Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #46
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, doesn't do anything on my 3g either... But then, since it's got a slightly buggy screen, it was reset to factory defaults a while back... :/

On the plus side, I updated the python packager to sign the bundle files & handle UK Kindles, so it'll be ready once a jailbreak works. .

@ecostin/anyone with a serial access: I'd like to take a look at the /usr/sbin/otaup script, see what changed...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #47
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
so it'll be ready once a jailbreak works. .
A new jailbreak. Oh, no...
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #48
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
3.0.1 has appeared on the Amazon site. No idea if they've closed this hole yet but don't upgrade until somebody can confirm.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #49
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
3.0.1 has appeared on the Amazon site. No idea if they've closed this hole yet but don't upgrade until somebody can confirm.
Thanks for the tip.
Does anybody know why there are two different K3 3G+WiFi firmwares?

What would be the difference between Serial no. prefix B00A and Serial no. prefix B006 model? I can guess it's something to do with 3G portion of the device, but why separate firmwares? Are these two that different in hardware?

Oh, there already is an answer for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Interesting that it has two different files for the two different Kindle 3G+WiFis. B006 being US store (AT&T) and B00A being UK store (Voda)

Last edited by test011; 09-08-2010 at 03:22 PM.
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #50
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by test011 View Post
Thanks for the tip.
Does anybody know why there are two different K3 3G+WiFi firmwares?

What would be the difference between Serial no. prefix B00A and Serial no. prefix B006 model? I can guess it's something to do with 3G portion of the device, but why separate firmwares? Are these two that different in hardware?
I believe it is

B006 = Kindle 3G+WiFi from the US store (AT&T)
B00A = Kindle 3G+WiFi from the UK store (Vodafone)

The difference may actually be that it is the different providers and not the store itself. Either way that is the reason for the differing serial number prefixes.

I've no idea why needs different versions though. Same with the WiFi version. I would have expected it to have 1 unified firmware which covers all 3 variants and just checks to see what it has been installed on.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #51
Tiersten
Guru

Thank Thus for the 3.01 firmware link as he/she posted it in another thread in the main Kindle forum here.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #52
0x0x
0x0x began at the beginning.

Device: k3
K3 wifi only (B008 - Version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094))
;debugOn works but ~exec does not.

Last edited by 0x0x; 09-08-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo
0x0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #53
Tiersten
Guru

All 3 firmware updates have the same update contents. The difference is because the Kindle will check to see if it is the correct device type before applying it. There is a big packaged update inside the update which also gets checked. Individual files in that have differing timestamps but the contents is the same.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:19 AM   #54
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Phew

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
On the home screen, press any keyboard key so the search box comes up. Delete the letter you pressed, then hit "sym" and pick the ";" symbol, type debugOn, press enter.

So your search box will contain the command ";debugOn" the same goes for how to enter any of the other command discussed here, although it is likely you will be in the same boat that all of us except ecostin seem to be in, where we can't actually have fun
Thanks. I can't get the ;debugOn to work on mine. Just wanted to know what I missed
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #55
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3, KT, KPW, KPW2, KV, KOA
Oh, lucky me, I like being unique And I was wondering why others fool around with soldering tiny wires, when this ~exec command was there...

I'll investigate further and get back with whatever I can find, logs and so on, during the next couple of days (including the stuff some of you have asked for). And yes, there is a test directory under the root of the device.
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #56
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Another interesting place to get some detailed info is the 411 page.

Go to settings menu then type 411 (otherwise known as alt-r alt-q alt-q alt-q)

Mine has some
Waveform Version V220_C013_60_WJ1901_D
OTA Current / Update Version: 525120101 / 0
System Software Version: 101-shasta0.5-052512

I did the update off amazon, so may be different from others...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #57
loki1138
loki1138 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecostin View Post

I'll investigate further and get back with whatever I can find, logs and so on, during the next couple of days (including the stuff some of you have asked for). And yes, there is a test directory under the root of the device.
Does anyone know if there is similar behavior (subfolders for dev functionality) for other linux devices (android ect)?
loki1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #58
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki1138 View Post
Does anyone know if there is similar behavior (subfolders for dev functionality) for other linux devices (android ect)?
Thats an extremely vague and wide ranging question. Sure. There are devices out there which have developer mode activated by adding special files to it. Some need you to have a special firmware. Others will need you to have special hardware.

This backdoor is specific to the Kindle so looking at other devices won't help.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #59
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3, KT, KPW, KPW2, KV, KOA
Some more info

Upon startup, the K3 software is initialized by a script located at: /opt/amazon/ebook/bin/start.sh Somewhere in there, there's a variable declared for the test libraries: testlibdir=/test/ebook/lib

if [ -d "$testlibdir" ]; then
for i in "$testlibdir"/*.jar; do
clazzpath="$clazzpath":"$i"

In the said directory, there is a jar (testtools.jar) class which implements the function responsible for the ~exec command (com.amazon.ebook.d.a.a(String a, StringBuffer a, StringBuffer a)). So, if the /test directory is missing, there will be no ~exec command (the search function will return -2 with no output).

In order to check for the presence of the /test directory, run:
;debugOn
;dumpMessagesAll

Look in the logs for someting like:
100910:135140 system: I S91testd:def:starting testd test server
100910:121307 testd[3177]: W testd:log::Unable to open /mnt/base-us/testresults

Please drop a reply if you find any reference to "testd" - this would indicate that you have the /test directory.

Also, in the same logs, check for someting like:
100910:135143 root: -Xmx20m -Xgc:youngGen=3m -Dsun.awt.exception.handler=com.amazon.ebook.framew ork.impl.device.event.EventDispatchThreadException Handler -Xbootclasspath/a:/usr/java/lib/localedata.jar:/usr/java/lib/charsets.jar -Dsun.boot.library.path=/usr/java/lib -cp :/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/JFEP-0.1.0.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/KindleDeviceServicesAbstraction-1.0.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook
:/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/Search.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/XymlBooklet.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/msp.jar:/test/ebook/lib/junit.jar:/test/ebook/lib/test-TestBooklet.jar:/test/ebook/lib/testtools.jar:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/portability-impl.jar -Ddebug=1 -Dc

If you see in the classpath the "/test/ebook/lib/testtools.jar", then you have the ~exec command.

If both testd and testtools.jar are present, then it should work ... or I'm wrong

Another way to check for testd:
Check the Kindle USB drive (/mnt/us) for a directory called "system" - it should contain a file named "test_client.conf" if the testd daemon is started (it creates this file upon startup).
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #60
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Hmm, I'm really interested in those files. Did you get my PM?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote