Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #661
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Nothing so clever, I'm afraid-- it's a brand name of a kind of wool sock. http://www.smartwool.com

Essentially, these are socks made from pre-shrunk Merino wool, with a "loop" surface interior (like a bath towel). Very comfy, very warm, not itchy at all. I'm wearing a pair right now.
well, i guess i'm still intrigued, but i admit being disappointed about the laundry and grocery shopping.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:54 AM   #662
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Well, see, I have a house-husband for those tasks. :ducks-thrown-objects:
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #663
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I was just gonna post "Isn't that what you have your significant other for" ... but you beat me to it
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #664
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
No, nothing so mundane. I like Zee-Zee's conception of "smart wool" so much better. The image of two socks sitting at the bar, ordering shots and leering at pretty girls is so much more satisfying. After about six shots the left sock slurs, "be right back, I gotta go wring myself out". The right sock, we'll call him "Hugo", just nods, swivels on the stool and says to Hazel, the aging cocktail waitress, "Hey, Toots, wanna slip into something more comfortable?".

Hours later, Hugo and Lefty, sodden, unraveled, smelling of scotch, cigarettes and working girls' feet, collapse at Zee-Zee's apartment door, singing "un kilometre a pied" at the top of their voices.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #665
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
yes i'd recommend ducking...

(note to self : explore possibility of convincing someone to be your house-husband. clearly socks and cats are worthless for this sort of thing.)
Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #666
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hmm. i am actually kind of tempted by those socks. i am just a bit afraid they would not fit inside my shoes, but at worst i could wear them at home while working, instead of wearing two pair of non-electrified wool socks (one very tall, over the knee, and over that a shorter but really thick and fluffy one)...
If two pair of wool socks will fit inside your shoes, one pair of battery powered ones shouldn't be a problem. The wiring isn't bulky. If it were, the socks might be too uncomfortable to wear.

Quote:
i do think i will first test out the wool + nylon theory though.
Let us know the results. It's an interesting theory I hadn't encountered before.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #667
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
No, nothing so mundane. I like Zee-Zee's conception of "smart wool" so much better. The image of two socks sitting at the bar, ordering shots and leering at pretty girls is so much more satisfying. After about six shots the left sock slurs, "be right back, I gotta go wring myself out". The right sock, we'll call him "Hugo", just nods, swivels on the stool and says to Hazel, the aging cocktail waitress, "Hey, Toots, wanna slip into something more comfortable?".

Hours later, Hugo and Lefty, sodden, unraveled, smelling of scotch, cigarettes and working girls' feet, collapse at Zee-Zee's apartment door, singing "un kilometre a pied" at the top of their voices.
that is a lot closer to what i was envisaging.

i'll just have to try to give them as close to the exact amount needed for the groceries as possible, since clearly they are no more reliable than cats in this matter.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #668
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
If two pair of wool socks will fit inside your shoes, one pair of battery powered ones shouldn't be a problem. The wiring isn't bulky. If it were, the socks might be too uncomfortable to wear.

Let us know the results. It's an interesting theory I hadn't encountered before.
______
Dennis
i don't wear shoes when i'm at home, so no problem there.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #669
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
that is a lot closer to what i was envisaging.

i'll just have to try to give them as close to the exact amount needed for the groceries as possible, since clearly they are no more reliable than cats in this matter.
Cats are worse.... It's a known fact that if your cat was able to empty the litter box and open it's cans by itself, you would NOT be allowed to live at your cats place.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #670
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
(note to self : explore possibility of convincing someone to be your house-husband. clearly socks and cats are worthless for this sort of thing.)
Oddly enough, when I explain our arrangement to other people, the women all wish they were married to someone like that and most of the men wish they were allowed to stay home and take care of the house. And yet the arrangement is rare.

Then again, with most of the couples I know, both are working one or two jobs each just to keep their heads above water.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #671
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Oddly enough, when I explain our arrangement to other people, the women all wish they were married to someone like that and most of the men wish they were allowed to stay home and take care of the house. And yet the arrangement is rare.
i was going to say "what's so odd about that ??" until i got to your last sentence.

just goes to show, sometimes people just can't see the obvious...
Old 09-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #672
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Or dogs.

There's an old joke about the guy who finally thinks he has his dog trained to fetch groceries. He gives the dog a five dollar bill, and tells him to go to the corner deli and get a quart of milk and a dozen eggs.

Half an hour later, the dog isn't back, so he goes out to look for him, and finds him in an alley halfway down the block, mounting a female.

"What the hell?", he says. "You never did this before"
"I never had the five dollars before!" replies the dog.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #673
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
At the laundromat, Hugo nudges Lefty and says, "want to go for a spin?"

Lefty, noticing a small hole starting to form, tells Hugo, "Zelda just doesn't give a darn!".
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #674
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Lefty keeps falling down, and Hugo gets annoyed with him and exclaims "I swaer you are all left feet!"
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #675
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
yes i'd recommend ducking...

Don't even think about it...(as I go out to prune shrubs...)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?