Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
mrsdiznee
mrsdiznee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Question Silver or Pink?

This will be my first reader. I have heard that the darker color reader is easier to read because of the contrast with the screen.

Does anyone have any suggestion or thoughts. Thank you for your help.
mrsdiznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I have the pink one but looked at the other colors too for quite a while. I don't find any difference in the text contrast at all. Go with whichever color you prefer. The pink isn't really pink by the way. It's officially called rose and that's a better description than pink.

To my eyes, depending on the light and the angle you're looking at it from, it's a magenta/purple. I like it very much, certainly more than the silver or blue but it's not a girly pink if that's what you're looking for. The paper ads seem to brighten the pink up more than the unit actually is but it's still very nice.

Do you have a Sony store near you where you can see all three of them firsthand? You'll get a better idea if you're able to see it in person. I think that if anything, it would be one of those optical illusions but really, there's no difference in the text or contrast between the silver, blue or pink.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
My sister has the pink, it's really cute.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
If you can view them in person at the Sony Style Store or even Best Buy, I would before you decide, that pink is pretty loud! My wife got it and returned it for a Navy/black/blue/purple (what ever color it actually is) and took my silver reader! I think the folks at Sony are color blind...
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Silver or pink?

My girlfriend and I have a silver PRS-300 and a pink one, guess who owns which See the attached picture, I can see no difference in contrast. So my advise would be to go with the color you like.

Regards, Daryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	45226  
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I have seen the touch in silver and black side by side at the store and I didn't have the feeling that there was any difference. I heard though, that some people perceive a better contrast of the text when having a dark frame. This is why I checked the different color options before I went out to buy a new one.

I like the silver one pretty much, because the contrast to the display isn't so harsh. For me, this improves the "Book-feeling". The black one just seemed a little more like a picture frame displaying text.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I like the silver one pretty much, because the contrast to the display isn't so harsh. For me, this improves the "Book-feeling". The black one just seemed a little more like a picture frame displaying text.
I'm fond of the silver Readers. My 600 was silver. Wish the 900 came in silver; it does resemble a picture frame. Even with the integrated black cover, I believe the silver frame would look great.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Hi Scion. I just wanted to give you some more karma but I couldn't because you were the last person I gave karma to ;-)
But I just loved your comment.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Hi Scion. I just wanted to give you some more karma but I couldn't because you were the last person I gave karma to ;-)
But I just loved your comment.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdiznee View Post
This will be my first reader. I have heard that the darker color reader is easier to read because of the contrast with the screen.

Does anyone have any suggestion or thoughts. Thank you for your help.
I don't know that it's any easier to read, but I love my pink/Rose Pocket reader. I have the white Sony cover and I also have the black Sony cover with the integrated light. Looks great in both of them.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
mrsdiznee
mrsdiznee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
I want to thank everyone for all the comments. I decided on the silver. I liked what Mike_73 said about the silver contrast to the display improving the "Book-feeling". I had thought that too. Thanks again for all the great advise.
mrsdiznee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdiznee View Post
I want to thank everyone for all the comments. I decided on the silver. I liked what Mike_73 said about the silver contrast to the display improving the "Book-feeling". I had thought that too. Thanks again for all the great advise.
Great choice! Enjoy.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Mike_73
Guru

Yay, really good choice. I like it colorful, mostly if my little one makes drawings. But do you all remember back ....
...there were times where telephones were green and orange and so. I just think the silver is sooo timeless.

Have fun with the reader :-)
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
darylbrayman
Connoisseur
darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darylbrayman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Mini, Glo, Aura and Aura H20
Silver PRS-300

I bought my mother a silver one yesterday. She totally bricked the Bebook I gave her when I bought my 300. So in my world, I've bought two silvers and one pink. The silvers have it!!!
darylbrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
If I was going to buy a 300, I would choose pink since it is one of my favorite colors.

Please let us know what color you choose, some of us are waiting.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote