Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What should our May category be?
Mystery/Thriller 18 62.07%
Philosophy 10 34.48%
Modern Lit. 12 41.38%
Award Winners 10 34.48%
Biography/Memoirs 13 44.83%
Fantasy 11 37.93%
Indie 4 13.79%
MobileRead Authors 9 31.03%
Science Fiction 13 44.83%
Young Adult 8 27.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Since we're all putting in our 2 cents worth....

I think Biography/Memoirs would be the only NonFiction category I would support, personally. I just don't want it to be right after Classics month. In fact, I would suggest it for August.

I would love to have a fun category in the summer (June and/or July) and a fun category in December which for me would be Fantasy (in July or December) and/or Science Fiction (in June or July).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, I think the category should be Biography/Autobiography. If that ever wins, then I'm going to nominate Steve Jobs until it wins.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just realized we have a problem with this poll and it needs to be addressed. Mystery & Thriller are not the same thing. They cannot go together. Just like science fiction & fantasy cannot go together. Two separate categories and we've not yet had the vote to allow tow different categories to be combined.

I have to say, that this poll is invalid due to mystery/thriller which is invalid because they are different. I've read thrillers that are not mysteries and mysteries that are not thrillers. So they cannot go together as they are different.

I dare anyone to prove they are the same. You cannot because they are not. Sure, there can be some overlap, but as for being the same, no way.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just realized we have a problem with this poll and it needs to be addressed. Mystery & Thriller are not the same thing. They cannot go together. Just like science fiction & fantasy cannot go together. Two separate categories and we've not yet had the vote to allow tow different categories to be combined.

I have to say, that this poll is invalid due to mystery/thriller which is invalid because they are different. I've read thrillers that are not mysteries and mysteries that are not thrillers. So they cannot go together as they are different.
You could just nominate a book that falls into either category. They are generally in the same ball-park, anyway.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
You could just nominate a book that falls into either category. They are generally in the same ball-park, anyway.
I can easily find a book that is so far into one category that the other is not even in site with a Hubble telescope. So no, they are not in the same ballpark. They can be very far apart. Take cozy mysteries for example. They are very very far away from thrillers.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Mystery and Thriller are not the same. That isn't to say that we can't have a month for nominating a book that could fit in one of the two categories.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Mystery and Thriller are not the same. That isn't to say that we can't have a month for nominating a book that could fit in one of the two categories.
But, before we can have Mystery & Thriller, we'll need to have the vote to allow (or not) combining two different categories. Basically, this poll should be terminated until the issue of combining different categories is sorted.

Every other issue got a vote. So this issue should as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Really? Declaring a category that's winning invalid because the ones you like are losing? So predictable.

The genres are very, very similar and there is plenty of overlap. Plus it eliminates the bickering about whether or not the book is a mystery or thriller or crime or suspense or whatever, all are welcome to be nominated.

Mostly I nominated the two together in order to make room for other categories to be chosen for 2013. I like broad categories, let the nominations sort out the books people want.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's certainly more overlap between mystery and thriller than there is between sci-fi and fantasy.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
But, before we can have Mystery & Thriller, we'll need to have the vote to allow (or not) combining two different categories. Basically, this poll should be terminated until the issue of combining different categories is sorted.

I completely agree that Mystery and Thriller are not the same genre, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a compound category for a month. It was suggested, people seemed to like the concept. If one didn't they would not vote for it. You voted for it, you obviously didn't have any issue with a compound category at that point.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:

We've having a vote on it. Someone nominated the combined category, and so far, the majority of the votes are in favor of it. No one nominated either mystery or thriller as a second category.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Really? Declaring a category that's winning invalid because the ones you like are losing? So predictable.

The genres are very, very similar and there is plenty of overlap. Plus it eliminates the bickering about whether or not the book is a mystery or thriller or crime or suspense or whatever, all are welcome to be nominated.

Mostly I nominated the two together in order to make room for other categories to be chosen for 2013. I like broad categories, let the nominations sort out the books people want.
Actually, I did vote for mystery/thriller before realizing it's an invalid category.

We had this discussion for science fiction and fantasy. It was said that they are two different genres with some overlap. That's how mystery and thriller are (different with some overlap).

So if mystery/thriller wins, then we'll only be able to nominate books that overlap because if you go for say a cozy mystery, then thriller will be left out completely.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-08-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I agree that myster/thriller are two categories. But I'm all for the idea of combining categories especially when books can hard to place in a category. Combining categories sort of opens up for "hard to place" books.
And the category was nominated, seconded and third.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I agree that myster/thriller are two categories. But I'm all for the idea of combining categories especially when books can hard to place in a category. Combining categories sort of opens up for "hard to place" books.
And the category was nominated, seconded and third.
That problem is easy to solve. Is the book more mystery then thriller? If yes, it belongs in mystery. Is it more thriller then mystery? If yes, then it belongs in thriller. Is there an equal enough overlap? If yes, then it belongs in either.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #30
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, it was still nominated, seconded and thirded and it seems to winning.
So far you're the only one that seems to have a problem with it.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote