Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Millbrook
Reader
Millbrook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Newspapers piling up in my Archived Items

Hi all -- I've been lurking for awhile, but this is my first post.

I'd like to ask for the forum's help with an annoying problem. I've had my K3 3G for about 6 weeks now (love it). I've been subscribing to one newspaper (the Christian Science Monitor) for the whole 6 weeks.

The problem is that the newspapers never vanish from my Kindle. Each morning, I get the new issue and the old one is moved automatically to "Periodicals: Back Issues". My understanding is that, after 7 days, the old papers should vanish. But instead, on the 8th day, they are moved to my Archived Items, where they stay forever. I now have quite a large pile of old newspapers cluttering up my Archive.

I tried doing a full reset, but my Kindle just downloaded all the archived papers again afterward. Tried removing them from "Manage my Kindle" on Amazon's web site -- no luck, unless I unsubscribe. I called Kindle Support and they seemed mystified.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any helpful suggestions would be most welcome.
Millbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
lost66615
Enthusiast
lost66615 doesn't litterlost66615 doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx
hello goto amazon on web and manage kindle go to subscriptions and just delete them or to have a back up download them to you pc
hope this helps
lost66615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
wscott
wscott is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
The archive should contain the last 7 issues of each periodical. And I find the kindle has plenty of memory so it really wouldn't matter how many it saved.
wscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Millbrook
Reader
Millbrook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
To clarify, I'm trying to get rid of the old newspapers.

I don't want my Archive so cluttered up -- I now have over 30 issues of the Monitor in my Archived Items (and one more every day).

Is this a problem with all newspaper subscriptions, or only the Monitor? (or maybe only my account?)
Millbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Gary King
Gary King began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4
I know that this is an old post, but did you ever manage to fix this problem? I've scoured the web and this seems to be the only thread that discusses this issue. I'm subscribed to Reuters, which is a newspaper delivered daily, and I've so far got seven issues in my "Back issues" folder as expected, but then every issue before that, all the way to when I first subscribed to the newspaper (which is only two weeks ago, so it isn't many issues yet) appears in "Archived Items". I'm worried, as you are, that in a while it will be quite full.

Is your Archived Items folder filled with 700 copies of the Monitor, or did you ever manage to resolve this issue?
Gary King is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
d5e5
d5e5 doesn't litterd5e5 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I don't subscribe to newspapers but had a similar problem with a lot of Instapaper items in my Personal Documents on Amazon. If your archived newspapers appear in your Personal Documents section you may find the javascript bookmark posted here by thomass useful. It worked for me.
d5e5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Gary King

The problem for me is that since newspaper issues don't appear in Personal Documents, I can't manually delete them even if I wanted to.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary King View Post
The problem for me is that since newspaper issues don't appear in Personal Documents, I can't manually delete them even if I wanted to.
you can edit the bookmarklet ( ie: replace "PersonalDocuments" with "amazon" )

but be careful after that, you may delete your purchased books by mistake as well.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
The "Archived Items" is unlimited. When you see it in your device, know that It's a virtual folder only with names. The whole content you see is stored, unlimitedly and freely, in your Amazon account Cloud.

The Archived Items "folder" does not occupy any space and does not collapse with hundreds or thousands of items there. It's Amazon's courtesy for never losing what you have purchased from Kindle Store (and, recently, some space of personal documents too).
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Gary King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
The "Archived Items" is unlimited. When you see it in your device, know that It's a virtual folder only with names. The whole content you see is stored, unlimitedly and freely, in your Amazon account Cloud.

The Archived Items "folder" does not occupy any space and does not collapse with hundreds or thousands of items there. It's Amazon's courtesy for never losing what you have purchased from Kindle Store (and, recently, some space of personal documents too).
Yep, I realize that, but I have little to no use for old Reuters newspapers and they are just cluttering up the list, making it difficult to browse for legit things that I have purchased.