Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 PM   #31
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, "codices" would be the correct Latin plural, but "codexes" is just fine too in English.
From the Delerium-Webster dictionary:

Quote:
Codex \ˈkäd'-eks\ n. singluar. A former spouse sharing several traits with a dead fish.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:31 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
A cormorant is a sea bird.
We call 'em "snake-birds" because when they're in the water about all you see is their necks and heads, which look like a snake rearing up out of the water.

Hey, maybe Nessie is a great big cormorant!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Part of the pleasure reading science fiction is to be introduced to new things like "decanting drugs" and "cryocap" and learn by continue to read what they mean. Its part of the world building and your experience learning the new world. I just bought Richard Morgans Black Man in paperback and will soon read it. It sounded interesting when he talked about the book at a science fiction convention where he was guest of honor.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #34
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
We call 'em "snake-birds" because when they're in the water about all you see is their necks and heads, which look like a snake rearing up out of the water.

Hey, maybe Nessie is a great big cormorant!
The cormorant does not have the typical feather coat other aquatic birds have and thus does not have the same buoyancy ie the reason they float low in water. The same fact also has them standing with outspread wings for hours to dry out. That would be quite fitting to that expression "Cormorant Legacy", I would venture towards its meaning "Never being on top of things".
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #35
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3

The common cormorant (or shag)
Lays eggs inside a paper bag,
You follow the idea, no doubt?
It's to keep the lightning out.

But what these unobservant birds
Have never thought of, is that herds
Of wandering bears might come with buns
And steal the bags to hold the crumbs.

-- Christopher Isherwood
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #36
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
"Codices," yes. I did know that. Perhaps my brain is getting old.

I read sf partly because I love learning new words, or seeing words I know used in new ways. (Though I don't mean calling a scroll a codex!)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:10 AM   #37
Goshzilla
Zealot
Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Goshzilla has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket Ebook 1150
Did the author confuse a "Rolodex" with a Codex?

This reminds me of a controversy that stemmed around the use of several hyphens in the movie title: The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Alot of people thought there were too many hyphens in the title.

If you remove the first hyphen, it means there are 40 year-old virgins

remove the second hyphen it it makes it seem like 40 years there is an old virgin.

I wonder if they had to hire an entire english department to get the title right, because I remember reading some of the letters written in Roger Ebert column about the title and it was pretty funny.
Goshzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #38
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I only pick on people I like, Jason. And I'm really enjoying Heretic.
Thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying it.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 AM   #39
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Someone who has read Black Man answered to my questions:

dorsal implies running along the top, back or spine of a ship, station or structure - like the dorsal fin of a fish that runs along its spine - the opposite is ventral

decanting means pouring out into another vessel - in context the "decanting drugs" are used when one is "poured out" of a cryocap; presumably in order to prevent shock.

In context the word "cormorant" is used as a code word; you'll understand later in the book as I do think it is more fully explained.

astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I did in fact answer you too, AL, in post #29 on the previous page .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:31 AM   #41
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did in fact answer you too, AL, in post #29 on the previous page .
Yes, thank you very much
Howevere, this is the reason why I said
Quote:
Someone who has read Black Man
Do you see any difference between your answer and the one above?

Your answers were pretty much dictionary like. Except A cormorant is a sea bird I found most of them myself. I didn't have to be smart..goggle helped me but it didn't help me much in reading the book.

Thanks anyway!
Old 11-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #42
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshzilla View Post
Did the author confuse a "Rolodex" with a Codex?

This reminds me of a controversy that stemmed around the use of several hyphens in the movie title: The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Alot of people thought there were too many hyphens in the title.

If you remove the first hyphen, it means there are 40 year-old virgins

remove the second hyphen it it makes it seem like 40 years there is an old virgin.

I wonder if they had to hire an entire english department to get the title right, because I remember reading some of the letters written in Roger Ebert column about the title and it was pretty funny.
As I've seen it often written in French, the word codex is used in a figurative sense as a repository of ancient laws, or codes. When you think of ancient, you think of scrolls. Probably this author tried to use it this way. The proper meaning of codex is identical from French to English.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #43
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
He cannot look up "Codex" or any other word in a dictionary anymore. He passed away half year ago I think.

I was not impressed by Belgariad.
I found it way too simple, naive, very young adult type fantasy.
He is a great fantasy author for kids and teenagers to get them into fantasy (10-15 years old). However, if you read him for the first time when you are older, after you have read a lot of other fantasy works then it is meh...

If I am not mistaken, The Belgariad was rebranded kid's fiction. Which suits it quite well
David Eddings is still kicking. It was his wife Leigh who passed away this year. She died of complications from a series of strokes in February.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
AL,

I agree with you entirely that Eddings' books are simple, unsophisticated stories in which the "good guys" always win. Sometimes it's just nice to read stories like that when you don't feel like anything too "heavy". I read lots of more "serious" stuff too, but Eddings is nice when I want to relax with a pleasant story.

The Belgariad (or at least the last three books in the series) has recently been released as a MobiPocket eBook, which is what prompted me to re-read it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #45
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
David Eddings is still kicking. It was his wife Leigh who passed away this year. She died of complications from a series of strokes in February.
Oh, shame on me