Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Calibre very slow on a Windows7?

Ever since the last few versions of Calibre, it has become slower and slower for me. It takes a few minutes to open the program, there's a definite lag between pressing the edit metadata button till the dialog shows up, and adding a single file takes close to one minute. I don't have a large library (~300 books) and I'm using Windows 7, if it matters. Anybody has any idea why?

Also, kind of OT, but does Calibre supports the new collections feature of the Kindle?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
ejm
Enthusiast
ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ejm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook & PRS-600
Using Win7, I find Calibre takes a good 10-15 seconds to open. But it's been fairly consistent as such and I can't say I notice any deterioration over time. Any other apps slowing down on your Win7 system, or only calibre?
ejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I'm running Win 7 - 64 bit and currently still on Calibre 0.7.10...I would say time to open is 8-10 seconds. I haven't noticed in lag when hitting edit metadata. Adding a single file (book) can take longer than one might expect depending on the file type and size I guess but I haven't timed it as such. I am usually adding multiple books at a time. My library is almost 1200 titles right now.

All that said, like ejm asks...do you have any other programs that are slow on your machine? Also, in the Calibre Preferences under Advanced, what do you have set for max number of worker processes? Mine is at 4 and the checkbox underneath for limit max jobs to cores is checked on my system.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm View Post
Any other apps slowing down on your Win7 system, or only calibre?
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
All that said, like ejm asks...do you have any other programs that are slow on your machine?
Not really. Everything else runs smoothly. And a few versions back Calibre also ran smoothly, AFAIR. Then again. I'm not really stressing the machine. My needs are fairly simple. The slowest, heaviest program on my machine would have to be Firefox.

Quote:
Also, in the Calibre Preferences under Advanced, what do you have set for max number of worker processes? Mine is at 4 and the checkbox underneath for limit max jobs to cores is checked on my system.
Yep. That's the same setting that I have. I also have only two cores. So it's probably never going to use 4 worker processes.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Have you tried the "Check Database Integrity" button? (After backing up of course!)
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
duckbill
Enthusiast
duckbill began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Yes, I agree, Calibre did run very slow on my Win 7 machines. I read somewhere to exclude the following processes from virus checks:

I hope that this is not too risky.
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Have you tried the "Check Database Integrity" button? (After backing up of course!)
Sadly it didn't produce any noticeable change.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbill View Post
I read somewhere to exclude the following processes from virus checks:
You didn't write what to exclude... I went ahead and told Kaspersky not to scan Calibre or monitor it or do even look at it wrong . Still slow .
Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You might want to defragment the drive with calibre on it (c:?). The reason this might help is that the calibre program is made around 1000 small files + some number of larger ones. When you start calibre, it must open all of these. If they have become spread all over your disk, then starting calibre could slow down significantly. Defragging your library could also help, although with the size of your library I wouldn't expect it to be a huge savings.

How much memory does your machine have? If it is small (less than 2 gb), then you should look at what is running at the same time. You might have installed something that runs in the background, consuming enough memory to force your machine to start using its virtual memory file, something that kills performance. Alternatively, you might have added a lot of data that some existing program uses. For example, Thunderbird memory use is quite sensitive to the size of the mailboxes.

As a diagnostic, before you start calibre, open the resource monitor and look at memory usage: CTRL-ALT-DEL, choose task manager, choose the performance tab, push the Resource Monitor button, then the memory tab. Let your machine run for a bit without calibre started, to get a baseline. Then start calibre and see what changes. Pay attention to the used physical memory and the hard faults graphs. If memory goes to full and the hard faults goes way up, then you are out of ram.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
You didn't write what to exclude... I went ahead and told Kaspersky not to scan Calibre or monitor it or do even look at it wrong . Still slow .
If doing excludes for calibre, you should include the calibre-parallel processes as well as the main calibre program.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You might want to defragment the drive with calibre on it (c:?). The reason this might help is that the calibre program is made around 1000 small files + some number of larger ones. When you start calibre, it must open all of these. If they have become spread all over your disk, then starting calibre could slow down significantly.
That did the trick . Thanks!

I had no idea we still need to defrag drives in windows 7. Looking at the defrag utility it is scheduled to run every Wednesday night at 1:00, only I never leave the computer on at nights, so the drive was probably in a very sad shape.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Dave Berk; 08-16-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
That did the trick . Thanks!

I had no idea we still need to defrag drives in windows 7. Looking at the defrag utility it is scheduled to run every Wednesday night at 1:00, only I never leave the computer on at nights, so the drive was probably in a very sad shape.

Thanks again.
Defrag is a function of the type of filesystem on mechanical drives (probably not a great idea to do on flash drives with lifetime, limited writes).

FAT(xx), and NTFS allow file portions to be split.
Some other file systems only allow files to be written in contiguous blocks and need to be "Packed" or you may get "Out of Space" with lots of tiny empty pieces still left. Packing may be automaticly don in background.

You should also run error checks every once in a while. Specially after an ABEND or power fail.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
pckopp
Enthusiast
pckopp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, eReader
Calibre 0.7.14 and Win7 x64 on a fairly new PC.

Calibre takes 3 seconds from double-click to ready. This is opening a 2400 book library.

I'm always surprised that some conversions take as long as they do, but I have no idea what's happening under the covers.

A happy camper.

--
Phil in South Carolina
pckopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Interesting I didn't realize NTFS needed defragmenting, a good tip, chaley.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
Cryolithic
Cryolithic began at the beginning.

Device: Android - Personal Ebook App
NTFS is fairly resistant to fragmentation, but it does happen.
Cryolithic is offline   Reply With Quote