Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Onyx BOOX Hands on at CeBIT

I hope this is okay with the site, but I just noticed a hands on article on engadget with the Onyx. Mods, please delete if I did anything wrong.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/03/v...boox-e-reader/
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
nice find ! the interface looks really fast. i'm surprised though because i had supposed they were using the wacom tactile screen (underneath the e-ink level) since we always see them using a stylus, but the screen seemed very reflective, as if the tactile layer were on top...

the only problem with those salon videos is there is so much background noise i think i could only hear about 1/3 of what the guy was saying. i did hear that you can add / use whatever dictionary you want (yay !), and they also said that it should be available for sale around june, at a price point less than the sony 700 (which is 400$). of course, that could easily mean it will sell for 390$...

definitely one to watch though. if the touch screen can also be used to turn pages, and will accept input from fingers as well as stylus for basic actions (page turn, menu selection) it could be a very interesting competitor for the 700.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Yes, definitely tough to hear with all the background noise. The thing that struck me is that navigation seemed very dependent on the pen, much like the irex dr series. Responsiveness/speed seemed to be very good. I also noticed the screen was severely scratched which may indicate a plastic layer that isn't anywhere near as durable as a glass layer, similar to iphone, would be. Nevertheless, it's exciting to see different models with different capabilities coming to market. I personally can't wait to see what the Wizpac txtr looks like.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
I wonder if they'll take any note of the feedback on the reflective screen. All the comments on engadget are about how the reflective screen is not good for reading
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Looks interesting, but there's something about it that irks me and I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm waiting now for any news and videos on the Txtr and see how that is in the flesh, so to speak
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I tested the unit on CeBIT and it looks pretty good but people in the booth told me that they have plans to change the body of the unit to make it more attractive. They also had the sample of the units with 8 and 9" screens.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
mobelby
Zealot

Kris777,

What was your view on the reflectiveness of the screen and also the refresh rate when turning a page ?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobelby View Post
I wonder if they'll take any note of the feedback on the reflective screen. All the comments on engadget are about how the reflective screen is not good for reading
I don't know what you mean. All eInk devices have a reflective screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Kris777,

What was your view on the reflectiveness of the screen and also the refresh rate when turning a page ?

Thanks
It has the same eInk screen that Sony has and refresh rate the same. I didn't find any difference.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know what you mean. All eInk devices have a reflective screen.

BOb
I think he means the screen had a more reflective/glossy finish as opposed to the more matte finish of most of the devices.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
mobelby
Zealot

Thanks for translating my comments into American English for pilotbob to read, Mr Goodbar
That is exactly what I meant.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I think he means the screen had a more reflective/glossy finish as opposed to the more matte finish of most of the devices.
Ah... ok.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #13
windtalker
windtalker began at the beginning.

Device: none
I had a chance to use their sample device (BOOX) before, the reflectiveness is because the protection film isn't removed. They said they will remove it when mass production, or users can remove them by themselves.

Last edited by windtalker; 03-03-2009 at 11:48 PM.
windtalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:52 PM   #14
mobelby
Zealot

Thanks Windtalker.

My benchmark for clarity of a screen is the Iliad v2.
If you've seen the Iliad v2, how does it compare?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #15
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks Windtalker.

My benchmark for clarity of a screen is the Iliad v2.
If you've seen the Iliad v2, how does it compare?
Great question. My v2 with viziplex definitely seems easier to read than my kindles or Sony. I'm not sure if it has to do with their own customization or if it might be as simple as the fonts they use, but I do notice a difference. If it didn't take one minute to boot and was faster it would be great.

Tags
boox, onyx