Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
wony
wony began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
how can I change kobo web browser font?

I'm using kobo glo in korea. because kobo doesn't support korean, I installed korean fonts to folder. It works fine. when I use extra web browser to read news in korean, text doesn't appear. how can I install korean fonts in web browser? kobo doesn't officially support for extra apps. so may many people who is speaking other languages be needed for your help such as me. sorry for my deficient english and thx for your help.

Last edited by wony; 02-21-2013 at 05:48 PM.
wony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to get the web browser to use
custom fonts.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wony View Post
I'm using kobo glo in korea. because kobo doesn't support korean, I installed korean fonts to folder. It works fine. when I use extra web browser to read news in korean, text doesn't appear.
Is your Korean font a unicode font? Generally, the browser picks up an appropriate font automatically if it is available on the device. I can read on my Kobo Touch with the web browser in Japanese, Arabic/Persian/Urdu, Hindi/Sanskrit, Tibetan. Therefore, Korean text should also work, provided there is a Korean unicode font installed, and the web page is encoded in unicode.

Last edited by tshering; 02-23-2013 at 12:14 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
OPTION 1. Before you launch your browser, you should open a book and change the font once.

OPTION 2. if OPTION1 doesn't work, you can delete the gothic mb101.otf & ruymin.otf (they are japanese fonts) via the attached KoboRoot.tgz.( just extract the attachment and put the KoboRoot.tgz in the .kobo directory), than try OPTION1 again.
caution:After this operation, you can't read japanese books, but you can just put a japanese font in fonts directory to fix it.
extractMe.zip

Finally I want to say the kobo's browser is some stupid and not worth to use.

Last edited by xuyn2003; 02-25-2013 at 07:12 AM.
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
wony

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuyn2003 View Post
OPTION 1. Before you launch your browser, you should open a book and change the font once.

OPTION 2. if OPTION1 doesn't work, you can delete the gothic mb101.otf & ruymin.otf (they are japanese fonts) via the attached KoboRoot.tgz.( just extract the attachment and put the KoboRoot.tgz in the .kobo directory), than try OPTION1 again.
caution:After this operation, you can't read japanese books, but you can just put a japanese font in fonts directory to fix it.
Attachment 101948

OPTION1 doesn't work. and OPTION2 I can not find KoboRoot.tgz
could you link it again? -_-;;
I just wanna use it for dropbox and korean news.
sometimes it freeze but it's ok for me to use.
thx for your help~
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wony View Post
OPTION2 I can not find KoboRoot.tgz
could you link it again? -_-;
Download xuyn2003's attachment (extractMe.zip) and extract it. Inside you will find KoboRoot.tgz.

It is really strange. I cannot see Korean script on web sites, but I can see it (hangul script) as part of the url in the location bar.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
wony

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuyn2003 View Post

Attachment 101948

OPTION 2 doesn't work.

T.T any other suggestions?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
If it's mainly the news you want to read, you could use Calibre to collect Korean news. Calibre will then have the news in an epub for you. I've attached a screen shot of the three Korean newspapers (?) Calibre can collect from. You can set how often it collects the news, and you can also say what Calibre should do with the epub (send to an email address for instance (handy in combination with this), or copy to device when connected).

You can also set up a custom news source.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	korean.png
Views:	554
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	102035  
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote