Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Question Gray scale

I've searched here, d'loaded the manual and spoke to the people at SonyStyle but no able to find an answer yet.

How do you adjust the gray scale value on the 600. I don't have one yet but was trying it at the store - seems really dark to me.

Thanks
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Simple answer... you don't... and I'm afraid the complex answer is the same as well. 600 is darker than 300 due to touch screen layer... many people find it no problem but a minority can't deal with it... only answer is to check it out again and see if you can live with it otherwise look at a different eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
I've searched here, d'loaded the manual and spoke to the people at SonyStyle but no able to find an answer yet.

How do you adjust the gray scale value on the 600. I don't have one yet but was trying it at the store - seems really dark to me.

Thanks
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I assume you are talking abut the contrast level of the screen and the darkness (or lack thereof) of the default fonts displayed on the screen. As elcreative stated there are no adjustments you can make via the 600. However, there are some tricks you can use to improve readability.
  • Replace the default 600 fonts with better, darker fonts. (This is complicated, but once accomplished all books will use these fonts.)
  • Strip the DRM from the book then use calibre to make the font display as bold text. (A bit complicated and it requires some knowledge of CSS.)
  • Add additional fonts to the 600, strip the DRM from the book, then use calibre to substitute the additional fonts for the default fonts. (Very complicated and it requires a lot of knowledge of CSS.)
  • Strip the DRM from the book then use calibre to convert it to LRF format and embed the fonts you want to substitute for the default fonts. (A bit complicated and I'm not sure whether the 600 can display LRF formatted books. The 300 can but the 900 cannot, I think.)

All of these options are documented in this forum so do a search for them.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-25-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Thanks
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote