Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Paperwhite clock doesn't keep right time

My KPW clock doesn't keep the right time. It's not just a different time zone, but the minutes are way off as well. I can go in to settings to correct the time, but shortly it's off again.

I don't have 3G, and tend to keep the wifi off all the time. I have installed the jbpatch and collections manager. I haven't upgraded to the most recent version yet, because I haven't been in the position to reinstall my hacks yet.

I seem to remember another thread with this issue, but I can't find it.

Is this just something I'll have to live with?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Here's the thread, at least I think this is the one you mean...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202621
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for finding that for me.

I'm not sure that thread relates, because my kindle is registered. I guess I'll just have to wait til I get home and can reinstall the hacks, and then turn on my wifi and update the kindle system.

Although the clock isn't accurate, the time ti read a chapter generally is pretty spot on.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My Kindle is registered. To correct the problem, you will need to turn on your wifi and let it sit to sync with the Amazon server. For me, just using the sync manually did not work, but after leaving it on overnight all was set right. Since I plugged it in and turned on wifi before going to bed, I'm not sure of the exact time frame it took to correct the problem, but by the morning, the time was correct. I haven't had a problem since.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have a problem with clock accuracy on a Kindle 3 as well. It skips ahead by a few minutes every week. I rarely connect to Wifi though.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
You know that something is seriously wrong with the brave new cloud world when a device can't even keep the correct time without phoning home. It's a shame.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You know that something is seriously wrong with the brave new cloud world when a device can't even keep the correct time without phoning home. It's a shame.
Actually... Most modern *computers* need to call home (aka NTP servers) regularly to keep the clocks set right. Internal clock circuits just aren't accurate enough.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Actually... Most modern *computers* need to call home (aka NTP servers) regularly to keep the clocks set right. Internal clock circuits just aren't accurate enough.
Errrm... sorry. I'm actually running a few servers, and the discrepancy (without NTP) would usually be in the order of a few seconds (minutes, at most) per year. That's an entirely different order of magnitude than the one discussed here. The Kindles seem to occasionally set their times to completely random values. Maybe BeccaPrice can provide some examples (I can't provide any right now, but I remember the dates being off by months occasionally -- and it wasn't the usual "1970/01/01" thing one might expect (and could explain)).
Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I haven't seen that amount of discrepancy on my PW, and I can tell you that my cheap consumer grade laptop looses a *lot* more than a few seconds a year without network support and I suspect that the clock circuits in Kindles are just as unreliable, but then -- what do I know..
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
ixtab
(offline)

I too haven't seen many of the other odd behaviors that some Kindles seem to expose, which are reported here.

... Fortunately, I guess (?)
Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I'll have to wait til I get home on Monday (I'm on a business trip right now). My PW doesn't have a date, and the time seems pretty random. I will turn on the wifi and leave it charging all night Sunday to Monday, and will report back in then.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
My pre wifi Sony 650 always kept perfect time so I don't see why my PW can't do the same. However until Sony bring out comparable hardware, I'll make do with no clock, it's certainly not worth connecting to Amazon for.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I keep my PW in an airplane mode.
I have registered it once and had it connected a few times at the beginning. When I started to apply various hacks I decided to keep it off-line. I do not like the idea that it can "phone home" and I do not want it to downland a firmware update automatically.

Nowadays I set the time using terminal application from KUAL.

Issue command
date 15:55
to set time to 3:55 PM

If you want to set the date as well, the string is:
[YYYY.]MM.DD-hh:mm[:ss]
or
YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm

when you finish playing in terminal simply enter command:
exit
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I just noticed that mine is at 12:49... It's 15:51 LOL... (also in airplane mode)

Time to break out the KUAL time thing too! Good call Kacir
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I checked my Kindles and I'd forgotten to change them for DST. I hate the changing time twice a year. But, since i have a clock in my bedroom and a three clocks in the kitchen, and time on my computer and a clock next to the computer, and since I wear a wristwatch I hadn't noticed the time on my Kindles was wrong. Other than the Kindles being off by one hour they were fine but I leave WiFi on. I don't think it takes power like the 3G does.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote