Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #16
HaggisMacJedi
Zealot
HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HaggisMacJedi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 4, iPhone 4
Just FWIW, I've never let my Kindle get below a half charge and it's never frozen on me.
HaggisMacJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you really want to charge your Kindle from your PC then buy a Palm Zire USB cable. It has two tips that split off the main cable. One is your USB small device plug and the other is a power tip that is perfect for the Kindle. I haven't used the wall charger since I bought this. And I use the USB to sync with my PC and the USB plug also will charge other devices so I leave this cable hooked up to my PC and and use it with my camera, MP3 players, Kindle, and compatible phones.

I found my cable for less than $5 shipped off of eBay. This was the single best accessory I purchased for the Kindle.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
If you have dl'd some large files recently, such as the MobiPocket Guide from here, then the CPU will be indexing while idle. This uses a lot of charge and may give you aberrant results.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh yeah, indexing eats batteries. I loaded a couple of hundred books and the battery was totally dead the next morning.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:32 AM   #20
cottontimer
cottontimer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Out of paranoia, I bought a spare Kindle battery but can't figure out how to remove the original so as to charge the spare! Does anyone have a tip for taking out the battery?

The manual makes it sound so easy to pop out but I can't make mine budge. If it's this hard to exchange batteries, getting a spare may not be worth it....
cottontimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontimer View Post
Out of paranoia, I bought a spare Kindle battery but can't figure out how to remove the original so as to charge the spare! Does anyone have a tip for taking out the battery?

The manual makes it sound so easy to pop out but I can't make mine budge. If it's this hard to exchange batteries, getting a spare may not be worth it....
The little pin thingie with all the wires can be prised out with a finger nail. A bit of wiggling back and forth usually does the trick for me.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If you really want to charge your Kindle from your PC then buy a Palm Zire USB cable. It has two tips that split off the main cable. One is your USB small device plug and the other is a power tip that is perfect for the Kindle. I haven't used the wall charger since I bought this. And I use the USB to sync with my PC and the USB plug also will charge other devices so I leave this cable hooked up to my PC and and use it with my camera, MP3 players, Kindle, and compatible phones.

I found my cable for less than $5 shipped off of eBay. This was the single best accessory I purchased for the Kindle.
Thanks for that tip! I just ordered the Zire Cable.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #23
gkbeer
Enthusiast
gkbeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch,
battery life and SDHC?

Books can be stored internally or on SDHC.

Does reading a book stored on the SDHC run the power down faster than reading the same book stored internally?
gkbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #24
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbeer View Post

Does reading a book stored on the SDHC run the power down faster than reading the same book stored internally?
So they say. I haven't tested it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbeer View Post

Yes, it does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #26
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Honestly, I don't see much of a difference reading off the SD card.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #27
gkbeer
Enthusiast

Is indexing the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Honestly, I don't see much of a difference reading off the SD card.
That might depend on the specific card, undoubtedly some burn more juice than others. Checking the web I found the power used by some were 35-80mA for writing.

I've learned that the Kindle indexes new books. I had loaded 80 or 90 all at once and put them on the SD card.

I'm wondering how long it would take to index those books. This would keep the CPU and the SD card active, and if the indices were being written to the SD card - That would use the most power of all.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #28
gkbeer
Enthusiast

Exclamation Sudden short battery life observed and fixed.

Ok, Something new to add with respect to low battery life.

I found my Kindle depleting in a day or less, with wispernet off. Charging it overnight didn't get the battery filled.

I tried:

Switching it off and on.
Resetting it.
Then thought to remove the battery to let it fully expire.
When I removed the battery, the plug, unexpectedly, slipped out of the socket without any effort. The wires didn't even stretch out.

That was odd!

Then I recalled having fumbled my Kindle the day before. The drop was from about waist high onto a solid floor. No damage, but I'm guessing the battery plug was loosened, just enough to cause a problem with the battery meter reading correctly.

So if you are have a sudden loss of battery life, I suggest checking to see that the battery plug is solidly seated.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
ibm650
ibm650 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
I found that if I loaded about a gig of books, that the battery would die after a few hours of reading, I called kindle support and they are checking with engineering. I have 150 pages of books.
ibm650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #30
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm650 View Post
I found that if I loaded about a gig of books, that the battery would die after a few hours of reading, I called kindle support and they are checking with engineering. I have 150 pages of books.
It appears you have another thread started on this. Why bring back a 2008 thread with 2008 technology?
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote