Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Post Goya, Francisco: Los caprichos (Spanish, Illustrated). v5 21 Nov 2010

Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes (1746-1828) was a Spanish painter and printmaker. He was court painter but also painted popular scenes and events. Much of the image we have now of the 18th-19th century in Spain is in "Goyesque" style, as shown by his paintings and drawings. He has been regarded both as the last of the old masters and as the first of the moderns.

"Los caprichos" (1799) is a series of 80 aquatints (etchings) created as a sort of artistic experiment, it is a sarcastic critique of the superstition and foolishness of the Society of his time, although the meaning of the plates is not always straightforward.

This is a "book" with almost no text, just the pictures (and their titles, and comments). The pictures are scanned from a paper reproduction, except the last three unpublished ones.

I'm uploading two versions. The one named *_SmIm.mobi has smaller (in filesize) images, to comply with mobipocket limitations/specifications. The "large images" (and better quality) version works fine in the Cybook and in the Mobipocket Desktop Reader, though, so my advice is to use this if your reader supports it.

All kind of feedback is welcome.

EDIT (v2): Scanned the images from a paper reproduction, added two contemporary comments to each plate, added three unpublished pictures, included thumbnails in the TOC and a gallery of miniatures.

EDIT (v3): Replaced the three unpublished plates with better quality scans from another paper edition.

EDIT (v4): Added a fourth unpublished plate and re-scanned everything from the new paper edition.

EDIT (v5): Fixed some typing mistakes.

(Previous download count: 180 & 130)
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Los caprichos.mobi (16.15 MB, 445 views)
File Type: mobi Los caprichos_SmIm.mobi (4.41 MB, 408 views)

Last edited by Jellby; 11-21-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder... If anyone has tried any of my Goya series in anything other than the Cybook, how is the quality? The Cybook is good enough to see the pictures as a whole, but much of the detail is lost, I guess 4 shades of grey is not enough, but the dithering helps a lot in making it look fine. How does it look with 8 or 16 grey levels? Can you see the shape in the back of number 4, for example?
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I wonder... If anyone has tried any of my Goya series in anything other than the Cybook, how is the quality? The Cybook is good enough to see the pictures as a whole, but much of the detail is lost, I guess 4 shades of grey is not enough, but the dithering helps a lot in making it look fine. How does it look with 8 or 16 grey levels? Can you see the shape in the back of number 4, for example?
This may not really be the kind of response you had in mind, but it may help.

Ok, I converted the (large) .prc to .imp for the eBookwise 1150 which can handle 16 shades of gray (320x480) and the images are a bit washed. However, I think the original images may have been so as well. If you have access to the free imp viewer.exe (part of eBook Publisher), you can see for yourself with the attached EBW1150 .imp (first 5 pages only). A copy of the extracted image on page 4 is attached as well (I can't see a "shape" in the back).

I also converted this .prc to the colour 480x640 REB1200 .imp my reader uses and, other than the title page with Goya's picture, all the images appear "on par" with the EBW1150 .imp quality.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	record-9.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	20399  
Attached Files
File Type: imp Goya, Francisco - Caprichos_first 5 pages only.imp (749.4 KB, 492 views)
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
A copy of the extracted image on page 4 is attached as well (I can't see a "shape" in the back).
Yes, you do (or you are half-blind). Maybe I didn't explain myself. I meant "in the background", i.e., the shape I meant is the man with stripes on his back, behind the man-child with a dress. The other problem is I thought I didn't see it in the Cybook, but now I see I do, my memory must be playing dirty tricks

Thanks for trying, I guess it's not so bad then. The original images should be unaltered in the high-quality version, if you extract them with mobi2html or whatever.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
the man with stripes on his back, behind the man-child with a dress.
Oh, and I thought that bold part above was a chair...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
This is an excellent idea, Jellby. Thank you. I often have my ebook reader near me when I'm drawing and it would be excellent to have a collection of art that I can refer to for ideas.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I scanned the images from a paper reproduction and added two contemporary comments to each plate (a set of them attributed to Goya himself). Also added three unpublished pictures, included thumbnails in the TOC and a gallery of miniatures for quickly getting to any image (although in the Cybook you have to go through all the miniatures one by one). Uploaded v2.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I got another paper edition from the library and scanned from there the three unpublished plates. Upladed v3.

I will scan from this book the other series too, if I can fit it in my scanner
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Re-scanned everything from this new paper edition, I think the quality is a bit higher than the previous, since it seems to be a reproduction of a later edition of the plates (there are corrections made to the titles under some plates). Uploaded v4.

I think this pretty much completes the Goya series. I'm now quite satisfied with the quality of almost all scans.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Just fixed some typing mistakes. Uploaded v5.

Tags
art, engravings