Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
adeve
adeve began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Newbie checking in

Hiya all!

My name is Anne, Adeve on the net. I hate reading anything more than a few pages on my laptop (eyestrain) and sooo want an eInk-reader, so I've been lurking here (and the Wiki) for the last days and trying to find out about different options...

What I'd really want is a Sony PRS-700, mostly because it has a touch screen, but I suspect that I could do with less... especially considering that the 700 isn't even sold&supported in Finland and ApoloXXI had it listed for 499€+shipping...

Since I don't have any eBooks downloaded yet, I'm free to choose almost anything (as long it speaks some PDF - I knit and most patterns&charts are sold in PDF-form)

I'm Finnish speaking, but read anything in Swedish and English, too. Mostly fiction, from Jude Deveraux to Liza Marklund, Neil Gaiman and Orson Scott Card. (and Juha Vuorinen, totally NSFW)
adeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, adeve.

Feel free to ask questions, lots of people here stand ready to help.

In anticipation of your new device, how about downloading some of the books available here? You can sort by author, genre, title or format.

Enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome, Adeve

Have you considered the 505? It doesn't have a touchscreen, but it is a capable reader
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Hi Adeve!
I also started off looking at the 700, but had similar issues as you about support and cost. I ended up with the 505 and I haven't regretted it - it's brilliant and after I'd had it a week I didn't know how I'd managed without it. Although it doesn't have a touch screen it's easy to use.

They seem to be a good price at the moment as well, with many places offering deals, so if price is a consideration that might help.

Whatever you eventually choose there are lots of free books here you'll be able to download
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
Sony 505, on the condition its in silver.

If you can http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...k/Product.html have them for only £150.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Anne and welcome to MobileRead. Good advice about the 505. I've had one for over a year and a half and I like it a lot.

Last edited by MickeyC; 06-25-2009 at 09:23 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello adeve , and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome butterfly.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	31201 to Mobileread.

I have the Sony 505, in Silver, and love it.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, adeve!

If you have a chance to try out both the Sony 505 and 700, do so. I compared them at my local bookstore. There were things I liked about both but felt that the 700 met my requirements a little better. Since the reader is a long term investment, make sure you get the reader that is closest to meeting your own personal requirements. I know I would have been happy with the 505 (and my husband would have been happier with the price ) but I knew the 700 was more to my liking. I justified the extra cost because it was a one time purchase that I would be living with for sometime. Good luck in deciding, but, either way, you can't go wrong with a Sony!

Enjoy!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I love my 505! I got it as a gift before the 700 came out, but when it did come out, I realized I liked my 505 better. For my purposes, it worked perfectly. welcome to the board, and good luck deciding!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hi Adeve, and welcome to Mobile Read!
I don't have an e-reader yet, but I've played with a 505 and I liked it a lot. Problem is, I figure this particular thread is biased for an obscure reason (505 owners are more welcoming or they really want you to join their color club?) so I'd say: check out this forum for more info!
Glad to have you on board!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
adeve
adeve began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
*coughs* er-um- I just might have bought the 505... in silver... *ducks and hides*

The thing is: none of the eInk-devices are sold here, in my hometown, even if we have 10-15 (depends whether you count the hypermarkets too) different shops that sell electronics...

So I've been reading and reading the past few days, different forums, the mobileread, Wiki... and decided the Sony-700's touch screen wasn't worth the extra 150€. So I placed an order (Play.com doesn't deliver electronic devices outside UK, BTW) on the Advanced MP3 Players on the 505. I googled for coupons and found this code (jolly) that gave 10% discount. Reader+AC-charger+shipping totalled for £237 (around 280€ - Apolo had it for 350€+shipping) happyhappy.

Off to search for books. I already found my teenage-favorites : Burroughs' Barsoom-series and Pellucidars - I spent several years (-96-2000) trying to find reprints of them, didn't dare to buy anything from the interwebs back then. Only the 4 first Pellucidars were ever translated to Finnish so I'm happy to finally get to read the rest of them, too. (Added bonus: Now I can read them in their original language )
adeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Anne, congrats on your new toy. Be sure and let us know when you get it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote