Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Device: Asus Transformer Prime, Sony PRS-T1, HTC Sensation
(PW) Location of waterstones screensaver image

I have unpacked the paperwhite 5.3.1 update.bin image and looked through all of the .png files.

I have not found the image that is used as the waterstones screensaver image.

does anyone know where this image is?

if not I'll continue trying to locate it by scp'ing my kindle's root dir to local storage.

andy
mrspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Most possibly, they should be in /var/local/custom_screensavers directory. In zip file, I suppose. They are downloaded straight from Amazon's servers, so rootfs image doesn't include them.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark
mrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to beholdmrspaceman is a marvel to behold

Yep your right.
the waterstones screensaver image was in /var/local/custom_screensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png

so I copied over one of the original kindle screensaver images to overwrite that files, and hey presto, no waterstones screensaver.

thank you

Last edited by mrspaceman; 12-29-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaceman View Post
I have unpacked the paperwhite 5.3.1 update.bin image and looked through all of the .png files.

I have not found the image that is used as the waterstones screensaver image.

does anyone know where this image is?

if not I'll continue trying to locate it by scp'ing my kindle's root dir to local storage.

andy
First (poor) assumption above:
That the file will be visible in the simply unpacked file.

Hint:
From your ssh command line connection to the Kindle, issue:
mount
command. Take note of all the cramfs (compressed file systems) that are mounted.
Look those up in the image, mount those, then also look there.
(And if all you have available is Windoze, your S.O.L. at this point.)

OR -

Try using the
find
command starting from reasonable places in the Kindle's system tree.

OR -

As you guessed, try to copy over the mounted file system image.
**AVOIDING**: /sys , /proc, /dev, /mnt/us, (and anything else that would make the copy command hang or that is known not to have the screen saver).

A better tool than scp would be to do the copy with rsync (you can specify **ignored** parts of the file system tree with rsync - although you could also script a whole bunch of scp commands).

Remember the man(ual) command is your friend, and web search engines know it as a search term, as in:
man rsync
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yep your right.
the waterstones screensaver image was in /var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png
I'd like to add that it's not specific to Waterstone devices. Every PW with 5.3.0 or 5.3.1 should prefer images in /var/local/custom_screensavers to standard screensavers. I didn't check it, though.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

okay, I've copied a second image into the /var/local/custom_screensavers/ directory and now my kindle displays chooses one of the two images as a screensaver.

of course I've got my kindle in airplane mode so that I don't get any auto updates.

what will happen when I turn wifi on again is unknown at this point.

Last edited by mrspaceman; 12-29-2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
meh. I would just try it. probably nothing different will actually happen.

might possibly get pushed an update "one day". I doubt it will be "day one".

: )

Of course I could be wrong. then you would have to move a couple of files again!!!
Danger!!!
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

okay, I've turned wifi back on and even had a couple of books pushed through amazon.

the custom screensavers are still in place.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

wheeeeeeeee!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's good news! I may take some more drastic measures to avoid them ninja-ing their way back in for the screesavers hack, but I'm letting it simmer on the back of my brain for now... .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
twobob

Yeah, they have been very understanding to be fair. Respect for that.

*hunts around for Amazon karma button*

Last edited by twobob; 12-12-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: karamac
Old 12-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
gatesofbabylon
gatesofbabylon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (Waterstones)
Hi

Noob question here, apologies.

I have installed:
kpw_jb
kingle-usbnet-0.6.N
kindle-linkss-0.6.N
kindle-python-0.2.N

Unfortunately I still can't find /var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png directory or file, in order to replace the stock Waterstones wallpaper.

Can anyone please give me any guidance? What am I missing here?
gatesofbabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #13
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesofbabylon View Post
Hi

Noob question here, apologies.

I have installed:
kpw_jb
kingle-usbnet-0.6.N
kindle-linkss-0.6.N
kindle-python-0.2.N

Unfortunately I still can't find /var/local/custom_reensavers/bg_medium_ss00.png directory or file, in order to replace the stock Waterstones wallpaper.

Can anyone please give me any guidance? What am I missing here?
You have ssh'd onto your paperwhite?

the /var/local/custom_screensavers/ directory is on the paperwhite, not in any of the update zip files.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #14
mrspaceman
Lurker in the Dark

I just noticed (and corrected) a spelling mistake in my early post.

the directory is
/var/local/custom_screensavers/
not
/var/local/custom_reensavers/
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
gatesofbabylon
gatesofbabylon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (Waterstones)
Quote:
You have ssh'd onto your paperwhite?

the /var/local/custom_screensavers/ directory is on the paperwhite, not in any of the update zip files.
Thanks for this. Unfortunately var directory is not visible to me, which hack enables me to access var? I've only installed the three hacks I mentioned in my thread after I jailbroke.
gatesofbabylon is offline   Reply With Quote