Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Kratos
Connoisseur
Kratos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, iPad, PC
Smile How do I add a table of contents when using mobipocket creator?

Hi everybody it's my first time here. I'm a complete beginner so I really hope somebody can help!

I have a Word document which I am using Mobipocket creator to convert to a prc so that I can upload to Amazon Kindle store. I also have a Kindle to test it on. I don't know any html.

I have manually added hyperlinks from the table of contents to each of the chapters. When I convert the file and transfer it to my Kindle the 'Go to ToC' is grayed out. I would like it to work! Everything else is fine.

I've seen there is a table of contents wizard but the instructions are confusing. I've also tried removing the hyperlinks and putting a 'title' heading on each chapter title but this doesn't create a ToC. I'm now reading something about 3 levels of headers?

Can somebody please give us a hand with the ToC because then I could be finished!

Thank you

Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Create a "Table of Contents" page in your book, containing hyperlinks to each of your chapters. At the start of the page, add an anchor with a name. This will be the point in the book that is jumped to when the table of contents is chosen:

Code:
<a name="toc"></a>
(It doesn't matter what you call it, but "toc" is convenient.)

Now, open your OPF file in MobiPocket Creator, click the "Guide" tab, and enter a line like this:

Title: Table of Contents
Type: toc
Filename: book.html#toc

where the last entry is the name of your book file, of course.

Don't forget to click the "Update" button at the bottom of the page.

Now, build your book, and you will (hopefully!) have a working table of contents link.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
Kratos
Connoisseur

Hi Harry thanks for getting back to me.

I'm still a bit confused so if you have the time I'd really appreciate some baby steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Create a "Table of Contents" page in your book, containing hyperlinks to each of your chapters. At the start of the page, add an anchor with a name. This will be the point in the book that is jumped to when the table of contents is chosen
I have a table of contents page with hyperlinks to each chapter. I have a bookmark in the top left corner that is called toc which I added using the standard Word insert bookmark feature (but was grayed out after conversion).
Should I add a different anchor and where and how do I add the code you listed?

Quote:
Now, open your OPF file in MobiPocket Creator, click the "Guide" tab, and enter a line like this:

At this stage I just have my standard Word file. When I did convert it with mobipocket creator I got the prc, html and opf and xml files folder. But the opf is only 1kb in size. When I click it opens a 'Edit file items' box, but there is no guide tab.

So once I've added that anchor code in the Word file how do i proceed?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Create a "Table of Contents" page in your book, containing hyperlinks to each of your chapters. At the start of the page, add an anchor with a name. This will be the point in the book that is jumped to when the table of contents is chosen:

Code:
<a name="toc"></a>
(It doesn't matter what you call it, but "toc" is convenient.)

where the last entry is the name of your book file, of course.

Don't forget to click the "Update" button at the bottom of the page.

Now, build your book, and you will (hopefully!) have a working table of contents link.
Except, if you're running IE-9, at least the beta version, it won't work. A conflict somewhere. I had to uninstall it and revert to IE-8.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Hi Kratos

After doing the initial conversion from MS Word using Mobipocket Creator, click on "Guide" in the menu on the left of the MPC window.
If there are no guide items listed with type "TOC", click on the "New Guide Item" button.
In the "Type" box, select "toc" from the drop-down list - the "Title" box should then be autofilled with "Table of Contents".
Now click on the "Browse" button next to the "Filename" box. You want to find the HTML file that MPC has created for this e-book. Select that and click "Open" so the name of that HTML file is now displayed in the "Filename" box.
Click inside that box and move the cursor to the end of that filename (after the "L" of "HTML").
Now type a hash (#) followed by the name of the bookmark you inserted at the start of the table of contents.
And finally click on the "Create" or "Update" button to add that guide item, and then rebuild the ebook.

Now when you view it using Kindle Previewer or on an actual Kindle, the "Table of Contents" item in the "Go To..." menu should be active, and should take you to the table of contents you created.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Kratos
Connoisseur

Hi Donna, thanks so much for getting back to me. I've realised that the reason I couldn't find the 'Guide' button was because I had the home version of MBCreator installed, so i removed it and reinstalled the publisher edition.

I've followed your instructions up to the point where I click update, but then I get a Javascript error.

Mobipocket Creator Publisher v 4.2 build 41

Microsoft Internet Explorer
4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)RC

Line: 149
Character: 3
Code: 0
Url: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mobipocket.com/Mobipocket%20Creator/rsrc/html/guide.html

Any idea what I can do about this?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #7
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
Hi Donna, thanks so much for getting back to me. I've realised that the reason I couldn't find the 'Guide' button was because I had the home version of MBCreator installed, so i removed it and reinstalled the publisher edition.

I've followed your instructions up to the point where I click update, but then I get a Javascript error.

Mobipocket Creator Publisher v 4.2 build 41

Microsoft Internet Explorer
4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)RC

Line: 149
Character: 3
Code: 0
Url: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mobipocket.com/Mobipocket%20Creator/rsrc/html/guide.html

Any idea what I can do about this?

Thanks!
See my note about IE-9 above. Do you have IE-9 installed? If so, uninstall it and you'll see the above error note disappear when you click the update button. There's a conflict there somewhere. Perhaps someone at this site will be able to advise you of an alternate action, too.

Jim
Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Kratos
Connoisseur

I uninstalled IE9 by following your instructions. I tried mbp again and it worked. Thank you stretchers!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
Strether
Guru

You're welcome When you have IE-9 installed and you get that error message, you're referred to a Mobipocket forum which unfortunately doesn't appear to be active. It would be nice if someone could identify what exactly is the conflict in IE-9 and suggest a means of circumventing the problem so you could have IE-9 and use the Mobipocket Creator program as well.

I did find that if you're using Book Designer to create your book that if you use Calibre to convert to Mobi you still will get a functioning toc anyway, and for a while I was content to do it that way. But then I downloaded a 2-novel collection from Baen and formatted it in Book Designer as I usually do. One novel had 23 chapters and the second had 28 and when converted by Calibre, Calibre created a toc with 1-23 chapters of the first and 24-28 chapters of the second. I couldn't find a way around the problem, so uninstalled IE-9.

Jim
Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 AM   #10
Dellu
Dellu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Hi Kratos

After doing the initial conversion from MS Word using Mobipocket Creator, click on "Guide" in the menu on the left of the MPC window.
If there are no guide items listed with type "TOC", click on the "New Guide Item" button.
In the "Type" box, select "toc" from the drop-down list - the "Title" box should then be autofilled with "Table of Contents".
Now click on the "Browse" button next to the "Filename" box. You want to find the HTML file that MPC has created for this e-book. Select that and click "Open" so the name of that HTML file is now displayed in the "Filename" box.
Click inside that box and move the cursor to the end of that filename (after the "L" of "HTML").
Now type a hash (#) followed by the name of the bookmark you inserted at the start of the table of contents.
And finally click on the "Create" or "Update" button to add that guide item, and then rebuild the ebook.

Now when you view it using Kindle Previewer or on an actual Kindle, the "Table of Contents" item in the "Go To..." menu should be active, and should take you to the table of contents you created.
Finally, I am able to use the bookmarks of the html/word/pdf file as a Table of Contents in ebook reader. @DMSmillie, you are so amazing.
Dellu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
seonj
seonj began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am crossing my fingers and diving in. See you later.
seonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #12
AlisaC
AlisaC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC
lost toc with calibre

I just converted my book in Calibre to mobi, and the toc has the chapters listed as "unnamed." Was there something I was supposed to click to get it to say "chapter 1," etc?
AlisaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
Evelyn43
Evelyn43 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
TOC issues

I've been having the same problem but am now feeling so helpless, because I can't make sense of the advice that seems to help others.

I don't see a "guide" menu choice in the Mobi creator. What I do see is a Table of Content wizard...does anyone know how to make that work?

Since I created my document in Word, I don't know what the tags and attributes and values the TOC wizard is asking for.
Any ideas?
Evelyn43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #14
airbear65
airbear65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am having a related issue. I am using Notepad++ for the formatting and then uploading to Mobipocket. I followed DMSmillie's great instructions but I'm still getting an error after clicking update. I am using Windows 7, I have IE9 loaded but use Chrome, and I am not using Calibre.

The tag I used is <a name="toc"></a> at the top of the Table of Contents. The file name that I am trying to link in the guide is mbp_toc.html and I added #toc.

Am I missing a step? Do I have to go from Notpad++ to Calibre and then to Mobipocket?

Would appreciate any help anyone can provide.
airbear65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
As noted earlier in this thread, it seems that having IE9 installed is sufficient to cause problems, whether you use it or not. Since you are not using it, why not get rid of it? It's worth a try.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobipocket creator, table of contents, toc