Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
anzacman
anzacman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thumbs up setting time on Kindle

I have a Kindle but I note that the time settings are not current to my time zone, can this be reset to coincide with my area. Any help appreciated.
anzacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
It does it automatically over Whispernet. After I reset the Kindle I sometimes get confused by my books starting to sort all wrong, but turning Whispernet on again so the clock can reset fixes the problem.

That said, there have been times when it took ages for it to finally get around to changing the clock, even with Whispernet on for over a day...
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Make sure whispernet is on and wait for a day as Snorkledorf said. If you still got the wrong time you can try to change which network it connects to and then wait again. May or may not work since not all networks send out the time(zone).
Those are the only official way to set the time.
There is probably another way if you know your way in an Linux system: Install SSHD, connect to it from a computer and then set the time as you would on any linux system. I have not verified this but think it would work.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by anzacman View Post
I have a Kindle but I note that the time settings are not current to my time zone, can this be reset to coincide with my area. Any help appreciated.
If Whispernet isn't available (no reception, outside US with US-only Kindle, ...): USB-Network hack and manually setting date/time.
Perfectly explained in the USB-Network sticky.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
jerome
Enthusiast
jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jerome has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Entourage Edge, Dell Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
If Whispernet isn't available (no reception, outside US with US-only Kindle, ...): USB-Network hack and manually setting date/time.
actually, you could just enable wireless connection for a couple of minutes. Kindle (firmware ver. 2.3) will retrieve information from available wireless networks and set the time to the local area accordingly.

you could check if there's wireless information by going to setting page and type 611 (US version) or 311 (Global version).
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Dharmabum
Enthusiast
Dharmabum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paper White
Quote:
Not seeing any sticky that fits that description.
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmabum View Post
Not seeing any sticky that fits that description.
Sorry, in the developer's corner - and not a sticky: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49350
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome View Post
actually, you could just enable wireless connection for a couple of minutes. Kindle (firmware ver. 2.3) will retrieve information from available wireless networks and set the time to the local area accordingly.
Only true for some parts of the world. I happen to live in one part where the network does not supply time.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Dharmabum
Enthusiast
Dharmabum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paper White
Quote:
Sorry, in the developer's corner - and not a sticky: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49350
Thank you.
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Make sure whispernet is on and wait for a day as Snorkledorf said. If you still got the wrong time you can try to change which network it connects to and then wait again
Good point; sometimes switching wireless networks has helped when my clock wouldn't update. Forgot to mention I'd tried that.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote