Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #196
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I don't have a k3, I have a k2, how does this affect the functionality for me because the annotations no longer work with 0.745. And other than adding the upgraded Kindle Collections plugin and adding a couple of recipes I have not changed anything.
Hi
I know you're using K2. All my mumbling was just to inform you of my plans.
However, I can't find 1 single *.asnx file in my Calibre libs, or on my K3.
Only thing I haven't done yet is adding/importing a new book.
A bit confused here....bummer, for the first time EVER Calibre just crashed on me.
What action caused a asnx file to be created on your K2/Calibre ?
Trying to understand this issue
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #197
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Converting a book to mobi, or a mobi to mobi conversion with 0.7.45 or newer.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 04:14 AM   #198
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Converting a book to mobi, or a mobi to mobi conversion with 0.7.45 or newer.
Hi dwanthny
That's what I thought. However, in my case, weird viking, NO asnx files were created ON my K3 until I upgraded fw, SO I don't understand why K2 users get a asnx file. Never mind. Still need to test, but there might be a problem here.
Edit: On K3 there are no issues re mpb files whar so ever.
UNLESS you delete mbp files on your KX

Last edited by pchrist7; 02-13-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Testing
Old 02-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #199
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Hi
I know you're using K2. All my mumbling was just to inform you of my plans.
However, I can't find 1 single *.asnx file in my Calibre libs, or on my K3.
Only thing I haven't done yet is adding/importing a new book.
A bit confused here....bummer, for the first time EVER Calibre just crashed on me.
Trying to understand this issue
When Calibre sends the book to the k2 it adds a asnx file also, even though the file also has a mbp file on the kindle.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #200
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi dwanthny
That's what I thought. However, in my case, weird viking, NO asnx files were created ON my K3 until I upgraded fw, SO I don't understand why K2 users get a asnx file. Never mind. Still need to test, but there might be a problem here.
Edit: On K3 there are no issues re mpb files whar so ever.
UNLESS you delete mbp files on your KX
On a side note, I do not know what caused the mbp to disappear from the k2, so I uploaded the missing ones from a backup on my harddrive, so maybe that is why they were not updating in Calibre as they should have. I ended up having to open all those books again, remark them with their bookmarks/notes and proceed to the end of the book for the template to consider them as 'read'. I am thinking maybe the backups were marked as archived so the k2 couldn't update them, I don't know I am at a loss. Now off to make an Excel spreadsheet of where all my bookmarks/notes are in the books so the next time I have to do this it will be much easier...

Pchrist - I will be interested in your answer for the asnx because I do not want them sent to my k2 since I do not have this page feature, if you do not find an answer I'll post a question if it's possible to stop this behavior with kovid and his team.

EDIT: I found an answer to the apnx (not apsx) issue, it is sent with the books from Calibre, this is a feature that will allow the user to disable in the next release, which will be a good thing for us non-k3 users.

Last edited by nynaevelan; 02-13-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Advert
Old 02-15-2011, 03:14 AM   #201
pchrist7
Addict

Hi there
Got a bit sidetracked.
As you note, the apnx issue should be solved for you shortly.

I have however discovered that I actually have some mbp issues myself.
mbp files are on the K3, shows book fully read, but there's no way I can get Calibre to fetch it and add to comments/library. Did have to replace my K3 in december, but other books read on first K3 show fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #202
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Hi there
Got a bit sidetracked.
As you note, the apnx issue should be solved for you shortly.

I have however discovered that I actually have some mbp issues myself.
mbp files are on the K3, shows book fully read, but there's no way I can get Calibre to fetch it and add to comments/library. Did have to replace my K3 in december, but other books read on first K3 show fine.
I've run into that problem myself, for some books it takes me three or four tries before it will work. Sometimes I have to go back into the kindle, open the book and then rerun the fetch annotations. I do not know why this is but luckily it is not alot of books that this happens to.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #203
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I've run into that problem myself, for some books it takes me three or four tries before it will work. Sometimes I have to go back into the kindle, open the book and then rerun the fetch annotations. I do not know why this is but luckily it is not alot of books that this happens to.
This is a known issue with K3, see this ticket.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 AM   #204
pchrist7
Addict

Wink Easy customer - but thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

G
Luckily I'm only interested in "read status".
I must have messed up somewhere late last year.
Could maybe even have reconverted books already on my K3 without sending the new onces to K3. I simply don't know, yet.
( Why, OH why did I ever delete my unix VMs on my Vista )
Old 02-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #205
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post

G

Thanks for the info, should I add a note to the ticket that this also affects k2 Kindles?? One thing though, the ticket says it only affects highlights, I have had this happen to books that only have bookmarks or no bookmarks or highlights. And all of my books are mobi files which I have created with Calibre.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #206
pchrist7
Addict

Question In trouble ?

Gave it a try to figure out why getting "read status" via annotations no longer worked for some books.
During testing, disabling new firewall, etc etc, book I loaded from Calibre to K3 Sunday were no longer listed as being on the Device. Listing books on my K3 in Calibre, the books were there, but no longer listed as being in the Library.
I have no idea what's going on here. Rebooted pc, K3 over & over.
Ran check on both libraries with no errors found.
Also I have no idea what the best way to fix this would be.
600+ books on the K3, would rather not lose annotations, but will give it a try and send a backup to the K3 tomorrow ?
Bummer ! Being working so good until now.
Edit: Waiting until tomorrow. Won't make it worse than it already is.
Edit 2: Chose to send "problem" books from Calibre to K3 instead. Seemed safest to me.
I just forgot about indexing on the K3, so will have to split the task in several steps.
Still don't know what caused the issue, though.

Last edited by pchrist7; 02-17-2011 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Changed my mind
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #207
pchrist7
Addict

Talking bad week ended well

Quote:
Hi nynaevelan
As mentioned above I had a very bad week. Calibre and my K3 got totally out of sync. Calibre lost track of books on K3, what was in library etc.
Think my metadata.calibre file on K3 got corrupted after a Calibre crash, the only one I ever had. But the problem could have started a lot earlier.
Any ways, after a lot of testing resending books etc, I decided to do a factory reset ( loose all ) after lots of backups.
Sent all books from calibre to K3, used the Calibre Collection plugin ( Thanks to meme ) and this morning copied my backed up mbp files to the correct directories. This works fine, except for a few books whose filename was changed with different series numbering. Rename the mbp didn't work, but it try to change on with an HEX editor just to see if that could do it.
This post just to follow up on your discussion of missing mbp read status updates.
Have a nice weekend,

Edit: FYI: modifying the mbp file didn't work for me.

Last edited by pchrist7; 02-19-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #208
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
kindle management of multiple authors

calibre manages multiple authors by separating with "&". kindle manages multiple authors by separating with ";". So when I send calibre files with multiple authors to my kindle, the authors don't sort correctly.

Is there a composite column recipe that would enable me to replace "&" with ";" and then use that column as my author_sort for the kindle? By creating a separate column just for kindle, I would then leave the default author & author sort columns unaltered.

Or is the "&" in the multiple authors just not replaceable due to the inner workings of calibre?

If someone already knows of a fix or can refer me to a better forum for advice, please direct me there. Thanks for any help!
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #209
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
Is there a composite column recipe that would enable me to replace "&" with ";" and then use that column as my author_sort for the kindle? By creating a separate column just for kindle, I would then leave the default author & author sort columns unaltered.
Read through this thread. There is a discussion about this and a work around using author_sort. Includes method for mass change to Author_sort.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 AM   #210
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Read through this thread. There is a discussion about this and a work around using author_sort. Includes method for mass change to Author_sort.
thanks!
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, tag, tags