Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #211
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I don't know if that had been said before, but I think this acquisition will be a great thing for the not-yet-Goodreads-user-but-Kindle-owner type. I believe they will be able to have better choice, more recommendations directly from their (WIFI enabled) Kindle.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #212
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I don't know if that had been said before, but I think this acquisition will be a great thing for the not-yet-Goodreads-user-but-Kindle-owner type. I believe they will be able to have better choice, more recommendations directly from their (WIFI enabled) Kindle.
Thats a good thought. Probably won't help the rest of us non-Kindle owners but we shall see. It may end up being useful to have a kindle app on one's non-Kindle device, just to keep an eye on whats happening. I never went mobile with goodreads, because I didn't like the apps, they seemed restricted more than the website was, but I did like keeping tabs on my few acquaintances on there (my second cousin, 30 years younger than I, seems to have similar tastes in books so I have got quite a few recommendations from him, when he isnt being a computer nerd).

I dropped my goodreads account but may reinstate it, in time (or rather, get a new one). Interestingly I seem to still have shelfari but have found that useless.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #213
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Thats a good thought. Probably won't help the rest of us non-Kindle owners but we shall see. It may end up being useful to have a kindle app on one's non-Kindle device, just to keep an eye on whats happening. I never went mobile with goodreads, because I didn't like the apps, they seemed restricted more than the website was, but I did like keeping tabs on my few acquaintances on there (my second cousin, 30 years younger than I, seems to have similar tastes in books so I have got quite a few recommendations from him, when he isnt being a computer nerd).

I dropped my goodreads account but may reinstate it, in time (or rather, get a new one). Interestingly I seem to still have shelfari but have found that useless.

Shelfari isn't bad IF you can find a good group there. And that's hard because most of them are quiet. I'm on a good sci/fi fantasy one that I enjoy. Small but some book discussions and active enough without being overactive. The cozy ones I'm on ... I just haven't hit it off there. It could be because I am not reading enough cozies right now to really participate or find like-readers. Or it could be I'm on too many groups and that one just hasn't been enough of a draw.

Here's the shelfari group I do enjoy:

http://www.shelfari.com/groups/53520/about

Feel free to check it out and ignore us at will. I get some good recs there and it's well-moderated.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #214
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Shelfari isn't bad IF you can find a good group there. And that's hard because most of them are quiet. I'm on a good sci/fi fantasy one that I enjoy. Small but some book discussions and active enough without being overactive. The cozy ones I'm on ... I just haven't hit it off there. It could be because I am not reading enough cozies right now to really participate or find like-readers. Or it could be I'm on too many groups and that one just hasn't been enough of a draw.

Here's the shelfari group I do enjoy:

http://www.shelfari.com/groups/53520/about

Feel free to check it out and ignore us at will. I get some good recs there and it's well-moderated.
I've barely scratched the surface of Shelfari. Looked at your Scifi group, it does look good. I'll log in and look more closely when I am back on the computer. Thanks for the headsup.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #215
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Goodreads appears to be down, at least for me, and has been for several hours. I've tried the website and the Android client and am unable to get there. Hopefully it's unrelated...

Edit: Apparently it's just my ISP. I flipped my phone over to mobile data and got through just fine. Odd. Panic mode off...

Last edited by hwlester; 04-12-2013 at 09:50 PM.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #216
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Goodreads appears to be down, at least for me, and has been for several hours. I've tried the website and the Android client and am unable to get there. Hopefully it's unrelated...
Yes, I noticed it was down earlier. Not a good time for them to be going down with all that is going on still.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #217
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:

Edit: Apparently it's just my ISP. I flipped my phone over to mobile data and got through just fine. Odd. Panic mode off...
No, there's a tweet out that it's down for several users. I'm one and I'm in texas, fwiw.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #218
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Yes, I noticed it was down earlier. Not a good time for them to be going down with all that is going on still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
No, there's a tweet out that it's down for several users. I'm one and I'm in texas, fwiw.
It's definitely a widespread issue:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.c....goodreads.com shows it down.

I'm in Birmingham, AL and it's down via AT&T U-Verse, but up via AT&T's mobile network, so it must be a backbone issue although I've not encountered other sites down yet.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #219
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Goodreads is fine here, from the second most isolated capital city in the world! Go figure.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #220
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It's working for me too.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #221
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Goodreads is down hard here in Oregon (DNS failure).
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #222
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Goodreads is down hard here in Oregon (DNS failure).
Haven't actually done any troubleshooting on that level. I'm wondering if someone let the domain name expire. I've worked at two companies where that happened, and DNS propagation varies among ISPs, so that might be what we're seeing. Oops.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #223
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Haven't actually done any troubleshooting on that level. I'm wondering if someone let the domain name expire. I've worked at two companies where that happened, and DNS propagation varies among ISPs, so that might be what we're seeing. Oops.
The goodreads.com domain doesn't expire until 09 Dec 2022 (if not renewed before then).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #224
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The goodreads.com domain doesn't expire until 09 Dec 2022 (if not renewed before then).
Just a thought. Seems to be working from my U-Verse now as well.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #225
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
It's back to normal for me. Any ideas what were the issue(s)?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote