Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
JDawg
JDawg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Manual ToC makes duplicate chapters?

Hi all,
For a eBook project I am creating, in addition to the toc.ncx file I have a manually created Table of Contents at the beginning of my book. However, after I made the ToC, my file began displaying the last two chapters (seperate .xhtml documents) in my book twice. When I delete the ToC, this problem goes away. Is there anyway I could keep my Table of Contents and not have repeating documents in my .epub files? Thanks for any help.
JDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You need to give some more information there. Could you post your toc?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
JDawg

Yep! Here is the table of contents I created for the beginning of the book.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
	<head>
		<title>toc.xhtml</title>
		<link href="template.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
	</head>
<body>
<div>
<p class="chapter-chaptertitle">Table of Contents</p>
<p class="body-sectionpara"><a href="Preface.xhtml">Preface</a><br />
<a href="Prologue-v2.xhtml">Prologue</a><br />
<a href="Ch1-asym.xhtml">Chapter One: Leadership and Beliefs</a><br />
<a href="Ch2-asym.xhtml">Chapter Two: Leading Without Controlling</a><br />
<a href="Ch3-asym.xhtml">Three: From I to We</a><br />
<a href="Ch4-asym-box.xhtml">Chapter Four: Leading from a False Premise</a><br />
<a href="Ch5-asym.xhtml">Chapter Five: Surrendering to the Leader Within</a><br />
<a href="Ch6-asym-box.xhtml">Chapter Six: Leaders Choose Again</a><br />
<a href="Ch7-asym-box.xhtml">Chapter Seven: Values and Principles Show the Way</a><br />
<a href="Ch8-asym.xhtml">Chapter Eight-The Power of Purpose</a><br />
<a href="Ch9-asym.xhtml">Chapter Nine: Engaging Others</a><br />
<a href="Ch10-asym.xhtml">Chapter Ten: Change Happens</a><br />
<a href="furtherresources.xhtml">Further Resources</a><br />
<a href="about.xhtml">About the Author</a><br />
</p></div>
</body>
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg View Post
after I made the ToC, my file began displaying the last two chapters (seperate .xhtml documents) in my book twice. When I delete the ToC, this problem goes away.
The manual ToC looks fine. When you say "displaying the last two chapters (seperate .xhtml documents) in my book twice" do you mean the last two chapters are repeated as you page through the book? Or are they appearing twice in the generated (.ncx) ToC?
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
could you also place the toc.ncx file?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
JDawg

@charleski: I meant that they appeared twice as I scrolled through. Good clarification.
@Toxaris: The code isn't formatted at all, major props if you can wade through it.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE ncx PUBLIC "-//NISO//DTD ncx 2005-1//EN" "http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx-2005-1.dtd">
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1"><head><meta name="dtb:uid" content="67eac3c8-a91c-5138-e129-a4c2afd9da8d"/><meta name="dtb:depth" content="1"/><meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0"/><meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0"/></head><docTitle><text>The Inner-Work of Leadership</text></docTitle><navMap><navPoint id="navpoint-3" playOrder="1"><navLabel><text>Preface</text></navLabel><content src="Preface.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-4" playOrder="2"><navLabel><text>Prologue</text></navLabel><content src="Prologue-v2.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-5" playOrder="3"><navLabel><text>Chapter One: Leadership and Beliefs</text></navLabel><content src="Ch1-asym.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-6" playOrder="4"><navLabel><text>Chapter Two: Leading Without Controlling</text></navLabel><content src="Ch2-asym.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-7" playOrder="5"><navLabel><text>Chapter Three: From I to We</text></navLabel><content src="Ch3-asym.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-8" playOrder="6"><navLabel><text>Chapter Four: Leading from a False Premise</text></navLabel><content src="Ch4-asym-box.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-9" playOrder="7"><navLabel><text>Chapter Five: Surrendering to the Leader Within</text></navLabel><content src="Ch5-asym.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-10" playOrder="8"><navLabel><text>Chapter Six: Leaders Choose Again</text></navLabel><content src="Ch6-asym-box.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-11" playOrder="9"><navLabel><text>Chapter Seven: Values and Principles Show the Way</text></navLabel><content src="Ch7-asym-box.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-12" playOrder="10"><navLabel><text>Chapter Eight-The Power of Purpose</text></navLabel><content src="Ch8-asym.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-13" playOrder="11"><navLabel><text>Chapter Nine: Engaging Others</text></navLabel><content src="Ch9-asym.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-14" playOrder="12"><navLabel><text>Chapter Ten: Change Happens</text></navLabel><content src="Ch10-asym.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-15" playOrder="13"><navLabel><text>Further Resources</text></navLabel><content src="FurtherResources.xhtml"/></navPoint><navPoint id="navpoint-16" playOrder="14"><navLabel><text>About the Author</text></navLabel><content src="About.xhtml"/></navPoint></navMap></ncx>
Old 07-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #7
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Well, I can notice one thing that might be causing problems. In your manual ToC you have "furtherresources.xhtml" and "about.xhtml" whereas the ncx refers to "FurtherResources.xhtml" and "About.xhtml".
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
JDawg

I can't believe I made such a simple, simple error. Thank you charleski. I had no idea that capitalization was so important. You saved me countless hours of pouring over code to no avail. Problem solved!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDawg View Post

I can't believe I made such a simple, simple error. Thank you charleski. I had no idea that capitalization was so important. You saved me countless hours of pouring over code to no avail. Problem solved!
In Unix all file names are case sensitive and most eBook readers runs a form of Unix, Linux.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote