Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Chess Story by Stefan Zweig

Also known as "The Royal Game", "Chess" and "Chess: A Novel".

This is the MR Literary Club selection for April 2013. If you've already read it or would like to read it, feel free to join in the conversation at any time!

Some E-book Availability-
Original German as "Schachnovelle", Free in the Mobileread Library
Dymocks (Australia) as "The Royal Game" ($10.99 as of April 2013)
Amazon (UK) as "Chess" - Translation by David Barrett (£1.53 as of April 2013)
Amazon (UK) as "Chess" - Penguin Modern Classics Edition Translation by Anthea Bell (£2.98 as of April 2013)
Amazon (UK) as "The Royal Game" - Translation by B. W. Huebsch (£4.61 as of April 2013)
Amazon (US) as "Chess: A Novel" - Penguin Modern Classics Translation by Anthea Bell ($6.12 as of April 2013)
Amazon (US) as "Chess Story" - NY Review Books Classics Translation by Joel Rotenberg ($7.77 as of April 2013)
B&N as "Chess Story" - NY Review Books Classics Translation by Joel Rotenberg ($11.00 as of April 2013)
Kobo as "Chess" - Penguin Modern Classics Edition Translation by Anthea Bell ($4.29 as of April 2013)
Kobo as "Chess Story" - NY Review Books Classics Translation by Joel Rotenberg ($9.38 as of April 2013)

So, what are you thoughts on it?

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-08-2013 at 02:08 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Given that it's so short and the original German's available online, you could always just run it through Babelfish.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I like The Royal Game better as a title for this novella, it hints at the power struggles between the European monarchies and Hitler. The tale related by Dr. B was mesmerizing and I was surprised by the level of suspense Zweig achieved in a short story about chess.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
Hello everyone!
This is the first time for me to write something here. Because I study in a german-speaking country, I don't get enough chances to speak and write something in English. So I hope, I could express myself smoothly and don't make myself misunderstood.

I don't consider what I am writing here as a book review, but something which can evoke our discussion. I finished reading the book one month ago and appreciate it so much. Because I got used to the writing style of some modernist german writers such as Thomas Mann or Robert Musil, I don't find anything interesting and attractive from the language of Mr. Zweig as their contemporary, which seems to me a little bit emotionless and objective. On the other hand I admire his skill of story telling, who could tell the common things like chess or chess matches between a world champion and a group of common guys in such an exciting and interesting way. His ability to discover the new side from a common thing and make it a vehicle of conveying a great subject like Racism or national persecution is quite impressive. How can an author express the severity of national racism and violence through a chess game and how can it make sense, that several things without clear relationship could be connected and embody a thinking, or a critique of another thinking. He achieved it from my point of view.

Now I would like to raise something that confuses me. Before I began to read it I hadn't read anything about the background of story. That means, I didn't know anything about what would happen. I just read and found the life story of the chess genius quite charming. I had thought, it would be a story with intention of psychological analysis of a eccentric talented man but I was wrong. This interesting figure is nearly forgotten as the story get a new figure in and turn to another direction, the so-called biological story of another man. The leading role in the beginning becomes a supporting role, and I can't find any sensible try from the author to balance this two figures and make a sense. Maybe I could express myself more clearly, but if you finish reading the book, you can easily understand what I mean. I just want to ask, is it that necessary to present the world champion and his life in such a detailed way?
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Hello Spinnenmonat and welcome!

I have just finished reading Chess and I need more time to think about it, I am sure. However, my initial thought in response to your question is that Stefan Zweig gave us the background of the chess champion so that we understood that he was really like a machine - a human version of the computer called Deep Thought (I think?) that was programmed to beat a chess champion.

So the contrast was between his ability which was mechanical and without passion, and the sensitive man who was saved and then almost destroyed by chess. At first the champion's story seemed interesting, but it was as dull as he was when compared to the intensity of Dr B's story of suffering and survival.

I want to think about the book some more and will be interested to hear what others think. Is the champion representing the triumph (at the time the book was written) of Nazism and exposing its "banality of evil" as Hannah Arendt so perceptively described it?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome Spinnenmonat.

I haven't finished this yet as I'm juggling this with a couple of other books so I didn't read your post to the end, but just wanted to comment on the Thomas Mann reference. Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to pick up more of his work. I absolutely loved Death in Venice many years ago when I read it at University. I've never had an opportunity to study it in German as my command of that language is infantile at best. However, I enjoyed the book in English.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK - I've finished reading this and my first observation is that I liked the story. I particularly liked the telling of Dr B's stay with the Gestapo as I tend to like that sort of depressing topic. And in the first appearence of Dr B for the casual chess game was quite exciting.

I found it interesting that in the final game, the chess itself didn't intrigue me - the two characters did. The patience of the champion almost like a recreation of the patience of the Gestapo - waiting for its prisoner to crack. The frenetic energy of Dr B defeating himself - as he must.

I thought the champion really was a champion because it only took him one game to work out how to defeat Dr B and he did it beautifully - if cruelly. It's scary to think of him as an example of the cold and calculated actions of the Gestapo. The blunt, emotionless tormentor - the machine, carefully taking apart his enemies.

Meanwhile, Dr B is forever defeated in a way. His escape from the Gestapo came with luck and at the price of his sanity.

He forcibly created a kind of schizophrenia that was brilliantly teased by the champion into making another appearance, almost intentionally.

Maybe the story was about looking at the real cost of WWII on the captives, the psychological damage wrought by the Gestapo and other Nazi tormentors.

In any case, I'm interested in what others thought about the story.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnenmonat View Post
Now I would like to raise something that confuses me. I just read and found the life story of the chess genius quite charming. I had thought, it would be a story with intention of psychological analysis of a eccentric talented man but I was wrong. This interesting figure is nearly forgotten as the story get a new figure in and turn to another direction. The leading role in the beginning becomes a supporting role, and I can't find any sensible try from the author to balance this two figures and make a sense. I just want to ask, is it that necessary to present the world champion and his life in such a detailed way?
In my mind, I think the author had two reasons for this. The first is the "literary" necessity and the role of the World Champion as the antagonist to Dr. B. In a certain way he is a symbol of the Nazis.

I don't know if the second (much smaller) reason is right but maybe Stefan Zweig wanted to make sure that Mirko Czentovic is a product of his brain and not the personification of any of the best chess players of this time although he borrowed from this and that master. Especially the reigning world champion Alexander Aljechin did arrange himself with and supported Nazi Germany after the occupation of France.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Especially the reigning world champion Alexander Aljechin did arrange himself with and supported Nazi Germany after the occupation of France.
Interesting info. Thanks for that.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't like this much. Partially because the idea of the chess game and the self-imposed dual personality was the hook and while it was executed well, I wasn't grabbed by the notion. It would have had a lot more resonance in 1942, I think, both as an exposition of emotional brutality and because the outcome of the battle between good and evil was by no means assured.

But what really bugged me was how Zweig personified good vs. evil. "Good" is the representative of the ancien regime; someone who had benefited mightily from inherited position and weath. "Evil" is the brutish, illiterate peasant and, very annoyingly, the nouveau riche Scottish American engineer shared a lot of physical and personality traits with him. Money is good, but only if inherited, eh? Zweig makes the point that the Nazis made their greatest headway with "the legion of the unprivileged, the despised, the injured." No wonder.

Zweig personally was a child of privilege and his lost Eden was the social order of turn of the century Austria, although he resented the strictures of social mores, especially as regards sex. So while he acknowledged the motivations behind those he used to represent evil, as expressed in Chess he had no really sympathy or liking for them. A more nuanced view of both sides would have been better, but I don't think the "hook" of the chess game would have stood it, so there's the impasse for me.

That said, he made the chess game itself a nail-biter. Technically, I think we have a record, in that there were three discrete narrators. The friend who filled in "Zweig" on Czentovich's backstory suffered from the flaw shared by Noel Strachan and Dr. Watson (for those who are also reading in the other club), in that he imparted details he couldn't possibly have known.

If anyone's reading the New York Review Books edition, I'd be interested to get a sense of what Peter Gay said about the work. I read what I think must have been the original English translation by B. W. Huebsch and I don't think the work suffers for it. If anything, it has an old-timey feel that I think fits the style and story, rooted in a world that was dead.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's so many versions and translations and prices....three different English Kindle editions at Amazon that I can see, at three very different prices, as low as three dollars, two of which are apparently the same translation? Anyone know the differences?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If anyone's reading the New York Review Books edition, I'd be interested to get a sense of what Peter Gay said about the work.
The sample I downloaded of that edition appears to contain the introduction by Peter Gay, if you want to check it out.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
The sample I downloaded of that edition appears to contain the introduction by Peter Gay, if you want to check it out.
Excellent! Thank you.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Interesting Issybird. I didn't really much think about the good vs evil as I was much more interested in looking at the impacts of psychological torture and then seeing them exploited by the champion.

But - you may have answered an earlier question about why so much time was spent giving us the champion's background.

For me, although I could see somewhat of an echo of the Gestapo in the champion, I actually never saw him as evil. In fact, I developed a real appreciation of him in the way he took apart Dr B in that final game. Throughout the story I thought he was going to be taken down a peg, which I guess he was, but to me he proved why he was a champion. He understood that there was more to the game than the moves on the board, something that Dr B never really had a chance to understand.

But your post gives me more of an appreciation of what the author was probably getting at with this story.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #15
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Some interesting points here. In the end, despite his privileged earlier life, Zweig was Jewish and I think he deserves a fair amount of slack to be cut because of that. He would have known full well what the Nazis were doing to the Jews, which of course is why he had got out of Austria.

I think it is not possible for us, unless we belong to some other persecuted minority, to understand just what it must have been like to be a European Jew in the early 1940s. Even those who managed to get out probably still had family and friends who were caught up in the Holocaust.

When I was a young adult, a member of a group to which I belonged was the only child of a Jewish couple who managed to get out by good luck. They and he were the only members of their families who survived.

After the War, a lot of Holocaust survivors came to Australia, and many to Melbourne, so I have a very small inkling of what it must have been like from visiting the Holocaust Museum here, talking to people and reading accounts of their lives.

Having said that, I personally found it a bit hard to believe that someone as apparently thick as Czentovich had the subtleties of mind to become a chess champion.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote