Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
bkelly
bkelly is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Opus, Dell Axim X51V
My "first" ereader -- the Opus

I've been reading ebooks for several years, first on a Palm, then on a Dell Axim X51V. The Dell has served me well, but now that there's a ton of dedicated ereaders available I thought it's about time I try one. So after much research, including reading many posts here on Mobileread, I've selected the Opus as my "first" ereader. I now have one on order from BooksOnBoard, which was the only place I found that offerred the Opus for under $200.

So why did I select the Opus? Well, I think it looks great, it's a perfect size for me since I read primarily when I travel (and I travel a lot due to my job), and it's not loaded with features I don't care about (e.g., keyboard, wireless, little color windows).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll enjoy this new reading experience, and that I'll have some positive comments to post once I've actually used the Opus.
bkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, bkelly.

Enjoy the forums and your new reader....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
graypal
graypal began at the beginning.

Device: cybook opus, kindle paperwhite
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I was in the same position as you before I bought an opus just before Christmas, and I picked it for exatly the same reasons.

Only had it for a couple of days, but it is every bit as good as I could have hoped for.

Its miles better than reading on my old PDA and I would recommend the opus to anyone.

I have updated the firmware even though mine was only a little out of date, because I wanted to use a dictionary and rss feeds that I was more used to with mobireader on my PDA and it has made ir even better in my opinion.

Hope you like yours as much.

Gray
graypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Welcome to MR!

You made an excellent choice. I also recently bought an Opus and I'm loving it. Mine had some freezing issues, but the new firmware is out and hopefully that has taken care of the problem. I've had no freezes since the update *knock on wood*.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
bkelly

Opus is a keeper

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome!

I wanted to post this follow-up to say that I am thoroughly enjoying reading on the Opus. Some of the things I enjoy most about it are its:
- Small size. It's small enough to be very easy to hold for long periods, yet large enough to have a screen that displays plenty of text even with the font size cranked up (Verdana, level 9). (The text comment applies to Mobipocket books, not, in my experience, EPUB books.)
- Automatic screen orientation. This one feature makes the Opus even that much more comfortable when reading in landscape mode because I can shift hands and still keep the page-forward button within easy reach (i.e., either on the far right side or the far left side).
- Non-reflective and almost non-glare screen. Reflections were an issue with my PDA, so I couldn't read with any bright windows behind me. Windows are almost impossible to avoid in airports, which I spend a lot of time in.

Last edited by bkelly; 01-05-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
mmatbot
mmatbot began at the beginning.

Device: cybook orizon
@bkelly
Hi, how was your experience with BooksOnBoard buying process, shipping etc...(any hidden costs?) Thanks for your advice
mmatbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
bkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmatbot View Post
@bkelly
Hi, how was your experience with BooksOnBoard buying process, shipping etc...(any hidden costs?) Thanks for your advice
It went very well. The order was processed very quickly and I had the reader in exactly 1 week, which I thought was great considering that I placed the order right in the middle of a holiday season.