Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
Exclamation iBooks iTunes Sync Issue need to save Highlights/ Annotations ?

iBooks iTunes Sync Issue need to save Highlights/ Annotations ?

I just checked (enabled) the Sync Books in iTunes. I get this message.

iTunes Sync Message:
Quote:
Are you sure you want to sync books? All existing songs, movies and TV shows on the iPad 1 will be removed.
Now, I do not have any movies and songs on this iPad as yet.

I do have a bunch of my own non DRM - Epub and PDF books on it. I can't remember how I added the books to it.

Maybe it was via iTunes sync with a different Apple ID etc.

I do have the same Books also present in the iBooks library.

Now what I want to REALLY REALLY save the HIGHLIGHTs I've made on some books. I dont want to lose them in this Sync related WIPE OUT.

I dont' mind even going into the Jailbroken iPad and the hidden iBooks folders with iFunbox/ iExplorer and manuall backing up certain Files/ Folders.

I am just not sure how and where the Highlights are kept on the iOS File System. I have run across some iBooks/ Library folders but do not know for sure where and how the RIGHT STUFF is backed up.

Maybe after a synch I could put back some of the highlight/ annorate files?

Thoughts?
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Crashnburn, I have no direct solution for your concern, but some excellent advice for you:

Just stay away from iBooks if you're serious about reading e-books or PDF files. iBooks is simply mediocre software for reading EPUB books, and mediocre software for reading and especially annotating PDF files. In fact, I find iBooks not just mediocre, but unusable for me (for serious use).

Do yourself a favour and invest a few bucks to buy the best PDF app for iOS, which is GoodReader. It's superb especially for annotation purposes.

I also like and use PDF Expert -- it looks much nicer and more polished than GoodReader, seems faster, and offers a true Night Mode. However, the iPhone version of PDF Expert is completely inferior, which is the main thing that prevents me from switching from GoodReader to PDF Expert, because just like you, I need reliable syncing and backup of annotations, which is exactly what GoodReader does so well.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Crashnburn, I have no direct solution for your concern, but some excellent advice for you:

Just stay away from iBooks if you're serious about reading e-books or PDF files. iBooks is simply mediocre software for reading EPUB books, and mediocre software for reading and especially annotating PDF files. In fact, I find iBooks not just mediocre, but unusable for me (for serious use).

Do yourself a favour and invest a few bucks to buy the best PDF app for iOS, which is GoodReader. It's superb especially for annotation purposes.

I also like and use PDF Expert -- it looks much nicer and more polished than GoodReader, seems faster, and offers a true Night Mode. However, the iPhone version of PDF Expert is completely inferior, which is the main thing that prevents me from switching from GoodReader to PDF Expert, because just like you, I need reliable syncing and backup of annotations, which is exactly what GoodReader does so well.
- Will be using Marvin in the future for ePubs as discussed on that thread and

- Am already using GoodReader + SugarSync [2-way Sync] (not yet tried highlighting with it).

- Have PDF Expert - Will try it out - Apparently it wont do 2-way sync with SugarSync - Damn!

I do not really use my iPhone for any reading so far.

I just want to be able to SYNC - SAVE - BACKUP - Highlights from:

--GoodReader (PDF) to my Laptop (via SugarSync) i.e. If/ when I need it.

--Marvin (ePub) - when needed.

I am wondering why GoodReader will support 2 way sync with SugarSync (found out Google Drive wont do 2-way on GR) and with PDF Expert not possible.

Also, is there a solution that supports LOCAL NETWORK SYNC (between devices on same LAN) that you've tried?

- Only DropBox supports Local Sync (Faster over LAN as compared to thin pipe to the cloud) as compared to other cloud-drive apps.

- Windows Live Mesh (from what I read/ hear was great for lot of people) (Being decommissioned by Microsoft)

- Aero FS / Cubby ?
.. Aero FS needs an INVITE to register. Anyone got one?
.. Will try out Cubby sometime.

.. Any WebDAV Solutions.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
- Am already using GoodReader + SugarSync [2-way Sync] (not yet tried highlighting with it).
I don't recommend that! iCloud syncing in GoodReader works much better and faster than either Dropbox or SugarSync in my experience, crashnburn.

Just put all of your books in GoodReader into the iCloud folder, and I think you might be amazed by how fast and smooth the syncing (including syncing of annotations) will be.

Quote:
- Have PDF Expert - Will try it out - Apparently it wont do 2-way sync with SugarSync - Damn!
PDF Expert just looks better than GoodReader's cluttered interface -- but in terms of functionality, GoodReader is the clear winner.

Quote:
I do not really use my iPhone for any reading so far.
I use the iPhone for reading minimally as well -- however, it's very nice to know that whatever annotation I make in GoodReader on the iPhone, will automatically (thanks to iCloud syncing) show up on both of my iPads, the next time I launch GoodReader on them.

Quote:
I just want to be able to SYNC - SAVE - BACKUP - Highlights from:

--GoodReader (PDF) to my Laptop (via SugarSync) i.e. If/ when I need it.
There are several ways of exporting annotations from GoodReader, if you feel you need that additional backup (in addition to iCloud).

Quote:
--Marvin (ePub) - when needed.
Backing up (and restoring!) annotations from Marvin via email works like a charm -- it's one of Marvin's strongest features.

Quote:
Also, is there a solution that supports LOCAL NETWORK SYNC (between devices on same LAN) that you've tried?
I don't know, but I'm not really interested in LAN syncing -- because iCloud, Dropbox and SugarSync all work so fast for me over the Internet that the difference to LAN syncing, to me (when it comes to books, not HD movies!), would be negligible.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
crashnburn
Groupie

Is there a certain iPad Stylus you use/ recommend (please not expensive) for Highlights/ Annotates? Or just your fingers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I don't recommend that! iCloud syncing in GoodReader works much better and faster than either Dropbox or SugarSync in my experience, crashnburn.

Just put all of your books in GoodReader into the iCloud folder, and I think you might be amazed by how fast and smooth the syncing (including syncing of annotations) will be.
Would that allow me to Sync with my Windows 7 laptop?

My SYNC and Information workflow has 2 main components -
- Laptop - Download, Organize Books, Write - Documents etc.
- iPad
- Read, Highlight, Annotate > Be able to copy/ move these annotations to the Laptop, somehow.
- Preferably they are visible AS IS from iPad to Windows / Desktop Program.

Quote:
PDF Expert just looks better than GoodReader's cluttered interface -- but in terms of functionality, GoodReader is the clear winner.
Good point to know. Thanks.

Quote:
I use the iPhone for reading minimally as well -- however, it's very nice to know that whatever annotation I make in GoodReader on the iPhone, will automatically (thanks to iCloud syncing) show up on both of my iPads, the next time I launch GoodReader on them.
Good to know that your part of Europe has Flawless Internet Access

Quote:
There are several ways of exporting annotations from GoodReader, if you feel you need that additional backup (in addition to iCloud).
Please elaborate on that those ways/ means of exporting as I need to take them out of the "Good Reader" Sandbox.

The reason why I highlight and annotate is so that I can use parts on my laptop when I need/ want them. Especially to refer to them, when writing documents based on the book/ whitepaper.

Key question? - Does Good Reader..
- Store Annotations/ Highlights as an Independent Layer/ File or
- MERGES them into the Original File
(Or allows both).

Quote:
Backing up (and restoring!) annotations from Marvin via email works like a charm -- it's one of Marvin's strongest features.
I will have to check this out.

Last edited by crashnburn; 03-29-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
crashnburn
Groupie

ALSO is there anyway for me to save/ backup and restore my Highlights already present in my iBooks.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

Quote:
ALSO is there any way for me to save/ backup and restore my Highlights already present in my iBooks.
Don't know because as soon as I saw iBooks for the first time, it was obvious to me this wasn't a serious app for reading either EPUBs or PDFs, so I threw it away. The best for you, I'd say, would be to cut your losses asap and ditch iBooks for good.

Quote:
Is there a certain iPad Stylus you use/ recommend (please not expensive) for Highlights/ Annotates? Or just your fingers?
Nope, no stylus here. Steve Jobs was correct in saying that people have 10 styluses on their own hands, so why should we need an artificial one? Making highlights and annotations with fingers works perfectly both in Marvin for EPUBs, and in GoodReader for PDFs.

Quote:
Would that allow me to Sync with my Windows 7 laptop?
Of course...

Quote:
- iPad
- Read, Highlight, Annotate > Be able to copy/ move these annotations to the Laptop, somehow.
Yes, very easy to do from both Marvin and GoodReader.

Quote:
- Preferably they are visible AS IS from iPad to Windows / Desktop Program.
Yes, definitely, GoodReader allows you to do that with a single tap of your finger.

Quote:
Key question? - Does Good Reader..
- Store Annotations/ Highlights as an Independent Layer/ File or
- MERGES them into the Original File
(Or allows both).
Yes, GoodReader gives you both of those options, and adds a third (email summary of annotations).

Quote:
I will have to check this out.
Definitely! You can't miss with GoodReader -- it's the premier PDF app on iOS, so you can just go ahead and buy it. I think its AppStore reviews speak for themselves.

GoodReader has what some perceive as an inelegant or cluttered interface, but other than that, it's fabulous. Please note that the entire interface of GoodReader completely disappears as soon as you open a PDF file -- which is, in fact, one of its nicest features. You really feel as if you were holding the original book or sheet of paper in your hands -- GoodReader gets out of the way and lets you focus on the PDF file only.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
crashnburn
Groupie

Thanks for your response. I will try all this out and post my experiences/ feedback.