Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-06-2024, 09:32 PM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Looking for an Android ePub reader with customizable autoscroll

I recently had a discussion with one of my ex-coworkers. What they want is be able to use autoscroll but to have it automagically stop at the end of a chapter. They are mostly reading Gutenberg epubs where Gutenberg stuffed multiple chapters (say, the last part of chapter 5, chapters 6, 7, 8 & the first part of chapter 9) into a single file. Considering the 2 sample files I saw, Gutenberg did not use headers but did have a consistent pattern between chapters within an ePub but that pattern was different between the two ePubs. I suggested that hitting the space bar between pages in paged mode would be a lot easier than trying to get Gutenberg to change their workflow and convincing someone to support the desired autoscroll modification.

The program they are currently using with autoscroll runs on Android and does not stop at the end of a file (starts at the title page and scrolls to the end unless you tap to pause) and the developer has no interest in adding that functionality nor in improving the bare minimum CSS support currently present.

I was asked if any programs I knew of could do what they wanted and had to answer no. So I'm bouncing it out to find out if anyone has any suggestions.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:40 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I recently had a discussion with one of my ex-coworkers. What they want is be able to use autoscroll but to have it automagically stop at the end of a chapter. They are mostly reading Gutenberg epubs where Gutenberg stuffed multiple chapters (say, the last part of chapter 5, chapters 6, 7, 8 & the first part of chapter 9) into a single file. Considering the 2 sample files I saw, Gutenberg did not use headers but did have a consistent pattern between chapters within an ePub but that pattern was different between the two ePubs. I suggested that hitting the space bar between pages in paged mode would be a lot easier than trying to get Gutenberg to change their workflow and convincing someone to support the desired autoscroll modification.

The program they are currently using with autoscroll runs on Android and does not stop at the end of a file (starts at the title page and scrolls to the end unless you tap to pause) and the developer has no interest in adding that functionality nor in improving the bare minimum CSS support currently present.

I was asked if any programs I knew of could do what they wanted and had to answer no. So I'm bouncing it out to find out if anyone has any suggestions.
Moon+ Reader has autoscroll and the scrolling can be set by pixel, line, page. You also can adjust the scrolling speed. At the end of the chapter the app waits about 4 seconds before starting with the new chapter, so you have that to stop the scrolling by taping the screen.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Moon+ Reader has autoscroll and the scrolling can be set by pixel, line, page. You also can adjust the scrolling speed. At the end of the chapter the app waits about 4 seconds before starting with the new chapter, so you have that to stop the scrolling by taping the screen.
Unfortunately, the ex-coworker has tried Moon+ and it seems to stop at the end of the file internal to the ePub not a chapter/heading within the file. I am not going to suggest the obvious solution of editing the ePub to make it a chapter per file layout as that would be letting me in for the pain in attempting to teach ePub editing to a non-techie.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 03:24 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've seen chapter headings/titles coded with h, p, div or span
They look like chapter headings. However I struggle to see how other than file per chapter that any ereading app can scroll and stop at the end of each chapter.

Then there are books like Dune with a Preamble in the middle of the page which is really an unnamed chapter and entire books with no obvious chapter breaks. Perhaps just scene breaks.

Good Luck.

I tried Moon+ because folk here mention it. Can't see the point of it compared to KOReader which can be installed on most Android direct from Git.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote