Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
linesma
linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle eInk
Question Upgrade question (Kindle 2 to 4)

I am looking to update/ upgrade my Kindle 2 to the Kindle 4, and I have a couple of questions about it.

1. I organized all of my books into categories, and I do not want that work to go to waste. Will I have to recreate my categories on the Kindle 4? Can they also be displayed in alphabetical order?

2. How obtrusive are the adds? I leaning towards going with the non-adds Kindle, but if the adds are non-obtrusive, then I may be willing to go with the cheaper product. I see enough adds on a daily basis on the web and TV, that it was nice to have something in the house without them.

Finally, if there are any suggestions that I should do before I upgrade, please let me know.

Thanks for the time and help.
linesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by linesma View Post
2. How obtrusive are the adds? I leaning towards going with the non-adds Kindle, but if the adds are non-obtrusive, then I may be willing to go with the cheaper product. I see enough adds on a daily basis on the web and TV, that it was nice to have something in the house without them.
The ads are only present:

1. As the screen saver, when the Kindle is turned off.
2. As a half-inch strip at the bottom of the "Home" screen.

I find them completely non-intrusive. You certainly see no ads while you're reading a book. And, if you buy the ad-supported version, you have the option of removing the ads at any time by paying the difference in the price of the two models.

There's really no reason not to get the ad-supported model.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
linesma
linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.linesma can eat soup with a fork.

Thanks HarryT for the reply. You have given me something to think about.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Not yet mentioned is the better contrast (so I've been told), on the Kindle 4.

Let me explain: I have a Kindle 2 and 3, and the 3's screen is a world of difference in clarity.

While I don't yet own a Kindle 4, my understanding is that the screen is just as good as the Kindle 3.

So, for the screen alone - and with the explanation I've given above - I would say go with the Kindle 4.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
linesma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Not yet mentioned is the better contrast (so I've been told), on the Kindle 4.

Let me explain: I have a Kindle 2 and 3, and the 3's screen is a world of difference in clarity.

While I don't yet own a Kindle 4, my understanding is that the screen is just as good as the Kindle 3.

So, for the screen alone - and with the explanation I've given above - I would say go with the Kindle 4.

Don
Thank you for the reply and information. The screen resolution is one of the reasons why I am looking to upgrade. The other is battery life. My Kindle 2 with 3g off is only lasting about a week now in between charges. I am concerned about the categories. I am kind of picky about how my data, whether it be on a computer, cell phone, or a Kindle, is organized.

Thanks again for the reply. I really appreciate it!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
I am concerned about the categories. I am kind of picky about how my data, whether it be on a computer, cell phone, or a Kindle, is organized.
How many books do you have on your kindle? If you are willing to spend a little time learning calibre it would allow you to copy all the books from your old kindle to your computer, import all your collections after creating a custom column for that, fix any metadata (titles or author names), and then load all your books on your new kindle and run the collections plug in to put all the books into the collections you want on your kindle.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
linesma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
How many books do you have on your kindle? If you are willing to spend a little time learning calibre it would allow you to copy all the books from your old kindle to your computer, import all your collections after creating a custom column for that, fix any metadata (titles or author names), and then load all your books on your new kindle and run the collections plug in to put all the books into the collections you want on your kindle.
Thanks Synamon for the information. I did not know you could do that with Calibre. I use it to organize all my books before I put them onto my Kindle. I have never synced my Kindle with Calibre before. I have always just used Windows Explorer to copy the books to the Kindle. To answer your first question, I have almost 600 books broken down by categories that are named after the author. I have had a Kindle since they first were released, and I read allot.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
As long as you have synced your Kindle to Amazon, your collections will be available to any Kindle on your account. When you download your books, they should go into the correct collection.

You will have to download your books one at a time. There is no way to do a mass download.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Upgrade question (Kindle 2 to 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Quote:
Thanks Synamon for the information. I did not know you could do that with Calibre. I use it to organize all my books before I put them onto my Kindle. I have never synced my Kindle with Calibre before. I have always just used Windows Explorer to copy the books to the Kindle. To answer your first question, I have almost 600 books broken down by categories that are named after the author. I have had a Kindle since they first were released, and I read allot.

Thanks again.
Don't forget about the DRM factor! If the books on the K2 are contaminated with DRM (as a huge percentage of Amazon eBooks are) then copying them to the K4 from the K2 (using Calibre or ny any other method) will work, but they will not be readable on the K4.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
linesma

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Don't forget about the DRM factor! If the books on the K2 are contaminated with DRM (as a huge percentage of Amazon eBooks are) then copying them to the K4 from the K2 (using Calibre or ny any other method) will work, but they will not be readable on the K4.
Something else to think about. Thanks for the information! I am going to have to look into that.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
linesma

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
As long as you have synced your Kindle to Amazon, your collections will be available to any Kindle on your account. When you download your books, they should go into the correct collection.

You will have to download your books one at a time. There is no way to do a mass download.
Thank you for the reply. Very rarely have I turned on the 3g. I will make sure that I do it and run a sync before I purchase / activate a new one.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Upgrade question (Kindle 2 to 4)

Quote:
Something else to think about. Thanks for the information! I am going to have to look into that.

Thanks again.
You're welcome.

The DRMs are keyed to each individual device, so it'd be necessary to re-download each DRMed eBook to the new device unless you were to strip the eBooks you already have of their DRMs (google Apprentice Alf for info on that as discussion on that subject is forbidden here).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I wanted to see what the ads looked like so I opted in on my Amazon account just to see them on my K3. I kept them awhile before opting back out. I am not sure if you are able to do this with a K2 or not. I do know for sure that if you buy a Kindle with ads and later decide you don't like it, you can pay the extra to have the ability to remove them.

As far as the transfer goes, Calibre would be my answer to that. Once your books are liberated from DRM, just use the Kindle Collections plug-in for Calibre to load your old collections onto your new K4.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Oops, in my earlier summary of using calibre to transfer books I omitted the step of adding Alf's tools to calibre so that DRM won't trip you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I wanted to see what the ads looked like so I opted in on my Amazon account just to see them on my K3. I kept them awhile before opting back out. I am not sure if you are able to do this with a K2 or not.
No, that option is only available for K3 and up registered in the US.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
As far as contrast goes take a look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152579
I have a Kindle 3 and the Kindle 4 did not measure up in screen quality. A lot of different opinions there, but I'm on my second K4 and on the fence as to whether or not I keep it, all based on the screen.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote