Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 10:33 PM   #211
aspurrell
aspurrell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For me e-ink is a superior way to read because I can't handle reading pages and pages of text on my tablet. I use my Nexus 7 exclusively for Web surfing and videos but in have tried using it to read novels and have failed I just can't get used to it. My e-ink Kindle is the only way to go. Even with a reading light attached I have no problems reading on it for extended periods of time.

So I think a tablet and an e-reader can coexist.
aspurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #212
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki2 View Post
dedicated ereaders were a simple marketing ploy and were great at the time; there was no other real option.
Really? I think you've completely missed the value of e-ink. It's highly unlikely that the dedicated e-reader will disappear until vendors can make a color screen as readable as e-ink. When it's as easy to read a book on your tablet on the beach as it is to read an e-ink reader, then the dedicated reader may die.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #213
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Really? I think you've completely missed the value of e-ink.
Shrug. For me, the value of eInk was that it would let me read for an entire transatlantic flight, which my PDA wouldn't. Now tablets can do that.
People have different reasons for choosing devices, which might not be the same as yours.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #214
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Shrug. For me, the value of eInk was that it would let me read for an entire transatlantic flight, which my PDA wouldn't. Now tablets can do that.
People have different reasons for choosing devices, which might not be the same as yours.
Well, yes, but e-ink readers aren't a "simple marketing ploy" either. I have a tablet and an e-reader. I prefer reading on e-ink, and I'm not alone. Neither the tablet nor the dedicated e-reader is an obvious choice.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #215
william z
Connoisseur
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well, I am on my second ereader and recently got a tablet. I read on them both. I don't really see where a tablet would replace an ereader for a serious reader, but lots of people don't read anything much beyond a few news items and the TV Guide anyway.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #216
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook 622, iPad 3 and Galaxy Note 2
I think their will be a market for both e-readers and tablets. I have them for different things, I also have a macbook air and what I do with that it's not the same things I do with my ipad. Some people say:
"Do you really need to have an ipad when you have a samsung galaxy note 2?"
And yes I do. To read shorter documents for work, take notes, watch TV-shows it is great.
Off course I can do this on my macbook air and my Note 2, but they are not suited for it.
The Note 2 is a great calender, phone and sending texts.
My Macbook air is great for work outside the office, also to watch tv-shows but it has no 3G connection so that is why I use my ipad instead, in my office I have an imac 27".
And when it comes to reading longer rapports and books I prefer to read them on my Pocketbook 622 because it is easier for my eyes and I read a lot faster on it.

The only problem is that you need a really large suitcase.
ragnevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #217
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook 622, iPad 3 and Galaxy Note 2
Then I hate the comparision between reading, playing games or watching film or television shows.
There are really bad books, written just for entertainment and there are movies that has changed my life forever.

For example, I don't like Jean Genets Querelle, but i loved Fassbinders filmed version of it. I hate the Sooky Stackhouse books, but the television show True Blood could be something of the best ever made for TV. Skyrim was a bigger culture experience for me than any other theaterplay I saw last year.
ragnevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #218
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
TV can be a two way street it can do a lot of low brow things and a lot of high brow things, it simply depends on how you chose to use it as a tool. I can understand, however about ragnevi's distaste at watching the tube.

Personally I prefer to do my tube on the internet for the simple reason that most programs will simulcast their content on the internet and I can watch the programs on my schedule not the other way around.

Last edited by jbcohen; 01-12-2013 at 10:08 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #219
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Ok I recently got Samsung Tablet 2 , a 7 inch. As its an android device I was able to download FBReader to it. So now I have 2 book readers, but I bet the battery life as a reader will be woeful compared to my sony reader. The sony is staying! In fact I might upgrade the sony to a higher spec model later...
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #220
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnevi View Post
Then I hate the comparision between reading, playing games or watching film or television shows.
There are really bad books, written just for entertainment and there are movies that has changed my life forever.

For example, I don't like Jean Genets Querelle, but i loved Fassbinders filmed version of it. I hate the Sooky Stackhouse books, but the television show True Blood could be something of the best ever made for TV. Skyrim was a bigger culture experience for me than any other theaterplay I saw last year.
In my observation, and with a few notable exceptions, it isn't the best books that make good or movies. Good, but not great books, can do pretty well.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #221
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
In my observation, and with a few notable exceptions, it isn't the best books that make good or movies. Good, but not great books, can do pretty well.
Short stories work best because they don't have to throw out stuff the readers might scream about.
(Unless its a Tom Clancy novel, where throwing out 99% of the text leaves a perfectly fine movie.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #222
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
When it's as easy to read a book on your tablet on the beach as it is to read an e-ink reader, then the dedicated reader may die.
I NEVER read even paperback books on the beach. When I am at the beach, I am relaxing, swimming, resting, looking at girls...
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #223
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Yeah I can sympathize with that, its rather difficult to keep your eyes on the page rather than the members of the opposite sex. I tell my wife "I may be married but I'm not blind." I also tell her "What's good for the goose is good for the gander." If she had no interest any more then I would insist on taking her to a psychiatrist.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:50 PM   #224
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Yeah I can sympathize with that, its rather difficult to keep your eyes on the page rather than the members of the opposite sex. I tell my wife "I may be married but I'm not blind."
At this point my wife would offer to blind me.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #225
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
At this point my wife would offer to blind me.
My wife wouldn't offer, she would just do it.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote