Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
cheyennedonna
Edge User

My Backup file won't work on another device

I had a backup on my external SD card for just this type of emergency. However, trying to restore my old library to my PE doesn't work. The PE reports the backup belongs to another device.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Dr. T
Edge User

Ugh. That surprises me. My understanding was that you could swap SD cards whenever you wanted. Can you just copy the files from SD to microSD without doing the restore? Or, was your library not on the SD card?

Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

I've always kind of worried that this might be the case. It suggests that if you lose/destroy your eDGe, your backup will be useless in trying to restore your data to your replacement device...

Old 04-19-2011, 10:27 PM   #4
Dr. T
Edge User

One would think Tech Support might be able to provide a solution, though. Maybe someone like Adiposius who owns multiple EEs or PEs could try it on their devices?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
Ugh. That surprises me. My understanding was that you could swap SD cards whenever you wanted. Can you just copy the files from SD to microSD without doing the restore? Or, was your library not on the SD card?
My library was on the edge main, it seemed useless to move it since you don't get to use the 3GB for anything else. Plus there were a couple of reported problems with moving it. I have copies of all my files and books, but not of my Journal notes , i.e. class notes and work and none of annotations on PDF files or books. Disaster for sure.

Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I've always kind of worried that this might be the case. It suggests that if you lose/destroy your eDGe, your backup will be useless in trying to restore your data to your replacement device...
Unless tech has some magic way to extract the esi file. Speaking of tech, it's nothing like it used to be. The phone is answered by a semi rude outsourced "level 1" tech, whose job seems to be to take info and assure you you case will go to a level 3 support person. Unfortunately, I never heard back on my last support request; I'm not very confident at this moment.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
borisb
Edge User

I'm pretty sure enTourage is down to 2-3 part-time people at this point. Most people are probably working other jobs now, having quit altogether or remaining somewhat available to enTourage if and when something needs doing. Management itself are probably all gone except for possibly someone like the President & CEO who is probably most likely no longer drawing pay and may be part-time themselves. There's no receptionist even, and I wonder how long they'll even be able to retain their (empty) offices. Indeed, they may already lost the office space, with the new tenants (or property management) forwarding any mail to a PO box (office space is incredibly expensive when, especially with almost no sales and practically noone even working there anymore).

Level 3 support probably is down to a single part-time person (likely one of the core developers) who checks things once a week. Same with RMAs and repairs.

You'll notice that none of the admins are patrolling these forums anymore to even just casually read posts (although they do seem to remain active in banning people and responding to spam alerts).

Again, having gone through such a "shutdown" myself at a startup (which fizzled down to just one person operating out of a condo), the above is my guess based on observations and my own experience in apparently identical circumstances.

Last edited by borisb; 04-19-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Scary thought, sad too. I know how hard it is to get a job - I've been trying for years and even was desperate enough to apply to Apple as a work at home tech - and I got turned down. That was depressing, I really know tech and customer service.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I'm pretty sure enTourage is down to 2-3 part-time people at this point. Most people are probably working other jobs now, having quit altogether or remaining somewhat available to enTourage if and when something needs doing. Management itself are probably all gone except for possibly someone like the President & CEO who is probably most likely no longer drawing pay and may be part-time themselves. There's no receptionist even, and I wonder how long they'll even be able to retain their (empty) offices. Indeed, they may already lost the office space, with the new tenants (or property management) forwarding any mail to a PO box (office space is incredibly expensive when, especially with almost no sales and practically noone even working there anymore).

Level 3 support probably is down to a single part-time person (likely one of the core developers) who checks things once a week. Same with RMAs and repairs.

You'll notice that none of the admins are patrolling these forums anymore to even just casually read posts (although they do seem to remain active in banning people and responding to spam alerts).

Again, having gone through such a "shutdown" myself at a startup (which fizzled down to just one person operating out of a condo), the above is my guess based on observations and my own experience in apparently identical circumstances.
Ugh. This is so sad.
Let's hope Cheyenne's problems get resolved quickly and our devices hold out for quite some time!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #10
borisb
Edge User

Of course, having said all that, I should have added that we can be very very grateful these forums are still up and that enTourage is offering any technical support and warranty service at all. I have no doubt that any cash they have is going into funding these services.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Dr. T
Edge User

Very true. I am sure that many of the staff have also made sacrifices to ensure that the Forum and our devices stay up and running as long as possible.

It is just very sad to see such a customer-centric company with an amazingly useful, fun, and novel device go under.

Despite some of the issues listed in this and other threads, I guess we can take heart in the fact that the majority of the eDGes out there are still running well and should continue to do so for quite a while.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Filark
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
Very true. I am sure that many of the staff have also made sacrifices to ensure that the Forum and our devices stay up and running as long as possible.

It is just very sad to see such a customer-centric company with an amazingly useful, fun, and novel device go under.

Despite some of the issues listed in this and other threads, I guess we can take heart in the fact that the majority of the eDGes out there are still running well and should continue to do so for quite a while.
Agree. Thank you for putting it so well, Dr. T!

Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
larka2006
Edge User

Has anyone was able to resolve to move of backup to another device? I just tried to move library to another PE (old one run dingo and new one updated to Ermine). I have 2 now as back up and was looking into "what if" schenario if one becomes damaged/etc... I got message "the library was created on other device" ...

Old 05-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by larka2006 View Post
Has anyone was able to resolve to move of backup to another device? I just tried to move library to another PE (old one run dingo and new one updated to Ermine). I have 2 now as back up and was looking into "what if" schenario if one becomes damaged/etc... I got message "the library was created on other device" ...
I was able to unzip my backup and save my journals with kenjennings help in this thread http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...vage-my-backup
I suggest emailing your journals and annotated pages to yourself as a an emergency record. Plus keep a backup copy of all your books on another drive.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
larka2006
Edge User

Thank, Cheyenne, I was following instruction in that link by kenjennings, and was using SqLite3 to fix device SN, have not go through for me, after restoring "fixed" file to another PE, got this message "Invalid Backup file - There was an error verifying your back up file. Please, try again latter." But all files are perfectly visible on PC. New PE just not see files in sdcard folder... After I removed . before folder name on PC, and opened it from usb-flash on new PE, all files are visible. I was able to add journals to new library and update/rename them. I don't have a lot of Journals, so this works and this is comforting to know that data can be saved.