Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
thecyberphotog
thecyberphotog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
Noobie and DRM-stripping

Hi there,

Forgive me here but I just purchased an ereader and I am diving in head first into the world of ebooks. I am having the following problem. I purchased two epub books. Now I want to convert to LRF format because I read that it is mych clearer than epub format. I have installed Calibre. WhenI try to convert the files in Calibre it says they are DRM'd files and need to be stripped of this protection. Can someone explain easily for me what Ineed todo to get rid of the DRM so I can do the conversion in Calibre. I have read that it requires some kind of scripts but I was confused on just how to do this. I am using MAC OS X just to give some added information.

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...B
thecyberphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See ePub & PDF decryption on Mac OSX.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #3
thecyberphotog

Thanks for your reply. You'll have to excuse me here but I find these explanations rather confusing. Is there not a simple straight forward way to do this? Does somebody know where I can find an easy way to do this? Maybe there is an Applescript that will do all of this automatically?

...B

Last edited by thecyberphotog; 12-16-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that it's against MR rules to either request, or to provide, step-by-step instructions on DRM removal. We can tell you the names of the tools, but I'm afraid that's as far as it goes.

Thanks,

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
thecyberphotog

Cool thanks for the reply. I understand. Guess that is why it is so hard to find information on it.

Tell me this then. Is it possible to convert DRM'd epub file to LRF format. I have read the LRF format is better for the Sony eReader. I tried in Calibre but received error message saying it couldn't because the file was DRM encrypted. Or is there any way to improve the layout and readability of a DRM'd epub book without converting?

...B
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecyberphotog View Post
Tell me this then. Is it possible to convert DRM'd epub file to LRF format.

Or is there any way to improve the layout and readability of a DRM'd epub book without converting?
To change the contents of the ePub you need to remove the DRM first. Then Calibre can convert it to LRF for you. It is very easy to use the ineptepub.pyw script under Windows. The thread I pointed you to discusses ineptepub on Macs. This thread is long, and sometimes the solution is in the middle of the thread. However I have no direct experience with Macs and I have not recently read this particular thread. If you get stuck, I suggest asking in that thread.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
No way to convert any ebook without first removing the drm.
But I have to ask, what is it you don't like about epub? I read a lot of epubs on my reader and have no complaints. One thing I've heard that lrf does and epub doesn't (yet) is full justification, but I actually prefer non-justified text. Other than that, I don't think you'll see much of a difference.
Also, if you have questions, privately asking people who might know usually helps
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that it's against MR rules to either request, or to provide, step-by-step instructions on DRM removal. We can tell you the names of the tools, but I'm afraid that's as far as it goes.
Can't we link to some pertinent threads right here on MobileRead? I'm just asking where does the boundary lie.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote