Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Will PRS-600 get the same Newspaper functions as PRS-900?

I like the idea of the PRS-900. I unfortunately don't like the size, my PRS-600 is perfect for me. I was wondering however if Sony might put in the same Newspaper daily downloads like the PRS-900, just using the cable instead of over the air? I know about Calibre software, but I prefer doing it direct through the bookstore if possible, Calibre had kind of messed up my system a bit, and the rendering was getting sloppy for me for some reason.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Check out Calibre, it will download a web site daily for you and load it onto your reader.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Check out Calibre, it will download a web site daily for you and load it onto your reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I know about Calibre software, but I prefer doing it direct through the bookstore if possible, Calibre had kind of messed up my system a bit, and the rendering was getting sloppy for me for some reason.
I figured I would bump this up.....anyone? anyone? Bueller?
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
afsandiego
Enthusiast
afsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600 and iPhone 3GS
i believe so.. look at my post regarding what the LA Times look like on the PRS-600:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66524
afsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
strico
Enthusiast
strico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy bluestrico can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Doug,

I bought Sunday's Financial Times a few days ago using my PRS-600 for the sake of trying it.
The 360 pages newspaper was displayed smoothly and nicely on my screen.
As I'm not aware of the exact features of PRS-900, I cannot tell you whether you'll be satisfied of the outcome, but it passed my test.
strico is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I figured I would bump this up.....anyone? anyone? Bueller?
that was funny
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The subscriptions will work with the 600/505, you just have to download them in the morning manually.

What you get with the 900 over the 600 with newspapers:

- Auto delivery over 3G
- Categorization of periodicals as periodicals rather than books.
- Specialized buttons for navigating periodicals on the touch screen (mostly making jumps to sections easier than finding the start/end of an article)
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
I downloaded the Wall Street Journal to try last night, and it looks quite good, and is easy to read on my 505. I like that photos are included, though I think navigating will take some getting used to. Does anyone know if they will be adding any Canadian newspapers?
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote