Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-21-2023, 02:27 PM   #31
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In this case, it's not Adobe's fault but Kobo's fault. Kobo is not using the latest version of RMSDK and so things that do work on the latest ADE 4.x would work on Kobo but were it not for the old version of RMSDK.

Cool. Thanks!

More reason to send complaints to the email above. Hopefully app developers can see how important it is to respect the standards… that’s kinda why there are standards after all.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 03:58 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Possibly true, because since my previous post I tried it on an eink PocketBook Touch HD3 where it works OK.

OTOH, do we know that PocketBook devices actually use an out-of-the-box Adobe reading app? I suppose it's possible that PocketBook have done their own improvements.
Pocketbook is using the current version of RMSDK which is why it worked when it won't work on Kobo.

I'm thinking that Pocketbook may be the only Reader company using the latest RMSDK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:54 PM   #33
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast
RatherBWriting began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad with Kindle
epub validator finds fragment identifier is not defined

I have run the Sigil plugin epubcheck and have corrected all of the errors listed except for these. In the Table of Contents, the error message is:

fragment identifier is not defined

The same error is listed for every single line of the TOC. Here are the first few lines of the TOC:

<!--Insert your table of contents here-->

<h2 id='toc' class="sigil_not_in_toc">Contents</h2>

<p class='center'><a href="ch1.xhtml#chapter01">Chapter One</a></p>

<p class='center'><a href="ch2.xhtml#chapter02">Chapter Two</a></p>

<p class='center'><a href="ch3.xhtml#chapter03">Chapter Three</a></p>

The Table of Contents seems to work just fine, but I'd like to correct this error. Thanks so much for your help -

RatherBWriting
RatherBWriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:59 PM   #34
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
A fragment identifier is the portion at the end of the url that begins/follows the #

It indicates where (which tag with that id attribute) to move to.

In your example, the url for Chapter One is looking in the file ch1.xhtml for a tag with id="chapter01".

Similar for the other urls.

The error means there is no tag with id="chapter01" in ch1.xhtml.

To fix this you could add id="chapter01" in a tag in ch1.xhtml that you want that link url to move to.

Alternatively if that link should go to the top of ch1.xhtml, then you can just edit the url in the toc to remove the #chapter01 from the end of the url as it is unneeded.

Ditto for the others.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-27-2023 at 03:40 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 04:24 PM   #35
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast

Hi, Kevin - thank you! Your advice was great, and easy to follow. I have fixed up the TOC as you suggested, and the epubcheck now has no errors.

I believe my next step should be to validate the epub - but the link I used for my last book (2 years ago), Validator.IDPF.Org , doesn't work. Has the IDPF stopped providing this service? Is there another validator to replace it?

Thanks again -
RatherBWriting
Old 06-30-2023, 05:11 PM   #36
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Epubcheck is the only real epub validator that I know about. It is/was created by the people who did the old idpf validator. It is now mantained by Daisy and w3c, I believe.

The epubcheck plugin for Sigil handles that.

See https://github.com/w3c/epubcheck if you want more details.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 03:06 PM   #37
RatherBWriting
Enthusiast

Thank you, Kevin! I've been "out of the loop" for the past two years, writing my book, and did not know that Sigil's epubcheck had replaced the validator I used previously. I greatly appreciate your help!

RatherBWriting

Tags
download epub check, epubcheck