Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Smile Another New Toy For Me - A White Pandigital

I was so good. I was doing online Christmas shopping for family members, not looking at anything that I might want. But slowly I got suckered in, checking out what ereaders might be available on the various sites. I blame it on my nephew, who let me play around with his iPad. Can't afford that right at the present so I decided to get another ereader for my collection - because that is what it is turning out to be, lol.

The winner this time is a white Pandigital. I don't yet have it (it's going to be shipped to me) but I was intrigued by all the larger size, the color, the Wifi ability, that it's an Android, and by all of the hacks and tweaks that people at SlateDroid have come up with for it. Hopefully, its pluses will outweigh its minuses.

Now lets see if I will be able to resist playing with it until Christmas....
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Now lets see if I will be able to resist playing with it until Christmas....
Ha! Good luck with that!
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Be sure to tell us how you like it once you get a chance to play around with it. Enjoy!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I had one a while ago before it got stollen and would have advised you to save your dollars its not worth it in my opinion. 1) very slow boot time; 2) slips up a lot and needs to be reset very frequently. Here is some advice to cope with your new purchase: 1) Keep a paperclip with the pandigital (there is a reset button on the back that will require a paperclip to get to it and reset); 2) Be very patient its very slow.

Last edited by jbcohen; 12-03-2010 at 10:00 PM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw your posts about it in the other thread and took it under consideration. I've also read other posts where people are happy with it. I do realize that it's a crapshoot.

One of my most useful tools is a large unbent paperclip. I keep it in the drawer with my USB cables, so I can always find it. Something always seems to need to be reset - lol.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Of all of the readers you own which needs to be reset the most? I have had my Aluratek for approximatly three monts and I have reset it twice.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I've had the Sony for a couple of months and I think that I've had to reset it twice. The Aluratek I've had for a little under a yearand I've probably reset it about five times. I think the Aluratek tends to freeze if you don't give it enough time to process one request before you make another. The Sony has a faster processor so there's less likelihood of it tripping over itself, I think.

I also needed that paperclip for my old Creative Zen MP3 player, and for a few other electronic doodads.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

PS: Actually the eBookman would win the "need to reset most" contest.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
I have had to reset my Novel 3 times in the 4 1/2 months that I've had it ... and they were all in the first 2 weeks. I agree with you, Xanthe, I think it, "...tends to freeze if you don't give it enough time to process one request before you make another."

My Novel has been trouble free and, considering what I paid for it, is a great device. I hope you have similar experiences.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
what firmware do you run on it, gastan?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
I just bought a white Pandigital Novel with Barnes & Noble app about 3 weeks ago. With my coupons & rebate it'll only be $100.00 + tax.

I do love my Sony reader, and find it is the best for reading ebooks (less stress on the eyes).

I am enjoying the Pandigital, and have downloaded a good variety of B&N ebook freebies that I can't get for the Sony and find it works well viewing PDF files. I like it for various reports, maps etc in PDF format that are AWFUL on the Sony reader (sizing and viewing work wonderfully!). The wi-fi is fast (I take it McDonalds for the free wi-fi ;D ), and I can surf the web faster than my regular computer. I have had to reboot it a couple of times, but like other posts above mentioned, it is probably because of my impatience when waiting for something to process.

It also syncs up fine with Adobe Digital Editions, and I use that to put all my ePub & PDF files onto the Pandigital.

It does have a touch screen, and I ended up buying a packet of Nintendo DS stylus' - I don't like using my nails as they suggest as an option - it's not a finger slide like the iPad. The stylus works well, and I recommend its use!

I would buy this ereader again.

Last edited by bookratt; 11-30-2010 at 09:47 PM.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
I hope you have better luck than I did. Worked fine for about a month then it froze and would not reset. I tried to reload the firmware and it still hung forever on boot and would not turn off at all. It was still within the 30 days from BBB and I promptly took it back to them. I then researched and finally got a Kindle 3G. However the new job I have now got does not allow active electronics on the floor. ;{
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #13
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Soondai ... I still use the 8-6-2010 firmware with the basic hack and the notification bar hack and I've added the apps I want/need. I haven't tried any of the alternate firmwares that other users have put together. (I may try the Android 2.2 one if they ever get it finalized). The newer PD firmware updates don't seem to add much functionality and I am not having any problems sooooo ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I use my PDN solely as an eReader 99.5% of the time. That's what it was originally designed as and it works just fine in that capacity. I even use the PDReader app over any other. It suits my needs okay and has some features that I like over others like Aldiko.

I only use the "tablet" functions of the Novel very rarely. When I do use it to check e-mail or some light web-browsing it is slow and there are some quirks ... but I knew that going in. I never expected to pay such a low price and get a Ferrari. For the ridiculously low price that I got the Novel for, it was and is a great device.

Again, I got it to use primarily as an eReader, not a laptop replacement to use streaming video and audio, etc.. In that capacity it works just fine.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Just got the notice that it shipped; should arrive early next week. It's going to be really hard to keep from opening it up - lol.

I've ordered a 16GB micro SDHC card to replace the one that comes with it, plus a 16GB external SDHC card, to give it a little extra oomph. I'm reading the various wikis and forum posts on SlateDroid to try to get myself up to speed on the device, but I have to say, some of it is over my head and I'm loathe to post any questions there because they seem to be a bit snappish in their responses to newbies.

For those of you that have the device and have modified it a bit, what do you recommend as the essential first steps for me to take once I unbox it? (Other than to charge it up, of course ). I think that I'm going to use it for more of its pad function - got a 2 year old nephew whose fascinated with all of my electronic toys and I want to see what I can pull up on there that will intrigue him.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just got the notice that it shipped; should arrive early next week. It's going to be really hard to keep from opening it up - lol.

I've ordered a 16GB micro SDHC card to replace the one that comes with it, plus a 16GB external SDHC card, to give it a little extra oomph. I'm reading the various wikis and forum posts on SlateDroid to try to get myself up to speed on the device, but I have to say, some of it is over my head and I'm loathe to post any questions there because they seem to be a bit snappish in their responses to newbies.

For those of you that have the device and have modified it a bit, what do you recommend as the essential first steps for me to take once I unbox it? (Other than to charge it up, of course ). I think that I'm going to use it for more of its pad function - got a 2 year old nephew whose fascinated with all of my electronic toys and I want to see what I can pull up on there that will intrigue him.
Well are you familiar with the cmd prompt (DOS box) and batch files? If so maybe start with the first “hack” that was done on the Novel (look in the wiki at slatedroid) and go from there as it teaches you a little. If not then read all the different prebuilt hacks that are in the Pandigital Novel section and test the ones that seem good to you. I haven’t tried any of the pre built FW hacks as I have done everything manually is cmd prompt etc.

I would definitely recommend one of the soft button hacks that add software buttons on top that are accessible all or most of the time depending on the app that is running. I have only tried one set so can’t say which one is best.

As for home screen I do like Launchpro but have heard that ADW is also very good. Not sure if this helps at all since you have been at the forums but I can try to answer some questions (not that I am an expert though).
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote