Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
matsuiny2004
matsuiny2004 began at the beginning.

Device: none
super hero comics with rounded characters

What recent or old comics has well rounded characters as in characters with drama in their life and where your given a reason to actually care if the hero succeeds of fails. A comic where the characters are devloped before the plot really starts.
matsuiny2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I would say that for me, the top three stories with the best-rounded characters all came out in the same two year period. In order from most to least engaging, I would say:
  • The Daredevil "Born Again" Story arc
  • Watchmen
  • The Dark Knight Returns

I'd be a little surprised if you haven't already read these, but if you like, I would be more than willing to expand on why I hold these in such high esteem.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
matsuiny2004
matsuiny2004 began at the beginning.

Device: none
sure explain
matsuiny2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I was going to recommend "Path of the Assassin" by Kazuo Koike, but it looks like Dark Horse only allow you to read it through some kind of app or browser. No epubs or anything like that for ereaders. Oh well.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
I can't think of any modern SH comic that doesn't at least attempt to personalize the characters, hero and villain alike; the success being dependent on the writer.
But off the top of my head: Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Academy are some really character-centric books I've read recently. Also, the Identity Crisis (Justice League) mini is particularly dramatic.

Last edited by replica145; 08-28-2012 at 09:50 AM.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsuiny2004 View Post
What recent or old comics has well rounded characters as in characters with drama in their life and where your given a reason to actually care if the hero succeeds of fails. A comic where the characters are devloped before the plot really starts.
I really liked Y The Last Man and Transmetropolitan. I don't think I have ever read anything else by Warren Ellis that I liked, but he hit it with Transmetropolitan.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Superhero series where character comes before and above plot/action?
Quite a few:
The Roger Stern run of STARMAN comes to mind; the James Robinson run even more so.
Robinson's current SHADE.
The Mike Baron FLASH run.
NEXUS (long one, too).
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Superhero series where character comes before and above plot/action?
Quite a few:
The Roger Stern run of STARMAN comes to mind; the James Robinson run even more so.
Robinson's current SHADE.
The Mike Baron FLASH run.
NEXUS (long one, too).
As much as I liked Stern's run, Robinson's was much better and longer. Giving it time to develop. I think Stern only lasted about 2 years. The comic went downhill fast after Stern left.

Robinson's is available in trade form. I would also check out Robinson's Sandman run. One of my favorite series. I haven't reread either in awhile, think its time to.

Has there been many changes to the Shade or is he still pretty much the same character that was in Starman? Thought about checking it out. I generally don't buy new issues anymore.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
As much as I liked Stern's run, Robinson's was much better and longer. Giving it time to develop. I think Stern only lasted about 2 years. The comic went downhill fast after Stern left.
Uh... yeah... Like, 1 issue.
Everything that made the character and cast interesting was instantly ditched.

Quote:

Has there been many changes to the Shade or is he still pretty much the same character that was in Starman? Thought about checking it out. I generally don't buy new issues anymore.
The current SHADE series is by Robinson and it pretty much picks up after his last STARMAN appearance. Same general tone and style. Issue 12 will be a times-past featuring his origin. Not sure if it's still billed as a 12-issue limited series or if its been slipstreamed into an ongoing. Wouldn't mind it at all if it went on indefinitely; it's a different take on the not-quite-heroic superhuman.

Robinson is also running the show on EARTH 2, the totally rebooted/reimagined JSA series. It's too early to tell if it's going to work but so far the new EARTH 2 is looking more interesting than the Wildstormed "New 52" Earth. Paul Levitz' WORLD'S FINEST is also a fresh and fun title and a good bridge between EARTH 2 and the core DCU Earth.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
The Blob from X-Men comics
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
jtdolphins
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Uh... yeah... Like, 1 issue.
Everything that made the character and cast interesting was instantly ditched.
I had to go look after talking about this. Looks like Stern was responsible for some of those changes. I had forgotten that. The costume change took place in issue 26, with Stern's last issue being 28. I felt the book really started heading south with the "With the lets leave home because things are falling apart story" line before that in 21-24.

Can't really tell if it was him or the editor wanting those changes those.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Comics have jumped the shark because of DC's rebooting their entire universe.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Like they did in 1985?? 1995? 2005? 2009?
(And a few times in between?)

I'm no fan of the Wildstorming of the DCU (I believe the best of the New 52 titles are the ones that didn't reboot; the GL's, The Legion, Aquaman--yes, Aquaman is *cool*) but there is nothing particularly offensive in them rebooting the DCU yet again. (Crisis, Zero Hour, The Kingdom/Hypertime, Infinite Crisis...)

Last edited by fjtorres; 08-26-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You mean DC Comics have jumped the shark? Not sure how the New 52 would cause the entire medium to jump the shark.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
You mean DC Comics have jumped the shark? Not sure how the New 52 would cause the entire medium to jump the shark.
DC's shark jumping is so bad, it makes the entire comic industry look bad.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote