Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What is it that makes us human?

Not even sure what I ask... I've been watching Blade Runner again. Anyway, to ask the question; why do you think you're human? How well does that argument hold up? And if not, what *do* you think you are?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Deleted because Friday never comes in the Conservatory.

No cannibalism allowed.

Last edited by DixieGal; 04-24-2009 at 04:38 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well... That's an argument, I s'pose...
Old 04-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Well... That's an argument, I s'pose...
Defining humanity based on taste? Oh well, theres no discussing taste.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Defining humanity based on taste? Oh well, theres no discussing taste.
Nooo... but we can still discuss differences of taste
Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Humanity is, first defined by genetics. 99% of everyone's genes are identical. So that's a place to start.

Next, is the cognition approach. We think and are sentient, therefore we get to define ourselves as human.

Then, there is the humor definition. By laughing, we are showing ourselves to be human. Just some thoughts.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Humanity is, first defined by genetics. 99% of everyone's genes are identical. So that's a place to start.

Next, is the cognition approach. We think and are sentient, therefore we get to define ourselves as human.

Then, there is the humor definition. By laughing, we are showing ourselves to be human. Just some thoughts.

Maybe so, but each of your arguments applies also to chimps. I think I read that we share 97% DNA with them. They have the ability to make tools and wage war, so that shows intelligence. And they certainly laugh, showing much more gruesome teeth than even your current avator shows.

How about the ability to plan ahead? Or romantic love?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Maybe so, but each of your arguments applies also to chimps. I think I read that we share 97% DNA with them. They have the ability to make tools and wage war, so that shows intelligence. And they certainly laugh, showing much more gruesome teeth than even your current avator shows.

How about the ability to plan ahead? Or romantic love?
But only 97%, not 99%, which is why I started there. Chimpanzees display the ability to pair bond, and definitely plan ahead.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Ea
Wizard

As far as I understand (I'll find the refs if you need them) chimpanzees do have the ability to plan ahead - but do they know why it is important and meaningful? (to some humans? And why IS IT is feels so nice to able to plan ahaed? (it feels nice to me)
Old 04-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!

How about religion being the defining characteristic?

Drats, it's time to go home now. Where is EA? He opened up this can of worms then vanished. EA, what's your thoughts here? (never mind, I was too slow)
Old 04-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard

Ea is me?? I assume - and I'm she!

Sorry, but I'll be going to bed soon, livin' in Europe an' all it's bedtime here for me.

Anyway I consider a religion an overall superficial characteristic of who you are. THere is more to who you are than your religion. OR yor religion define more than I expect
Old 04-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
tirsales
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please - no considerations how equal two sets of genes are. All those comparisons I have read so far are BS (e.g. we have no complete high-quality assembly of either of those primates ...)

I dont think religion could be any mark for "human" - I am an atheist. Perhaps the ability to try to define "whats a human" is a human thing - most other animals simply recognize their spezies
Old 04-24-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard

I think we want to know: why do we think we think? What makes us conscious?

And why is that important?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Fascinating question!

I'd suggest reading "The Human Story" by Robin Dunbar -- unfortunately it's not available electronically as far as I know. One (of several) areas it touches on, that perhaps others more versed in the area can expand on, is the theory of mind or the levels of intentionality. E.g. I think is one level, I think you think, are two levels, I think you think I think are three levels and so on.

One of the fascinating, or perhaps worrying, aspects of this approach is that it then begs the question are infants humans, and the entire set of debates related to that and other similar issues.

In fact, there are very few definitions which don't, at least to some extent, identify some individuals as not human. To somewhat mis-use DixieGal's suggestion (with apologies) that humanity is defined by religion, does that mean that Richard Dawkins is not human?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #15
tirsales

Well - crows for example do think "what do you think" (or at least they can extrapolate what other crows know. E.g. let them hide something to eat while another crow watches. Then remove this other crow - they will search another depot if (and only if) they believe the other crow watched them).
Its very difficult to define a difference between humans and other animals based on cognitive features - we simply dont know enough 'bout their cognitive features and some animals have quite a lot of them.