Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Recent lurker says hello!

Been lurking on here for a few weeks after looking into either purchasing an ereader or being suffocated by the piles of paperbacks I have at home.

Got choices down to a Sony 505 or a Kindle 2 (I think), and use Calibre currently on my HTC Leo phone but the screen is too small to make a useful ereader.

About myself, am into sci-fi (hence username) Star Trek (TOS, TNG, V), Star Wars (IV-VI), Hellboy and Fifth Element probably my favourites. ALso a massive football fan and am a season ticket holder at my beloved West Ham United.

Would love to hear from folk with any hints on which reader to go for or just say hi!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!

You should check out the "which one should I buy" subforum.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

great comparisons done there.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi captkjaneway and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello captkjaneway and welcome to MobileRead!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

There is also a matrix of all the devices in our Wiki that might help you choose .... https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix. Scroll on down below the adverts !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya, CaptJaneaway. Good to have your company. You've narrowed your choice nicely. Now track down a 505. Gosh ... I've just opened the door to a heap of hatemail from our Kindlers. Being outside the US, though, the Kindle ain't as attractive for several reasons (including A $2.00 cover price loading on any title you download -- even on supposedly free books). With the excellent Calibre library software as a partner, the 505 does all you will want it to do. Using Sony hardware, doesn't mean that you need ever use wonky Sony library software or be hit by Sony Store geographical restrictions on some books. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all - the choice is a difficult one a new Kindle 2 for £125 or a secondhand Sony 505 for about £120......plus the obviously hints about the Kindle 3 about to hit too......
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Welcome to MobileRead captkjaneway! I've had my Sony 700 for over a year and a half and still love it, so I'm a little biased towards Sony! I love sci-fi too as many others here do as well! (I didn't see Doctor Who on your list...?) We're still watching TNG reruns on PBS. I wish they would start showing DS9 and Voyager!

Welcome and keep us posted as to what device you decide to go with!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!

Thanks. Not a Dr Who fan I'm afraid, never really got into it as a kid but Star Trek is still my true love. Leaning toward the Kindle 2 currently, only just though as I can only get the 505 secondhand.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You'll occasionally find unused 505s in the Flea Market forum here, Capt. But you have to keep a sharp eye because they tend to go very quickly. Good luck Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
mitch13
Groupie
mitch13 began at the beginning.

Device: Appraising the market
Hi captainjaneway,
I must be one of the original Star Trek fans from way back. Still have the first series on VCR tapes!
I am based in Australia and took quite some time to decide about an ebook reader. I have a lot of Sony gear and they were my first thought. However on reading reviews and hearing about their library I was slightly put off and then Amazon released Kindle to the World. I bought one about 4 months ago now and it is one of the best purchases I have made. One of the greatest things about the Kindle (I have a Kindle2) is the ability to read outside (dull cloud to bright sunshine makes no difference). If you have ever tried a laptop with LCD screen outside in whatever light you have screen glare.
Although Amazon US is the major source of books there are a multitude of other sources world wide and an incredible amount of free books.
You also only have to go into a Kindle discussion group via Amazon website and you will find that their customer service is far above any other supplier. If you wanted to try a Kindle Amazon have a 30-day return policy so that it can be tried out.
If you are purely looking for an ebook reader I believe there is nothing that meets all the feature of the Kindle. As for new models, that may be but (as with computers) there is always a new model around the corner. I believe for straight comfortable reading there is not a lot that can be changed in the Kindle. If your are in a country that is covered by Amazon (can tell from their website) then their wireless book downloading is fabulous (usually within 60 seconds and does not need a Wi-Fi hotspot - it works on a cellular network free of charge (although currently overseas customers are paying $2 per book extra) This may change. Free books have no extra charges. You have access to Wikipedia and a great dictionary on the Kindle. You can also browse the internet but not ideal - useful to check on odd things!

Obviously I recommend the Kindle and no, I do not get a commission from Amazon!!

mitch13
mitch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!

Mitch

I too have TOS on video

Thanks for the run down on your experiences - I am aiming towards a Kindle 2 to be honest and will buy most of my books from Amazon and strip/reformat any non-Amazon books to their format using Calibre ~(if this is possible)

Currently out of stock but will probably treat myself in the next 6 weeks or so.