic short stories:

http://www.world-english.org/stories.htm
Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #41
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Joyce Carol Oates has a new collection of short stories out. Sugerland:Stories. I have not read them yet but she is one of my favorite authors.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #42
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Joyce Carol Oates has a new collection of short stories out. Sugerland:Stories. I have not read them yet but she is one of my favorite authors.
Sour?land I think? Link: http://www.amazon.com/Sourland-Stori...tt_at_ep_dpi_1
Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #43
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
All You Zombies - Robert A. Heinlein
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #44
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Sweet - Sour, What's the diff?

You are correct, it is indeed Sourland
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #45
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Sweet - Sour, What's the diff?

You are correct, it is indeed Sourland
I love sweet&sour!