Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What should our May category be?
Mystery/Thriller 18 62.07%
Philosophy 10 34.48%
Modern Lit. 12 41.38%
Award Winners 10 34.48%
Biography/Memoirs 13 44.83%
Fantasy 11 37.93%
Indie 4 13.79%
MobileRead Authors 9 31.03%
Science Fiction 13 44.83%
Young Adult 8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Well, it was still nominated, seconded and thirded.
Mistakes happen. I even voted for it in this poll before realizing the mistake.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #32
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can easily find a book that is so far into one category that the other is not even in site with a Hubble telescope. So no, they are not in the same ballpark. They can be very far apart. Take cozy mysteries for example. They are very very far away from thrillers.
Anyone can find examples to prove a point. What I said was that they are generally in the same ball-park, even if they are different (and I agree that they are). They are much closer than, say, Thrillers and Classics (and yes, I know some classics are thrillers, but hopefully you get my gist).

I still say that even as one category you can nominate either a Mystery or a Thriller (and books can even be both), no harm done .

Last edited by orlok; 01-08-2013 at 11:04 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I think Biography/Memoirs would be the only NonFiction category I would support, personally. I just don't want it to be right after Classics month. In fact, I would suggest it for August.
On second thought, I may have spoken too hastilyon this. I mean one of the reasons for my wanting to be in a book club (besides having fun) is to expose my library to books I wouldn't normally read. So..

Besides Biographies (and the like) or Politics (which I don't think would be safe to pursue). What other NonFiction categories would you guys want to explore?

There is History of course, maybe Cultures...

There is also the possibility of someone starting a NonFiction specific book club.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #34
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For me non-fiction is all about science and information. I read lots of books on information and lots of books on design and some books on science. But then I'm an Information Architecture geek.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #35
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Besides Biographies (and the like) or Politics (which I don't think would be safe to pursue). What other NonFiction categories would you guys want to explore?
Science appears to be popular, if this long running recommendations thread is anything to go by.

I would prefer a general non-fiction category rather than a sub-category.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #36
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Jon, I understand your reasoning (also I'm personally okay with the broad category) but:

We had this discussion when we searched for the April categories. There we additionally had a category "crime" but it made more confusion than any good to have it too devided. Obviously "Mystery/Thriller" seems to be the general consensus as this discussion didn't start anew with the May selection.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
On second thought, I may have spoken too hastilyon this. I mean one of the reasons for my wanting to be in a book club (besides having fun) is to expose my library to books I wouldn't normally read. So..

There is History of course, maybe Cultures...

There is also the possibility of someone starting a NonFiction specific book club.
The best way to get politics in is to nominate non-fiction as a category and if it wins, nominate a political book and hope it wins if it gets to the vote.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That problem is easy to solve. Is the book more mystery then thriller? If yes, it belongs in mystery. Is it more thriller then mystery? If yes, then it belongs in thriller. Is there an equal enough overlap? If yes, then it belongs in either.
And you often don't know what category some of those books belong in until you've read them since a lot of publishers lump the two together.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #39
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Science appears to be popular, if this long running recommendations thread is anything to go by.

I would prefer a general non-fiction category rather than a sub-category.
A general NonFiction category would be okay, but I think people like narrowing down their choices somewhat and "NonFiction" by itself is a big category.

As to the book club on the whole: My biggest, personal, wants going forward (assuming Mystery/Thriller wins for May) are a month for Fantasy (which doesn't seem all that popular here) and a month for Science Fiction. I like the idea of having a Modern Fiction month as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
And you often don't know what category some of those books belong in until you've read them since a lot of publishers lump the two together.
You can usually tell based on the description and other factors. Heck, I was able to tell that Cloud Atlas was not science fiction without having read it and I was correct.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
A general NonFiction category would be okay, but I think people like narrowing down their choices somewhat and "NonFiction" by itself is a big category.

As to the book club on the whole: My biggest, personal, wants going forward (assuming Mystery/Thriller wins for May) are a month for Fantasy (which doesn't seem all that popular here) and a month for Science Fiction. I like the idea of having a Modern Fiction month as well.
Modern Literature where the latest Harlequin romance wins and we all suffer.

But to be serious, I do like the idea of modern literature. We have too many cases where we get old books that are obsolete or hard to read or just not a good read and any other number of issues. People don't always pick the best book when something free is available even if that free one is the worst of the bunch. Take December's Ethan Frome. The worst and yet it won because it was short and free.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-08-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #42
Nyssa
Series Addict

49 minutes left to vote!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict

And its Mystery/Thriller for the win!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
What happened to April in 2012? There doesn't seem to be a category. At least the month isn't listed in your posting WTSharpe.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #45
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
What happened to April in 2012? There doesn't seem to be a category. At least the month isn't listed in your posting WTSharpe.
It was Humor. He accidentally typed May twice.