Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Kobo Touch Frozen

I was having the storage error and updated to the new version. It was good for half a day, and then my kobo touch froze up completely on a sleep screen with a library book.

I've tried it on 3 different computers, and none of them recognize it. I tried pressing "on" and "hold." I tried charging it for 3 hours. I tried the paper clip reset. Nothing whatsoever. I tried downloading Calibre. It won't recognize it.

I heard that you can boot it up from an sd card, but all the threads I can find on that pertain to the original Kobo. I have a Linux netbook with Ubuntu, but I'm a bit of a Linux noob. Any help?

I'm in Canada, so I am fortunate that I can take it to a Chapters, but I heard you need the box. I've got the bill, but not the box.

Arrgh.

tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
You could try a factory reset using the Touch buttons. Here is how to do it.
Push and release the power slider WHILE holding down the Home button.

Notes:
Push and release the power slider quickly.
If the factory reset is successfully initiated the LED light will turn red.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
You only need the box to make a claim under the official Protection Plan. You don't necessarily need the box for a return to a retail store. Many stories from users here on Mobile Read tell of happy outcomes from just walking into the original store and requesting a replacement.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea2 View Post
I was having the storage error and updated to the new version. It was good for half a day, and then my kobo touch froze up completely on a sleep screen with a library book.

I've tried it on 3 different computers, and none of them recognize it. I tried pressing "on" and "hold." I tried charging it for 3 hours. I tried the paper clip reset. Nothing whatsoever. I tried downloading Calibre. It won't recognize it.

I heard that you can boot it up from an sd card, but all the threads I can find on that pertain to the original Kobo. I have a Linux netbook with Ubuntu, but I'm a bit of a Linux noob. Any help?

I'm in Canada, so I am fortunate that I can take it to a Chapters, but I heard you need the box. I've got the bill, but not the box.

Arrgh.

Holy cow, this sounds exactly like what happened to me, in virtually every detail, down to syncing with an Ubuntu netbook (I'm an experienced Linux user, though).

I just tried initiating a factory reset as explained by Joe563. I got the red light, and then the LED strobed for a couple of minutes, but at the end of it, my KT was still frozen on the same ebook cover. Weird!

I sent a help email to Kobo today. Here's hoping that they're not too stringent about requiring the box, because like you, I have the receipt, but not the box -- and I bought my Kobo from a Borders in the US.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #5
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
I just tried initiating a factory reset as explained by Joe563. I got the red light, and then the LED strobed for a couple of minutes, but at the end of it, my KT was still frozen on the same ebook cover. Weird!
OK, after that, I was able to partially clear the screen by simply toggling the top switch, but there remained a portion of the ebook cover on the screen. I initiated another factory reset, with the same LED strobing, but nothing could change the screen after that.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
Thank you all for the feedback. The reset worked; the comp recognized the device, but now my screen, like rwhe's, is not working.

I'll take it back to Chapters and see...

Thanks again! You guys are great!
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote