Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
MeganJoan
MeganJoan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Where Do You Get Your Books? (A Survey)

Thought it might be interesting to discuss where we all get our ebooks from.

I know a lot of people buy them through Borders/Kobo or another store, some use a library, and some of us have special internet friends with eye-patches that let us download copies of their books for free.

So which way do you do it?

If you have a particular site you use and have found to be good please feel free to share!
MeganJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I've found the book depository (www.bookdepository.co.uk) to be a very nice site with good prices and a large range of SF which is sorely lacking in the Aussie online stores.

Baen books http://www.baen.com/ is the home of good online SF

A lot of the other big US sites are useless for Aussies since there seem to be irritating publisher related geographical restrictions.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I get my ebooks where I can...

Diesel
Fictionwise
Smashwords
Baen
Double Dragon et al

It is difficult at some sites to get past geographic restrictions but not impossible given enough perseverance.

Baen is the shining light if you like SFF books. Low prices, no DRM, no GR and any format ebook downloading
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
kiwikobo
Enthusiast
kiwikobo doesn't litterkiwikobo doesn't litter

All sorts of places, just tend to poke about on the internet looking for epub/ebook sites. Plenty of rubbish, plenty of good stuff. I have bought one book from the kobo store but it was extremely disappointing in its quality (and of course I don't have the epub file so haven't really 'bought' it at all as it might disappear any time). Very interested to see what replies others come up with...
kiwikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
DaveisTaken
DaveisTaken began at the beginning.

Ditto, there are some really good sites around with epub's etc...
I bought two from the borders.com.au store but as I said in another thread, they are DRM'ed and I cannot read them because it seems only the borders application will allow me to see them and sync them to my reader, and I'm on the latest 1.4 firmware so apparently that isn't compatible with the borders.com.au software yet...
DaveisTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Have a look at Dreams' Guide to ebooks - there is a link (in green) in my signature line.

Don't forget there are excellent books here on mobileread - the link in blue in my sig.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
As an Aussie I www.bookdepository.co.uk
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Other than the stores already mentioned, I have also been following the free book threads in the Deals section and have downloaded free books from both Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, and www.bewrite.net. My first purchase was from Kobobooks.com (Dust of Dreams).
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
jimhanas
Practitioner
jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: iPhone/iPad
I've been tracking where I get my books with Goodreads. I definitely now read more e than p -- most of the print books I read, I pull off my own shelves. Most of my purchases are from Amazon and most of my free downloads are from Feedbooks, although I have bought from Kobo and downloaded free stuff from Smashwords as well.

Last edited by jimhanas; 07-11-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Misleading link
jimhanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yep, I get my books from multiple sources. I usually look around for the best price and go from there. I have purchased from Smashwords and Fictionwise mostly. As well, I have grabbed free stuff from Baen, Gutenberg, and many other sources. When all of the above have let me down, I have sailed into the darknet to find what I seek.

I have also used my local library but find they are really slow to get newer titles and the wait times on anything popular is insane. I have considered grabbing an international membership for the Philadelphia Free Libary at $15 U.S. but haven't done so yet.

Regardless of where I get my books, I strip the DRM to ensure my purchases are safe. With the exception of the library books of course.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
thekidintheclock
thekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipse

best spot to find e-books: inkmesh.com - i usually only grab the free stuff, but you can find $5 books sometimes.
thekidintheclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
jimhanas
Practitioner
jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.jimhanas can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: iPhone/iPad
I just discovered inkmesh and was amazed. It returned every location of my own books -- and all the titles by a few indie authors I know. Very impressive.
jimhanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #13
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
I am new to all this ...So just Amazon, Borders, Smash--- (for a participant here's book, Risen) ... and I am not gonna say where I found a copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird" yesterday.

Need to add BeWrite Books at http://bewrite.net/ - a couple of very intriguing titles there!

Last edited by clintbradford; 07-13-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added BeWrite Books.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I must be a heathen... i just use the kobo store.
I can't be arsed with using like, 3-5 different programs just to get something readable and then onto my kobo. At least i know the stuff from the kobo site is going to work straight off the bat, even if it is slow off the mark.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... I must be a heathen ...

YES, you HEATHEN! (grin) Add me to your "I am a Kobo heathen" bumper sticker mailing list, please.

I have only been involved with the Internet for about 25 years. My wife is pleased with her Kindle 2 that I bought her as a Christmas present last year (we've been married 20 years, so giving each other "hardware" items is OK ... although I do NOT recommend newlyweds give each other hardware (nor software) gifts in their first ten years of wedded bliss). And, honestly, I was JUST thinking to myself ...

Should I feel guilty for enjoying my Kobo as much as I am?

You know what's next: "Clint, you could have WiFi and a easily-replaceable battery with a Nook!" Or, "Dude, just save up an amount the same as totaling three or four online books, and purchase another Kindle2."

And I bought my Kobo (or is it, "kobo"?) sight un-seen - a Borders US pre-sale for arrival last month.

I dunno ... maybe it's the Pina Coladas talkin' tonight ... But I am enjoying my Kobo and the "growing pains" that we've experienced the past month. I cannot IMAGINE Amazon.com being as receptive and transparent as the fine folks at Kobo corporate have been for us this past month. My Kobo lets me read my purchased books and the .pdf docs I have loaded onto my SD card without failure. Do I NEED WiFi? If I leave the house with my Kobo, is there really going to be a scenario where I run into someone who tells me, "You absolutely gotta purchase this book - it's a killer!" while I am on vacation?

OK, so the Pina Coladas ARE typing ...

Long live Kobo.

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote