Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #7846
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderperson1 View Post
If you like this book you will want to read "Packing for Mars" by Mary Roach. Sounds similar. Behinds the scenes look at training and experience. Who gets selected per psychological tests, etc. I'm only on the third chapter and can't put it down.
And of course the classic The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #7847
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
If you like this book you will want to read "Packing for Mars" by Mary Roach. Sounds similar. Behinds the scenes look at training and experience. Who gets selected per psychological tests, etc. I'm only on the third chapter and can't put it down.
KUCI's "Writers on Writing" podcast archive contains an interview with her about the book. I've not read anything of hers yet, but I think I'd prefer "Spook" instead.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #7848
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Wait till you get to the part where she explains the working of and training for using the space toilet!

"See the funny puppet? Watch his mouth. What's he saying? He's saying 'Oooo-aaaah-oooo'."
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #7849
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished my fifth book of the year today: The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern, the second in the Cat Who series, by Lilian Jackson Braun. It's a reread, I've read it about 15 years ago I think. Clearly back then I read the series not in the right order because in my recollection Yum Yum is a much later addition.

Now I've started with 1st to Die by James Patterson, the first in the Women's Murder Club series. I liked the short-lived tv-series, not so sure about the first book though. It's a quick read but I am getting irritated with the extremely short chapters and constant shifting of POV.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #7850
captobvs
captobvs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd generation
Finished reading Feists' Magician: Apprentice/Master and decided to switch gears for awhile. I am now reading Dominant Species by Michael E. Marks.
captobvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #7851
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished the non-fiction semi-biographical history George, Nicholas and Wilhelm: Three Royal Cousins and the Road to World War I, by Miranda Carter.

The thesis seems to be that the breakdown of the close familial relationship between European royals of the Victorian Era is kind of paralleled by the breakdown of general European relations over the same period, expressed via the case study of three of Queen Victoria's grandsons, who just happened to be the heads of their respective empires.

It's one of those "the personal is political" things as two out of three basically insecure neurotics who were coddled in their youth and never experienced real adversity or were properly trained to handle real power and a nasty habit of firing all the actually competent people nevertheless got their hands on just enough of it to do real damage. The other was King George of England and his portions of the book might as well have been assigned to his father King Edward, who had far greater influence on the actual events that the author is trying to tie together.

But it was interesting enough for some of the personal glimpses into the characters of the three rulers and the people surrounding them. Bit of a slog in the middle, as they mostly led really amazingly boring personal lives until they suddenly got more exciting towards the end.

Mild recommend for people interested in that era or late European royalty or family feuds conducted at the distance of several countries over a number of decades.

Now as part of a concerted effort to finish library books I've had lying around way too long, on John Zakour and Lawrence Ganem's Ballistic Babes, an omnibus collection of two comic near-future sf novels starring a beset PI with a snarky AI assistant who in the first novel has to protect a retiring teen-pop starlet from death threats received from PATA (People Against Talentless Acts), all as part of a reality show.

Took me a few chapters to get into, as the setting uses a lot of faux-futuristic pop culture slang (nano for second, sharks for lawyers, etc.) and it seems to have been based on Hollywood media gone mad, but I think I'm liking it and might go have a look at the other books (these are 3rd and 4th in a series) after I'm done.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #7852
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post

Now I've started with 1st to Die by James Patterson, the first in the Women's Murder Club series. I liked the short-lived tv-series, not so sure about the first book though. It's a quick read but I am getting irritated with the extremely short chapters and constant shifting of POV.
That would be why I have never made it through a J. Patterson book. My mom, OTOH LOVES those books because of the short chapters and different POVs...

BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #7853
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Just completed Speaks the Nightbird by Robert McCammon and thought it was well written but did have a few plot holes maybe as a result of some aggressive editing to keep it under 800 pages. I would list them but don't know how to do the "spoiler" link.

Next will be The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis.
At the bottom of the Quick Reply box, you'll see a link that says "Go Advanced". Then, just over the new text box, you'll see an eye icon with a red "X" over the eye. Select the text you want enclosed in the spoiler tags and click on the eye icon. That should do the trick! Hope that helps!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #7854
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
At the bottom of the Quick Reply box, you'll see a link that says "Go Advanced". Then, just over the new text box, you'll see an eye icon with a red "X" over the eye. Select the text you want enclosed in the spoiler tags and click on the eye icon. That should do the trick! Hope that helps!
Is THAT what that is. I've been typing them in manually all this time.

Nice work Mr. Moderator....go ahead and take the rest of the day off, you've earned it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #7855
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Is THAT what that is. I've been typing them in manually all this time.

Nice work Mr. Moderator....go ahead and take the rest of the day off, you've earned it.
Can I take the night off from my government job?

BTW, that wasn't a Moderator post. That was just me being my normal nice self in hopes of one day calling in the favors!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #7856
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
That would be why I have never made it through a J. Patterson book. My mom, OTOH LOVES those books because of the short chapters and different POVs...

I tried reading his The Murder of King Tut but stopped after less than 100 pages because of the short chapter (often not even needed since the same POV continued in the next chapter). So I kinda knew what I was starting.

It reads fast and I do like the story in itself so I'll finish it.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #7857
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can I take the night off from my government job?

Sure, it's fine by me.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #7858
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I have read books 2 and 3 in the In Death series. I really like these books.

I then took a break and read Nyphron Rising, book 3 in the Riyria Revelations. I thought the first half was a bit slow, but the second half really was awesome. I think Arista is now one of my favourite characters in this series. Her character growth in this book was great and she really stepped up and was so kick ass by the end. I loved it.

I read a YA fantasy called The Replacement which is about a boy who was switched at birth by some type of fae like creatures. I was supposed to be dark and creepy, but I found it kind of boring.

I am now re-reading The Eye of the World, book one in the wheel of Time series. I am reading it along with a friend who reads very slowly so it will take me longer that usual to finish.

I think I am also going to start Cruel Enchantment, which is a fae PNR.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #7859
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Thank you

Spoiler:
1. Where was Rachel's testimony? Why didn't she take the stand?
2. Two circus performers managed to meet in a settlement in Carolina?
3. What ailment killed the magistrate? It couldn't have been strep throat.
4. A man untrained in combat manages to kill a bear an entire Indian tribe could not?
5. Shawcombe murders all these people and no one notices?
6. How would Rachel survive in the settlement? No food.
7. An Indian in Spanish territory speaks French?

It works!
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:45 PM   #7860
kennyc