Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the new WALK cover better or worse than the old one?
Yes, it's better. 29 87.88%
No, you fool, it's worse. Why are you fixing something that ain't broke? 1 3.03%
It makes no difference. You wasted your time and money. 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Taking a Walk

THE WALK is, by far, my best-selling book on the Kindle. It out-sells the e-editions of all of my MONK novels and the e-editions of all of my previously out-of-print stuff. Every month I sell more copies than the month before. And today, a little over 12 months since I put the book on the Kindle, I reached a milestone: I sold my 7000th e-edition of THE WALK.

So today I am changing the cover.

What!? Am I insane? Why the hell would I mess with success? Because I think I can sell even more copies with a slicker, bolder, updated version of the same concept...and because it will tie in graphically with my other books on the Kindle. Besides, one of the great things about the Kindle platform is that if the change flops, I can go back to the old cover in a few hours. So here's the old cover...

And here's the new one, designed by Carl Graves.

I think Carl did an amazing job...and I predict my sales, which have gone up every month, will shoot up even more with this cover. What do you think? Am I sabotaging myself...or is this a smart move?
LeeGoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Only time will tell, but personally I prefer the first one ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
The new one looks more balanced to me. And it may be just the contrast from the red flames, but that green road in the first one ain't doing much for me.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
In my opinion you are doing the right thing with your new cover. The whole design looks more 'classic' to me. Especialy the font of the title. Also the flames look better now that they are only taking 50 % of the picture and the man on the cover now is almost in the golden ratio. So from Germany for your new cover.
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Robin O'Neill
Connoisseur
Robin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitRobin O'Neill with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PC
Bigger, simpler. Forget about detail--It doesn't "read" in a thumbnail. The more like a billboard these things are, the better.

Robin
Robin O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

I think you're right, Robin. it's how they look "small" that counts in catching the eye in the Kindle store...

Lee
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
While I do like the new cover better, the point might be moot. How do you measure the sales due to the poor smucks who see a new cover and think they are buying a new book? I was bitten by this more than once before I got organized.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

I don't see how anyone could be confused... the artwork has changed, but the title of the book, the plot of the book, and the name of the author hasn't!

And if you already bought it on the Kindle, Amazon will alert you that you have already purchased it.

Lee
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I like the old one most. The only thing better with the new one, is that the road blends better into the fire.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Overall, I like the new one better, but I find I like the fire graphic in the old one better - more contrast.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Isn't Carl the guy that does Konrath's covers?

Anyway - I like the second one better, it's pretty much the same image, but the camera is pulled up tighter. Makes the character more important than the flames in my eyes.

Oh. And Fonts. Fonts are nice too.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Yep, the same Carl.

Lee
Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
I also like the old flames better - but the rest is fabulous. Significantly better. The human figure in particular has a certain gravity that draws you in. (And though I like the old flames better - they probably wouldn't downsize as well, so it's a moot point.)

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
A cover is intended to bring attention to your book in a bookstore; to differentiate your book from the books surrounding it and to draw the potential buyer into picking your book up, and perusing it, and, hopefully, buying it. This holds on Amazon also, where your book is presented, with others, on "if you liked this book, you may also like these books" lists.

That said, both covers are very good. I would give the edge to the first cover as that was the one that drew my attention.

After looking at the thumbnails on Amazon, the second cover works better as a thumbnail.

Last edited by Angst; 07-21-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 AM   #15
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
After looking at the thumbnails on Amazon, the second cover works better as a thumbnail.
That's vitally important...because that is how the majority of Amazon customers will view/experience your cover. Few readers actually click on the cover to blow it up to full size.

Lee