Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Linking your first impressions so far, thx.

I know it's not reading related, but the device is suppose to be PSP certified, whatever that means, is there any meat to that or is it just another marketing check box?

=X=
I've got the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY, which is Playstation certified as well.
I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same, although I've read some misleading reviews.
Some reviews call it "PSP" certified. I didn't find this in the Sony specs and the Xperia PLAY doesn't have it either.
Xperia PLAY is "Playstation certified" and the website states the very same for the tablet.
Meaning: You can play the old PSOne titles. Some of them are available from Sony. So far, it's only about a dozen titles and not even the best ones.
But by reverse-engineering, the original Sony emulator was hacked and now you easily can add your own PSOne titles. I did so successfully with R-Types and Metal Slug X.
The Sony emulator works great, but so did the other 3rd party emulators before.

Quite frankly, personally I'd never go for a PSOne game with onscreen controls. That's why I bought the Xperia PLAY, which basically has PSP controls.
In addition to onscreen controls, I'm sceptical about the size of the tablet. You conveniently can hold Dell Streak or iPhone for example in your hands, similar to an original handheld. But I'd never do so with iPad or another tablet >7".
I've tried the "fling" controls, but didn't like them either.

So:
I'm 99.99% sure you can't play PSP games. It's "Playstation certified" = PSONe titles.
Those you already perfectly can play with at least 4 3rd party emulators.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-29-2011 at 09:45 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
I wrote up my experience with the Sony tablet S on my blog here this morning. In short, while it has some nice features, I had problems with the battery and the cheap/plastic-y feel of the device and returned it after just 3 days. I ended up buying the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 instead. While the Sony has more ports/extra features..I love the size & feel of the smaller Galaxy Tab. I think the 8.9 inch screen is the perfect size for me (7 inch a little too small, 10.1 inch a little too big).

Happy to answer questions about the Sony S or the new Galaxy Tab 8.9.
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #18
FredO
FredO began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Tablet S, Amazon Kindle, Kobo Touch
I just purchased a Sony Tablet S1 from Future Shop here in Canada. So far I am impressed by most things.

First Impressions:

* Received full day usage out of battery - using WIFI, checking email and reading books.

* Like the form factor - I find it much more comfortable to the hand than the iPad 1 or 2.

* Android is much different from IOS, but when I did a bit of reading I managed to get my local (Shaw) email account configured and the google, hotmail, etc. accounts went on with no problems at all.

* Have already managed to get it syncing with my iMac and foresee no problems getting syncing going with my notebook computer (Gateway).

* I have books from 4 major suppliers and have had no problems. These are Sony Reader Store, Kobo Books, Kindle Books and Books on Board. I also am reading books from Baen using Bluefire app.

* I can not say the device feels flimsy to me - I can not flex it, it sits nice in the had, and it is balanced for easy reading in the portrait position.

* As far as setting up the WIFI, I use WPA2 and a very long key for security, and I had no problems getting set up whatsoever.

Hope this helps a few people.

Fred.
FredO is offline   Reply With Quote